Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Are any of you at SomethingAwful forums? Is it worth the membership fee?

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

I'm looking for a new forum to join, I heard SA has a pretty good/funny one.

Is it worth the 10$ membership fee? (I just don't want to spend it for nothing lol)

Posted at

Yup. The $10 fee basically weeds out most of the idiots, then the spring cleaning and thunderdome threads keep it free of the creepy freaks. Hell, then $10 is worth being able to participate in the GBS MSpaint threads alone.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I've seen the content there… -_-

With a lot of forums it depends on what you put into it. If you act like a moron, you might get ostracised, but usually it attracts other morons and encourages other ok people to behave that way as well. Witness the Top Drawer.

There are idiots everywhere. No fee could ever stop that.

Stain
Stain
Posted at

The way I see it, that's ten dollars you could be spending on ten icecreams at your local RiteAid… Or two footlong subs before the end of april.

Posted at

I've seen the content there… -_-

With a lot of forums it depends on what you put into it. If you act like a moron, you might get ostracised, but usually it attracts other morons and encourages other ok people to behave that way as well. Witness the Top Drawer.

There are idiots everywhere. No fee could ever stop that.

No, if you act like a moron, you get banned. They have a special moron subforum designed to let you act like a retard. Thing is, if you act like that outside of there, you get banned.

The harsh ban policy and the $10 barrier is what makes the place so free of retard.

Posted at

Spending ten bucks on a forum is pretty retarded itself.

Posted at

Wasn't there a serial killer on there?

Posted at

Spending ten bucks on a forum is pretty retarded itself.

I agree. I mean, there are tons of forums out there. From what I can tell, there's nothing all that special about SA.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

Hey thanks for the answer APC!^^ I think I'm gonna join after all, 10$ really can't buy me anything in this day and age…

@Steely, last post
Well it's a really large forum, full of mature yet kinda mean/sarcastic people.(from what i read in the 'popular' threads)
Which is just what I'm looking for lol :neenjah:

Zac
Zac
Posted at

I have a lot of friends on there.

Why don't you just browse the forums and see if you like it?
My co-worker is a goon, and it just seems like all you guys on SA post is stuff that showed up on 4chan weeks before. Maybe not though…

Posted at

I have a lot of friends on there.

Why don't you just browse the forums and see if you like it?
My co-worker is a goon, and it just seems like all you guys on SA post is stuff that showed up on 4chan weeks before. Maybe not though…

Ever venture outside of BYOB and YCS? 4chan stuff gets you banned anywhere else.

Posted at

4chan actually came out of SA, as did a huge number of other internet-things.

SA isn't bad. Most people find their niche forum and stick within it. It's strongly recommended that you lurk for a long while before attempting to post anything though, especially new threads. There's a bunch of unspoken rules and a lot of things will get you banned outright- you have to pay $10 again to get unbanned. They're very critical of posting styles, etc there, especially in GBS. Lurk is mostly all I do on SA, it's difficult to find a thread that 40 people haven't already replied to.

The 2 'be stupid' subforms (FYAD and BYOB) are pretty inclusive and you might not be welcome to post there until you've established yourself on the forum more.

There's some weird culture things that go on in SA. Every now and then though something wonderful arises which is essentially worth the price of membership to watch. (The scientology handbook thread, p-p-powerbook saga, etc)

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

stupid website. bah.

Zac
Zac
Posted at

4chan actually came out of SA, as did a huge number of other internet-things.

I know that. I just didn't find it relevant to the conversation :)

APC, I hardly go there. I was just referring to what my friends talk about.

Posted at

stupid website. bah.

You only say this because you are the kind of screwball they rightfully take the piss out off.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

stupid website. bah.

You only say this because you are the kind of screwball they rightfully take the piss out off.

stupid post. baaaaahhhh…

Posted at

stupid website. bah.

stupid post. baaaaahhhh…

Point proven. Good job, General Custard.

Posted at

I regularly read the Stupid Hardware/Software Crap forum and Games. Also The Creative Convention forum is a wealth of inspirational and amazingly creative things. But you don't actually need to be a member to read it.

However I've taken part in a few of the online projects and they do tend to be great fun and worth your time and effort. A surprisingly small number of members actually bother with FYAD, BYOB and YCS. Though I have to admit I do find the new D&D subforum quite captivating.

The mainstream forums are heavily moderated so for example any trace of console war fanboyism that you'll regularly find in Games forums elsewhere will get you set read only in the SA games forum. This seems to raise the level of conversation a couple of notches and that right there was worth my 10 dollars. It's not perfect but it is better.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.