Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Anyone else noticing a lot of media outlets are struggling?

marine
marine
Posted at

Seriously, I don't know anyone who reads the newspaper, listens to radio (regular radio, not satellite), rents movies or even watches TV anymore. Every bodie is online in a chat room/forum discussing whatever their personal sexual fetish or killing baby rabbits in World of Warcraft trying to level up. Outside of console video games, most major media is starting to fail pretty hard. At least in this little lack ducks opinion. It became obvious today when I was flipping the regular radio in someone else's car. The only music we could find was Avril Latrine. Anyone whose half as manly as myself doesn't want to hear a girl whine about wanting some girlfriend. A discussion was started about how she was too old and married and shouldn't be singing songs like that anymore. The quality of the song was pitiful as well. So I said "screw this" and tried to find another station. Someone boring was talking about baseball. I don't know anyone who likes baseball. In fact, most every sport outside of knife fighting seems really tame to me. So I flipped around for a few minutes, and landed on another station playing music. It was so full of static I couldn't quite make out what it was (neither could four other people), then I tuned it some more and we found out what the song was. The same shitty song where she says girlfriend twenty six times in a row. God dammit.

I can't watch news on TV anymore eithar. It feels so jaded and watered down and biased. When you're moving at a 100 megabits a second, who the fuck needs that crawl at the bottom of CNN to stay updated? Another thing, who wants to read magazines anymore? All the rumors and speculation found in them, and more improtantly to me (and probably you) information on upcoming movies or video games or even comic books, is all found online for free. Gaming magazines have it the worst now. Its like they realized they had nothing to offer and gave up their magazines to three guys who play Halo all night and smoke pot all day. I read an issue of Wizard a few months ago that was awful. I just can't bring myself to talk about the failure of the modern world.

Don't even get me started on how terrible the internet is.

Posted at

I have to say, I competely agree with you. I couldn't remember a day when the News didn't repeat every damn piece of news until it was an dead, beaten horse. and even then they just keep on beating that dead horse if they think it'll get them more viewers.

and now it seems like every other media is starting to repeat that same exact pattern too, expect for some tv shows.

The only thing I can think of is that the news nowdays is now designed for old people who has diffculties remembering thing often, so now they need the news to repeat the same old shit again and again.

draxenn
draxenn
Posted at

Having actually worked in the radio business, i'm aware of how it works. When a song is hot, you have to play it often, sometimes to the point of overplaying it to satisfy people's need to hear it.
After a few weeks, depending on the song, it's popularity will dwindle and will be replaced with a new 'hit'.

Now, i'm not sure where you are living, but television is still an extremely popular pass time. Have you noticed that digital cable continues to sell, expand and grow?
that isn't because people are on the net chatting. Hell, some people even multitask. They chat and watch television…cause chatting can be pretty slow at times.

But you know as time moves on, computers continues to double in power every 18 months..i'm sure we'll see a merger of the tele and the compy, and all media will be streamed to us at 1000 bps. :)

Not much i can say about the rest of your post other than it sounds like the rantings of a cantankerous old man. =D

Whirlwynd
Whirlwynd
Posted at

I rarely listen to the radio anymore - come to think of it, I don't watch much TV anymore, either. I don't use my TV for much more than an alarm clock.

A lot of people hate our local news, though. They say they'll preempt their primetime lineup for something no one really cares about, then they'll spend half their news hour talking about their primetime lineup. I know I avoided our Fox news station at certain times of the year, because all they would talk about was American Idol. That has to be my least favorite show of all time -

Posted at

Ugh, our local news is the same way with talking about American Idol. It's awful. When I watch a news show, I want to hear news, not which bimbo got voted off of the currently popular reality show. :/ But yeah. I haven't depended on the television for news in quite a long time, anyway, especially national/world news.

Although I wouldn't say that use of television is really declining. I don't watch a lot myself, but my friends do, and I know there's a huge fanbase that follows shows like American Idol/Big Brother/[insert other reality show here]/CSI/etc. In fact, there's quite a lot of forums on the internet where people go to discuss their favorite shows. It's like melding of the media! =p

Radio, I can't say much about. I don't listen to it much, except on the five minute drive to and back from work. I'd rather make a CD and listen to it without interruptions by annoying DJs and advertisements.

Posted at

i change the station whenever a commercial break comes on.
i research most of the news that interests me.
i don't just swallow everything they feed me.

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

I only listen to one station on the radio. It's better to just have a music player with you with your songs.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Someone boring was talking about baseball. I don't know anyone who likes baseball. In fact, most every sport outside of knife fighting seems really tame to me. So I flipped around for a few minutes, and landed on another station playing music. It was so full of static I couldn't quite make out what it was (neither could four other people), then I tuned it some more and we found out what the song was. The same shitty song where she says girlfriend twenty six times in a row. God dammit.
Ha! That was great! :)

So true too… We need more knife fights.
Heh, I quit watching TV 2 years ago when I noticed how bad it was, and I haven't bothered with music on the radio for I dunno how many years! I listen to a news only stations now, if at all. The net has everything!

Posted at

The news station here in KY reported about a kitten going missing….

The same day four people were arrested trying to attack Ft. Dix with car bombs and rockets.

American Idol made headlines when at the same time the democratic party debate was going on. Totally tuning it out.

What the fuck?!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

The news station here in KY reported about a kitten going missing….
When you eat jelly there, do you call it KY jelly? :)

…Yeah, you don't do you? Well you should!

Kohdok
Kohdok
Posted at

I think the reason less people are watching television is because of one reason: current programming sucks swamp water.

I liked those old cartoons on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network from forever ago and I still watch some of them where I can find them because I still find them enjoyable, but I just can't stand this new stuff. This recent movement of what I call "Americanime" doesn't sit well with me. I'm not dissing Avatar, I find it reasonably interesting compared to Ying-Yang-Yo and other such crap that tries to imitate anime but fails miserably as it is nothing but stereotyped hoo-hah. Also, I can't forget that once somebody comes up with a resonably entertaining idea for a new concept (Or one that someone just hasn't used for a while) every other station goes out and makes their own. Are tv stations so desperate that they have to try to confuse people into watching their crap? I'm a bit of a KP fan, but I've seen some shows that try to rip off the whole "female teenage spy" idea(Totally Spies and Princess whatever)and I'm not impressed. It's the same with movies and the same with other television shows. I can't stand to watch today's cartoons because they are so terrible! The only relief I can find is on Toon Disney when they show "The Tick" in Jetix. Don't even get me started on reality shows or the new game shows.

Movies aren't doing so well, either. I don't think I can legally say in public what I did when I heard there was going to be a live-action Bratz movie.

Maybe those venues of media wouldn't be in such a slump if they tried to do some quality work. Even things from about five years ago could be considered better.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Yeah, my TV watching is basically limited to watching new episodes of Avatar when they eventually come on, and occasionally watching Seinfeld or Law and Order: Criminal Intent. Don't really care for anything else.

But the Internet is such a tremendous time waster. I could be so much more efficient if this thing didn't exist. Mostly reading threads on this forum.

Posted at

I disagree. Newspaper, okay, I'll give you that.

Music sucks as you get olderer. I dont know why. People start to get sick of empty plastic ass music, maybe. Maybe its nostalgia for the way things used to be. People stop listening to the radio, or they stick to one channel. My mother only listens to Kola(classic rock) even though she prefers country music. I myself hate the radio because I like diversity. I burn the hell out of cds. I buy the hell out of cds too. I regularly attend live shows. radio stinks, but good music is still out there.

Television is super huge right now. Look at american idol and how popular that crap is. Look at shows like house, heroes, smallville, The Colbert Report, Stargate. these shows all do their own thing and get huge ratings. Stargate has run longer than any other sci fi show in history. House is bringing in huge raitings. More people vote for American Idol than vote for president. Celebrity gossip magazines are all the current rage, I can't count how many people I hear talking about fucking Paris Hiltons 3 day jail time.

Every time a new movie comes out it sells more than any other movie in its opening weekend. Look at Pirates 3 which opened in more theatres than any other movie in the US.

No, these markets arent struggling, cept maybe to do something original and halfway creative, but guess what, the masses don't care about originality. They want a quick fix to their daily lives.

hat
hat
Posted at

I don't watch much TV.
But I do watch the news, and let me tells you they need to get their priorities straight.

A million stories on Paris Hilton and Michael Vick.
A thousand stories on Teachers gone mad.
A hundred stories about the gas prices (Seriously, I can go to the gas station to find out).
Fifty or so stories about local murders, but they dress it up as if it were an episode of CSI
Like 1 story about Darfur, and that's only if the goverment isn't up to it's usual stupidity.

Throw in the weather report, and an update about the War every 30 seconds, and you have the "news".

Posted at

your news talks about DARFUR? Thats unbelievable. We never get that kind of reporting.

The only news I'll watch anymore is Colbert.

hat
hat
Posted at

your news talks about DARFUR?
Like once.

Posted at

I think if my local news talked about darfur once, it would change my opinion of local news.

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

Newspapers? Killed by televised News, which interestingly enough has killed itself with useless crud.

As we all know, video killed the radio star, so that's dead as well.

While not having cable, I see only 4-5 channels on all of it that intrigue my interest(discovery channel, history channel, comedy central, cartoon network). There are some clever, original shows out there, like the daily show, The venture brothers, etc.

All media is not dead though.

Posted at

Maybe basic cable, but things like STARS and HBO as well as Showtime seem to be doing pretty well. Not to mention my favorite channel…IFC.

I think it really depends on who you talk to and personal preferences, though I will admit…the things on tv have gotten much worse in the past few years.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

Mainstream sux the big one.

I listen to my music from the far corners of the internet… (no fucking radio music. Radio music is just to sissy sounding for my taste)

I dont watch TV unless maybe sometimes the news or Ultimate Fighter. And thats it. I can live without TV. I get entertained through youtube.

News? Newspapers what a joke. More like propaganda to me. Though I can connect the dots on various news stories and arrive at a conclusion that there is a whole bunch of conspiracies out there.

Fuckin propaganda. I can see through it like a transparent glass. lol in a dictator state, I would be among the first people to defect (or executed if im caught lol).

marine
marine
Posted at

Maybe basic cable, but things like STARS and HBO as well as Showtime seem to be doing pretty well. Not to mention my favorite channel…IFC.

I think it really depends on who you talk to and personal preferences, though I will admit…the things on tv have gotten much worse in the past few years.

No love for the recently brilliant FX network?

Posted at

I'm not a big FX fan, I used to watch it when I was little…but they sold all of the movies and shows I liked.

marine
marine
Posted at

I'm not a big FX fan, I used to watch it when I was little…but they sold all of the movies and shows I liked.

No, they didn't. In Living Color was put on BET, but Married With Children reruns remain a staple of the networks programming. If I'm watching TV, usually FX has decent movies on (fight club, die hard, hellboy, blade, good stuff like that) or has a show thats watchable on. Most of their original shows are pretty good or at least worth checking out. Some have bombed, but the majority are epic wins. Nip/Tuck, Rescue Me (aka The Job 2: This Time With Firemen), Dirt, The Riches, The Shield, and probably more that I'm not mentioning. Its got good stuff.

Showtime also has some good original programming. Weeds and Masters of Horror are made of win. Epic win in the case of Masters of Horror, its just epic win on every episode.

Other than that, and the mind boggling awesomeness of the law & order formula, TV is lame.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.