Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php

6 out of the original 7 wonders of the world are gone. So they're naming new wonders.
They've got it narrowed down to 21 and people can vote.

I think this is pretty cool, I don't exactly agree with the 21 they've narrowed it down to (statue of liberty isn't that amazing but the panama canal is pretty freaking incredible)

My choices, of the ones they're offering are (in no order):
The Great Pyrimids
The Great Wall of China
The Colosseum
Christ the Redeemer
Petra
Taj Mahal
Angkor

CORY
CORY
Posted at

That is an awesome idea. As to which to pick I'm not so sure, but they would most likely be the older of the rest, on account that they did not have the technology we have in our civilization today when making them!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'd pick the Jahre Viking, (now the Knock Nevis). That ship is almost half a kilometer long!
The world's largest man made moving object…

But no one esle likes ships quite that much… :(

Posted at

How about the spruce goose? I mean, largest plane that actually worked.

plus yogi bear flew it, so it's got that going for it :-P

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

How about the spruce goose? I mean, largest plane that actually worked.

plus yogi bear flew it, so it's got that going for it :-P

I think the Russian Miryia is actually bigger. and that works fine, quite a bit better than the Goose ever did.
I think they made some hydro plains that were even bigger too (not completely sure how big), they don't fly very high but they fly better than the Goose. Then there's the new double decker Airbus. I don't think that's much bigger than the Goose, but it too works perfectly (they just have trouble producing them on time).
I belive the Spruce Goose is still the biggest wooden aeroplane ever, and I'm pretty sure it still has the longest wingspan (just by a small bit), of any aeroplane ever.

As to the original wonders, from memory the Pyrimids of Giza are the only one's still standing. There was also the Collossus of Rhodes, The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, The lighthouse at Alexandria (I think, somewhere Greek anyway) and I can't recall the rest… Maybe there was a statue of Zues or Athena that was really impressive?

Mimarin
Mimarin
Posted at

How exactly are we defining a wonder now?

pshumate
pshumate
Posted at

The original Seven Wonders are/were the Great Pyramid of Giza, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, The Temple of Artemis (Ephesus), the Statue of Zeus at Olympia, the Mausoleum of Maussollos (this was the one I never remember), the Colossus of Rhodes and the Lighthouse of Alexandria. As has been said, only the Pyramid of Giza remains.

There's also the somewhat ill-defined Seven Wonders of the Medieval World, a revised Seven Wonders of the Modern World and the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.

Posted at

I'm kind of a bit upset that the CN Tower isn't on there but I suppose that's just Canadian pride talking. :(

hat
hat
Posted at

Hands down

Easter Island statues (creepyness right there)

Then the Giza Pyramids… Stonehenge should be on there

Posted at

the tower of piza and the cn tower were both on the original list of the 77

Also I'm not that impressed by stonehenge, so they moved some heavy rocks a really far way, big deal. They didn't even do anything with them, they stood them up in a circle. the pyrimids they had to move more heavier peices of stone and build shit with them.

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

Also I'm not that impressed by stonehenge, so they moved some heavy rocks a really far way, big deal. They didn't even do anything with them, they stood them up in a circle. the pyrimids they had to move more heavier peices of stone and build shit with them.

..you try doing that.

(Anyways, the appealing thing about Stonehenge is the mystery.)

(edit: the internet should be on that list.)

draxenn
draxenn
Posted at

they didn't have the man/slave power that the pyramid builders had.
And they treked those stones FAR.
And, no one is sure why they did this. Pyramids are evident. They're tombs.
Stonehedge? No one's sure. Some think it's a calender, others think it's a stargate and others think it's a place of power and ritual.

What about the coral castle? is that there? That's pretty neat, and the guy built it himself.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

The best thing about Stonehenge is that it's pre-celtic. All that stuff about Druids is silly… Well not quite all, they did take over the sites and use them after the original builders were long gone. Stonehenge is one of the relics of really old Britain.

-Niagra falls are natural, so they can't be on this list.

I don't think The Sydney Opera house should be there, it's really not that amazing. It's an interesting shape, but then there are a LOT of interestingly shaped BIG buildings in the world.
NASA's Crawler should be there… That gigantic moveable tracked launchpad, it's pretty amazing. One of the biggest land vehicles. Also that gigantic coal mining auger in Germany, it's collossal, a real engeneering feat.

Vaoni
Vaoni
Posted at

I personally dont think the Effiel Tower or Sydney Opera house should be on there..not really.. wonders..just popular.

It's a shame Notre Dame isnt on there though. That cathedral is absolutely gorgeous and amazing, in my opinion.
I'd love to see the Roman Colosseum make it in the 7, along with Stonehenge and the Statues of Easter Island.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'd mostly agree with you Vaoni, but the Roman Colosseum is pretty much like the Eifel Tower and the Syney Opera house in that it's just popular. It's really half a ruin…
There are better preserved examples of antique mega-architecture. There's even an almost complete Roman Colosseum in Tunisia.

Vaoni
Vaoni
Posted at

I'd mostly agree with you Vaoni, but the Roman Colosseum is pretty much like the Eifel Tower and the Syney Opera house in that it's just popular. It's really half a ruin…
There are better preserved examples of antique mega-architecture. There's even an almost complete Roman Colosseum in Tunisia.

I was going by mostly the fact that its pretty amazing that they built such a thing. Plus i'm kinda biased because i think the Romans were awesome.
(I also never knew about the one in Tunisia)

But yea, so it's half a ruin, but unfortuately you cant preserve something forever.
Stonehenge is also only half of itself too from what researchers gather.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I was going by mostly the fact that its pretty amazing that they built such a thing. Plus i'm kinda biased because i think the Romans were awesome.
(I also never knew about the one in Tunisia)

But yea, so it's half a ruin, but unfortuately you cant preserve something forever.
Stonehenge is also only half of itself too from what researchers gather.
Here you go:Tunisia
It's more broken than I thought, still, it's more original than the one in Rome, that one's been 'rebuilt' a bit…
As to preserving things, they did the opposite mostly; taking it apart to build and repair other structures, they did that for hundreds of years.
The Pantheon dates from around the same time and it's really much more impressive and WAY better 'preserved'.

Yeah! Pedantic, opinionated, know-it-all Ozone is back!

The Petronus towers ARE pretty cool

Posted at

I haven't heard someone use the word pedantic since describing my senior thesis

Vaoni
Vaoni
Posted at

Here you go:Tunisia
It's more broken than I thought, still, it's more original than the one in Rome, that one's been 'rebuilt' a bit…
As to preserving things, they did the opposite mostly; taking it apart to build and repair other structures, they did that for hundreds of years.
The Pantheon dates from around the same time and it's really much more impressive and WAY better 'preserved'.

Yeah! Pedantic, opinionated, know-it-all Ozone is back!

The Petronus towers ARE pretty cool

Coool, thanks for looking that up for me.
Didnt realise that the one in Rome had been rebuilt somewhat. Makes me wonder how many other ancient buildings have had that treatment.
Guess its necessary to keep them up longer. Better than tearing them down anyhow.

TdotOdot2k
TdotOdot2k
Posted at

I'm half offended the CN Tower and Stonehenge aren't there. Both are archetectual masterpieces for the time periods they were built in.

…that and half the things on the list aren't that "wonderous". >_>

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'm half offended the CN Tower and Stonehenge aren't there. Both are archetectual masterpieces for the time periods they were built in.
Stonehenge IS there… Have another look at the list :)

I voted for Timbuktu! Yay! It was founded by the Tuareg's. My comic character is dressed as a Tuareg at the moment… I like those guys.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.