Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

A Drunk Duck convention

marine
marine
Posted at

Theres close to thirty thousand people on Drunk Duck a day, possibly more than that, right? If say 2,000 show up to a convention, wouldn't that be a successful convention on its own right? Maybe next year Platinum Studios could set that up. Think of the marketing alone from that, one comic company sponsored an event, that means everything has their logo and everyone feels all warm & fuzzy about Platinum.

I'm sure that even a small 500 person group would bring in a lot of revenue. It'd be big enough so that you could have outside press reporting on it (more free marketing) and it'd also be a good public relations having a big room rented at a hotel or convention center for everyone to show up at. Theres enough proffesional comics involved with Drunk Duck that if each one had its table for people to hit up, it'd raise a lot of awareness about the comics. I think thats the major problem with the small press industry right now, nobody outside of guys that are fully into comic books really knows about the IPs until its published in an outside medium like a video game (The Darkness for example or possibly Turok even) or until it has a feature film (Hellboy, History of Violance, V For Vendetta, the list goes on) based on the comics. Its an idea to bring up in some meetings. Also bring up the idea of publishing penis, that'd be a really great idea.

I just tossed that last suggestion one in there as a laugh, but ya know, for your consideration…

Posted at

I third tha motion with a two pints of lager and a packet of crisps.

But then again, how do we know which users are in America and England, and even the Aussie? If Platinum does a convention in America somewhere (which would probably be the most likely) then there could be the majority of users missing out.

Just what I think.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Problem is:
1. Everyone on DD is all over the world. I don't think there is any location that 500-1000 people could decide on.
2. PS'd have to charge admission to pay for the costs.

That said, PS has sponsored Drunk Duck alley in 3 Wizard World comic conventions and gave ANY Drunk Ducker a table that wanted one for FREE. Yet, only like 20 people (at the most) showed up at each one.

Not that the intent isn't nice, the logistics seem impossible.

Posted at

That said, PS has sponsored Drunk Duck alley in 3 Wizard World comic conventions and gave ANY Drunk Ducker a table that wanted one for FREE. Yet, only like 20 people (at the most) showed up at each one.

When and where was this announced? I may have missed it because I got here just around the time the con season rolled around, but this is the first time I'm hearing about this. If it happens again next year - color me interested. I'll be in the US at some point over the summer.

marine
marine
Posted at

I wasn't aware of such a deal either. You say ANY drunk ducker, so its assumed that means the "not you marine" rule is in full effect, right?

Posted at

Maybe you guys should check out the Wizard World threads in the Conventions subforums. :)

Marine, I'm sure you said you would show up at the first one they offered (but you never did).

Posted at

Maybe you guys should check out the Wizard World threads in the Conventions subforums. :)

Oh. Yeah, I kinda never read that subforum until now because I'm at the other end of the world and stuff. Guess I'll start now, ahem.

Posted at

i think it would be a great idea, have one in every capital

marine
marine
Posted at

Marine, I'm sure you said you would show up at the first one they offered (but you never did).

I was on the way out to the car when I found out about a death in the family, and had to attend to that drama rather than enjoy meeting up with people from the internet. I posted about it in that thread.

Its why I don't say I'm going to be anywhere anymore. If I show up at any conventions now, it'll be a surprise.

bongotezz
bongotezz
Posted at

Problem is:
1. Everyone on DD is all over the world. I don't think there is any location that 500-1000 people could decide on.

i never heard about this free table thing and if i didn't hear about i'm sure a lot of people didn't hear about it. can an admin send out a PQ to every member at the same time? kind of like an anouncement or something. i bet you'd get better turn out at the next one.

Zac
Zac
Posted at

Problem is:

i never heard about this free table thing and if i didn't hear about i'm sure a lot of people didn't hear about it. can an admin send out a PQ to every member at the same time? kind of like an anouncement or something. i bet you'd get better turn out at the next one.

It was on the front news for ages when it began, and everytime there's a new sign up it's up there. It's also all over the conventions thread. Just pay attention to that sort of thing and you'll find it easily. Admins give plenty of notice. MONTHS ahead of time

Posted at

I knew about the Drunk Duck Wizard World thang before I was a member. But that's because I bumped into Drunk Duck at this year's WW Philly con. Attended their panel (which was really awesome), met DJ and a few others and generally had a blast. The experience at the con was so good, it prompted me to seek out the site and join when I got home from the Con that weekend.

So I dunno, I kind of think what Platinum did at the Wizard Worlds this year was a great thing. And I'm proof that it worked on at least ONE PERSON!

:)

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

Damned be my Yurpean location. I'd love to go to any DD-type convention, but since I'm stuck here in the Netherlands it's not likely to happen any time soon.

Posted at

Wow never heard of the free tables…that is a MAJOR surprise! Yeah I usually do a news post when registration opens, and there's a sign up post in the general forum (Sticky AND marked important)until it closes (then it's moved to conventions). We just finished up sign up for Wizard World Texas, the last show of the season,but you can still come hang out and meet people….maybe roll the oversized 20 sided dice of doom…

BTW we have had an AWESOME con season this year and it's all becuase of those of you who have come to the shows (as table attendees and just passers by)

But if you are in the Texas area next month you should come to the show. Seriously we have a great time. People who have table space will be there drawing and hanging out, we play games and give away prizes. DJ Coffman and Jason Embury and the coolest nicest rock stars you'll ever meet. And we do a "The Business of Web Comics" panel where we give tips on how to grow your audience and how to make money from your web comic.

I honestly think that our partnership with Wizard World is much better than just a Drunk Duck con. first off WE (as in Drunk Duck) totally dominate the convention. We have the largest group of people in the artist alley, and we have one of the coolest panels. I think it is better becuase there are non drunk duck people there, and they ALWAYS walk away totally amazed at the talent of the Drunk Duck members and the fact that they can go home and read the comics for free and continue to talk to that creator online. It really draws in new readers and creators who wouldn't know about Drunk Duck otherwise! Sweet

and BTW Marine yes you too are welcome to join us at a show, as long as you play nice.

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

I'm gonna have to save up money for next year, you're getting me all giddy.

Posted at

Here is my shillings worth of brain matter on the topic…
The way I look at it, everyday on the duck is like a big comic book convention.

If there was a way to get a flyer sent to comic book shops, perhaps a DD newsletter?
just a simple black n white rag.
I am sure that the artists here would be more than willing to submit content for such a thing if it brought in more readers.
After all, the comic book, hobby stores allready have worked to get the core readers in the doors of the respective buisnesses.
They could put the months featured comics in it.
even a creator interview now n then.

Who knows what it could lead to?

junoblairb
junoblairb
Posted at

Juno's going to be presumptuous and assume since few people have realized such an opportunity is possible they also don't probably know what Wizard World is:

The Websitez

They have conventions in TEXAS, L.A., PHILADELPHIA and CHICAGO every year. Granted the times are switched around every year but the locales don't change. And a table at one may not be hard to get but it can be hard to pay for.

And it's a good experience. It will learn ya on what to bring if you want to ever start making a living at your comic. ^_^ And if not that, it's excellent promotion.

But yes, check out the happy little Conventions subforum. There's more news on cons all around the country than you can shake a stick at. I'm sure there's a lot of opportunity for get-togethers and roundtables then a lot may realize. :D

Posted at

To get that many DDers together would be bloody amazing…

I would never be able to go, though…

college and life get in the way, but the whole idea is pretty cool.

giadrosich
giadrosich
Posted at

Wow! If I knew that I'd be able to secure a table, I'd go to the WW Con in Texas. That way, I could see some artist friends who live in the area at the same time!

Posted at

Wow! If I knew that I'd be able to secure a table, I'd go to the WW Con in Texas. That way, I could see some artist friends who live in the area at the same time!

You should just come down to the convention anyways. I'm sure we can make room for you!

Red Slayer
Red Slayer
Posted at

You should just come down to the convention anyways. I'm sure we can make room for you!
There is always room for some duck.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.