Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Goblyn
Goblyn
Posted at

Too Big!

That's really all I have to say about that…

T_K
T_K
Posted at

I have a widescreen whoopeee…. so I really dont care ;D

Volte6
Volte6
Posted at

You can choose between the two with custom tags :D

Enef
Enef
Posted at

i just right click block ads from the web address, i think you can only do it in firefox though

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

You can choose between the two with custom tags :D

That may well be, but the DD front page still looks horrible to visitors. I think if these ads are needed for income, the page needs to be re-formatted badly.

Here's how CROOKS and LIARS handles it. I don't really like it that much, but at least it doesn't screw with the formatting below.

.: SpANG! :.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Here's how CROOKS and LIARS handles it. I don't really like it that much, but at least it doesn't screw with the formatting below.
There's nothing wrong with that, although they'd be much better of changing the colour of that area to black (more likely yellow in their case) and centering the add…

alejkhan
alejkhan
Posted at

yeah, it's all about pushing the ad to the top, in the webpage gutter, as it were…the empty space, the place that doesn't count. Scrolling down=good, scrolling right=poo.

marine
marine
Posted at

I want my ads at the main bottom of my page, but damn coding, I can't seem to do it right.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Arrg! Half of these ads are flashing 'Who is this person's real name' ads, and the other half are people with nearly no cloths on in those 'Mate1' ads. GAH! THIS ISN'T HOW WE WANT DRUNK DUCK TO BE SEEN!

I could go for more of those E-THanku ads though. They don't flash and actually look kind of comick-y.

Axonite
Axonite
Posted at

I've seen that size for a while at Comixpedia, ComicGen, and Blank Label. (And probably lots of other places too, but I'm just thinking of comic related sites at the moment.)

JTPokie
JTPokie
Posted at

My main gripe.. is my main monitor is an old.. not able to display more then 1024 x 768, so that means… Side scrolling. *blech*

JT

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

My main gripe.. is my main monitor is an old.. not able to display more then 1024 x 768
time to upgrade then? ^^
Monitors are pretty cheap these days, even second hand.

Still, 1024 x 768 is perfectly ok. Even at 1280 x 1024 I only ever look at web pages within a windowed screen and so I prefer web pages that stick to either 1024 x 768, or preferably 800x600 because I can minimize them more.

That's why I always make my own sites less than 800 wide.

Posted at

Most laptops won't do more than 1024x768, you really need a 17" monitor to view any higher resolution. Since I'm on laptops both at home and at work, people that assume that everyone should have a higher resolution by now really annoy me.

Goblyn
Goblyn
Posted at

That's right munkee! Just because there are bigger monitors/resolutions available, dosen't meant hat everyone can take advantage of them.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

All pages should conform all the way down to 800 x 600. Not everyone has big monitors, or good vision for that matter. :wink:

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

All pages should conform all the way down to 800 x 600. Not everyone has big monitors, or good vision for that matter. :wink:

Then they should turn high contrast mode and windows magnifier on, or STOP LIVING IN THE PAST.

I mean, hell, I've got 10 year old monitors with 1024 support.
First of all, Windows Magnifier sucks.
Secondly, if you want to use your philosophy, go right ahead. You'll just be discounting a still large part of the population that uses 800 x 600. But hey, that's your call.
I just know that NOBODY likes to scroll right. :wink:

radarig
radarig
Posted at

So I'm basically dealing with a 2% breakdown of people who read my comic operating at 800 x 600. Now, if I dont have a demographic that operates at that low a resolution, why should I bother to conform to their needs?

Large portion my large ass.

I don't think individual comic sites should feel like they have to go out of their way for the 2%, as there's artistic needs and what-not, but the main page of the entire site needs to be at least a little dynamic. I use a mac, and the difference between a site that is "optimized for 1078" and a site that "pushes the limits of 1078" is very important when my GUI is geared towards multi-window.

I'm pretty sure Volte stamped out this "design" on the main page in a few hours with function over form considerations, but it's been a few months now and it still looks like a steaming pile.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

So I'm basically dealing with a 2% breakdown of people who read my comic operating at 800 x 600. Now, if I dont have a demographic that operates at that low a resolution, why should I bother to conform to their needs?

Large portion my large ass.
… or maybe that's WHY you only have 2% of them reading your comic. That's your call, and there's no reason to be hostile about it. I really could care less about how your website looks. I was reffering to the DD page (remember, the TOPIC of Discussion?)

But remember, people have done ACTUAL RESEARCH conform thier websites to 800x600. I picked out 4 big names at random:
Comedy Central
Verizon
Century 21
Coke
…. and, aw, hell I don't know, think of ANY big company and I can pretty much guarentee it. But I'm sure they know nothing about demographics. :roll:

GOA even has a small portion with 640x480 reading.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

The thing is that you really should go for the smaller size (800X600, not the teeny 640 one). It makes the most sense because pretty much everyone can see your site as its meant to be seen then. A nice, well centred slim site that fits in the 800 width without scrolling is good.

It shits me when I see a pro, big business site where they’ve had the sense to make it just less than 800 pix wide, but then they go and make it so it hugs the left hand side of the screen, leaving miles of empty space on the right.
So it goes both ways: make a site that will look ok on 800 and up. There are lots of ways to make it adaptable.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Good Idea. :-D

There are also ppl with PDA's and cell-phones that cruise the i-net, too. Res is way under 300 for them.

radarig
radarig
Posted at

It shits me when I see a pro, big business site where they’ve had the sense to make it just less than 800 pix wide, but then they go and make it so it hugs the left hand side of the screen, leaving miles of empty space on the right.

There is such a thing as artistic use of negative space.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Of course their is, but my comment adresses people who aren't using it like that obviously :D

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.