Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Anyone here think Welding is cool?

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

Think about it. You'd probably be making more money welding than being an artist or doing some shit office or factory job. And it needs the same skill which is very good hand control.

If you've spent all this time inking and drawing… trying to be as technically proficient and attentive to detail as possible, welding might be a good career for you. If you know how to draw or color something, you have an advantage as far as learning it is concerned.

The risks tho:
- arc flash created by the bright light. happens if you forget to put down the helmet.
- risk getting your hands burned. Sometimes metal gets too hot it goes through the gloves.
- awkward positions… kneeling, crouching, bending, etc…
- exposure to the smell of burning metal and other fumes.
- exposure to very loud noises of other machines. ear plugs are your best friend.
- depending where you work, you may work at heights.
- heavy lifting might be involved.
- working around dangerous gas.

Well… a week in trade school has been fun and busy. Thats why less time for me to update comics and post here. FT job and 3 (or more) hours everyday in trade school.

Posted at

Indeed, hooray for metalwork!

Posted at

I've always thought it cool. Never had the chance to try it though.

Zac
Zac
Posted at

I weld in theatre shop
Sometimes I stare at the arc, and when I come home later I realize that certain colors are missing.
Because I'm going blind.

It also causes great sunburns!

Welding looks cool, but it's not all that.

Do something like theatrical design. Then you get to do things like weld, saw, cut, hammer, NC things, and more dangerous things!

<3

It's not reallllly like drawing…

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

It's not reallllly like drawing…

Yeah, saying that welding is like drawing is a bit like saying that typing is like playing piano. Sure, on a superficial level they're near identical, but there's a lot of very big differences.

Rich
Rich
Posted at

Welding is really badass, but being a janitor is even more awesome!

Do welders clean schools? NO!

Do welders get to dry mop floors covered in .07 mm lead? NO!

Do welders get to clean toilets? NO!

Posted at

Plus being a janitor, you get to play hilarious pranks as part of your feud with a nerd doctor.

Posted at

My dad thinks welding is cool. In his heyday he'd make some abstract sculptures out of metal. Some of them are pretty badass

Aeon
Aeon
Posted at

I weld in theatre shop

WHOO! I learned to weld in a scene shop, too! I can MIG weld, but I prefer oxy acetylene because the mask isn't so dark.

One of my friends once caught himself on fire, though… there's a certain risk factor associated with welding and stupidity that just isn't there when you are stupid and drawing.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

… there's a certain risk factor associated with welding and stupidity that just isn't there when you are stupid and drawing.
That made me laugh. :)

Myself, I like plumbing (welding). It's very Zen for me. And I am quite good at it, too. ;)

Zac
Zac
Posted at

I weld in theatre shop

WHOO! I learned to weld in a scene shop, too! I can MIG weld, but I prefer oxy acetylene because the mask isn't so dark.

I prefer to stay away from welding. Let me grind and send showers of sparks across my poor feeble frame, let me at the table saw, the Miter saws, the bands, jigs, molten lava loving anything else. Hell, I'd rather be running and loading flys.. MIGs are scary huge machines. Arcs aren't nearly as frightening. However, in case of zombie attacks, a good torch welding system will come most in handy.
Welding is one of this things that if I do I'm so afraid of injuring some important part of my body, like my eyes, hands, lungs, and anything else that lets me function, so it takes me twice as long to get anything done because I'm being extra careful.

Posted at

MIGs aren't that big, the argon can take up space, but the machine doesn't need to be that big. They're way better than arc when you need your bead to look pretty, you're in a hurry, or you aren't as skilled. I go with the Arc and with the oxy/acy mainly because I'm a crochety old man who doesn't like them newfangled technologywhatsits.

draxenn
draxenn
Posted at

My mom got her liscence for welding through a structural steele course. This was a few years ago(ok, over a decade, but who's counting)
And sadly, no place would hire her because she's a woman. Because these companies have had nothing but men, they would have to install womens facilities and all that and they simply turned her down.

I used to do welding in highschool. I loved oxy-accetelene(sp?) welding. Arc welding I found too difficult. The damn rod would always stick. MIG welding was clean and quick. Loved that too.

Funny, i was really fond of welding, but hated woodshop. The thought of burning or electrcuting my body was ok, but losing a finger to a ban-saw just didn't do it for me.

Posted at

I quite enjoyed welding while I was at university (Product Design). But I never did much of it. Also, using a torch and a bucket of water you could harden the metals, which depending on their composition would give them different sheens and colours. GO SCIENCE!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Welding is a bloody useful skill!
All that flammable, high pressure gas was a bit frightening to me though, to be honest.
The only time I ever used a torch was in a sculpture unit… I had finagled my brief in such a way as to allow me to make a HUGE freaking big AXE. That mostly involved cutting a large piece of inch thick steel to the right shape. It took aaaaaaaaaaaggggges… The metal I used was literally heavier than me.

It was funny though. I made one of my lecturers burn both his hands! That was hilarious for some evil reason. -he asked me if the metal was cool enough to pick up. I said probably, but I didn't know because it'd been lying there cooling for about two hours… I didn't mean it to happen.

The other thing was one time I needed to wash and cool my hands off because I had another class, I saw a bucket and plunged them into the cool, inviting reflective surface of the water…
Only to be covered up to the elbows in thick clinging SUMP oil! Took 3 hours to get it all off me.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.