Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Boring fart

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Ever feel that you're turning into a boring fart?

You know- the way you change as you grow up.

What I mean is that I used to be excited and interested in all the silly trivial things everyone else is, but these days so many just sound so tedious and idiotic.- all the whizz bang new electronic gizmos, the doings of various vacuous celbs and sports people, this or that band's new songs or video, this or that new film or whatever.
Situations and things you once thought would be AWESOME, now you just think of in terms of cold practicality, stripped off all the glamour, in the cold light of normal human reality; seeing them for what they really are.
(anything from amazing drunken raunchy parties to extreme sports or whatever you care to name).

Heh, that's sad I suppose, but it's not just about "growing up". You can be any age and feel that way and I know many much older people who are still fascinated and exited by all variations of the above mentioned things. I just can't seem to share in that much any more. :P

—————————-

Anyone else feel like that?

Or am I completely alone in this? :)

amanda
amanda
Posted at

YES. Yes, this. Events I would have loved to participate in last year seem boring or stupid to me now, and I find I'd much rather curl up with a book and stay home.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

Life's actually more interesting for me right now.

And it will keep getting more and more interesting the more I keep at the direction I'm going.

ERasER
ERasER
Posted at

Yes, I totally am turning boring and in return being bored ^^ - Seems day after day I sit at my laptop not really doing much

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

Well, I still go 'oh look' whenever I see a plane in the sky.

So yeah Ozone, you're just too old. OMG learn to LOL.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

You're not alone! Since losing interest in all the above mentioned stuff, life has become a richer experience for me though. Things, people and situations I wouldn'tve noticed years ago, now fill me with deepest joy and I no longer wonder what my dad was going on about.

The fact is, after the twenty seventh latest greatest thing ever has screamed for your attention only to rapidly disappear and not be seen again until a late night 'WTF Happened To..' compilation appears on your barely concious late night TV, you suddenly realise it was all just so much hype and filler. That's when you can take a step back and begin to realise what life is actually all about.

Some people never reach this stage of course. Like everything, it's a mixed blessing but all things considered, you should be celebrating right now. Furthermore, I'll wager you're not even remotely disinterested in your dazzling military apparel!

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I was boring even when I was younger. None of pop culture got me excited. I spent all of high school and college alone with a book whenever possible. I declined any invitations to parties. I preferred to live inside my head.

On the other hand, last summer, I finally landed a (seasonal) job – and with it a spark of my youthful excitement was somehow revived. I found myself leading hikes, taking kids to catch frogs in a creek, and canoeing. These are not things I ever did when I was younger but I *wanted* to. And everything filled me with wonder, just as it did 20 years ago. I marveled at butterflies landing on me; I got excited and rushed to see the snakes that frightened hikers; I fell in the mud a few times and had to change my work clothes. It was fantastic. So, I spent all summer playing outdoors, getting poison ivy, sun burns, bug bites, having so much fun, and getting paid for it. It was awesome. I never would have done those things when I was younger.

I also rode on a plane for my first time this year. That was fun. It made me feel grown up and have a childlike wonder all at the same time. It wasn't for business either, just a whimsical impulsive weekend (convention). Something I never would have dared to do before. I never even hung out with my classmates in high school/college or join my sister and roommates for a road trip to a convention, but I decided to fly halfway across the country to see people I never met face-to-face.

And I find myself more apt to join people for festivals, shows, events, etc. now. As a teenager, I just came up with exciting new excuses not to go.

So, I guess I'm becoming more impulsive, excited, and maybe even interesting with age. Last year I had arthritis, bad knees, and back problems that all screamed at me that I was getting old (and fat, heh). Those are gone now.

Go figure.

(I still can't imagine getting giddy over seeing a famous person. I went to NYC when I was in high school, and a movie was shot on my college campus, and I thought the star seekers were complete weirdos and the presence of celebrities was just an inconvenient interruption/complication. Plus, the movie crew took out our busstops since the film was set 30 years ago. So I had to stand in the rain.)

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

I thought this thread was going to be about flatulence and now i'm oddly…disappointed :/

Posted at

I still get interested in new gadgets and stuff, but only if they continue to let me be a boring old fart.

For example, ebooks are exciting, because not only do they make it cheaper to sit around by myself and read (thousands of free public domain books), I don't even get the interesting aspect of a varied and colorful bookshelf to look at.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

You want your life to not be boring?

Get out there and do your part to help improve society.

Don't just sit there and say "Oh… what can I do? Big Government will get what they want… So I'll just sit down and play video games".

Write your congressman/ member of parliament / senator / mayor / councillor / newspaper / etc. and get them to move (I've got some info that every person writing them is interpreted as a representation of 100 people who think the same way). Or try to run for public office.

My message is clear: I DO NOT WANT TO LIVE IN A POLICE STATE. AND TO HELL WITH ALL THOSE CARBON TAXES BASED ON THE AL GORE CULT AND GOVERNMENT BUREAUCRACY THAT KEEPS GETTING BIGGER AND BIGGER AND BIGGER. YES TO FREEDOM AND NO TO TYRANNY.

We live on a blue planet circling around a sun and there's a million stars in the universe. Life isn't all about being bombarded with entertainment, entertainment, and more entertainment. Life isn't all about acting cool and being selfish and looking after your own self-interest and thinking of me, me, me, and more me.

You can also do other things like go help at some homeless shelter or womens shelter or animal shelter or whatever.

Or go meditate or pray to God with the intent of raising the consciousness of this planet.

Get up. These are interesting times.

Posted at

I dunno, kyu. I think Oz meant to say "are you worried about being a boring person?" rather than "Do you live a boring life?"
You can still do all the things that you suggested but still be uninteresting, then again you're many things but certainly not boring so I guess ya got me on that.
What's weird is that I think I was probably less interesting when I was younger. I still don't get out as much as I'd like and I haven't been on vacation in almost five years but I think I do more than I used to.

ksteak
ksteak
Posted at

Kyupols got the right idea, you need to be more insane.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

Exactly, don't let big brother bring you down, listen to those magic messages appearing in your cheerios and the spirits of the sacred arm stabbing ritual

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Exactly, don't let big brother bring you down, listen to those magic messages appearing in your cheerios and the spirits of the sacred arm stabbing ritual
Many, many lols :)
You're not alone! Since losing interest in all the above mentioned stuff, life has become a richer experience for me though. Things, people and situations I wouldn'tve noticed years ago, now fill me with deepest joy and I no longer wonder what my dad was going on about.

The fact is, after the twenty seventh latest greatest thing ever has screamed for your attention only to rapidly disappear and not be seen again until a late night 'WTF Happened To..' compilation appears on your barely concious late night TV, you suddenly realise it was all just so much hype and filler. That's when you can take a step back and begin to realise what life is actually all about.

Some people never reach this stage of course. Like everything, it's a mixed blessing but all things considered, you should be celebrating right now. Furthermore, I'll wager you're not even remotely disinterested in your dazzling military apparel!
Heh, thanks man, yep, I think that's pretty much it; moving on from the ephemeral stuff and getting to the heart of things. Actually experiencing life and not just the fluff on top.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Thanks Kyupol, I've always lived a boring life, but with your help, I'll spend my days writing letters to politicians.

Where would the world be without you?

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

Last summer, I was at an apple and cherry orchard with my family. AND I WAS ENJOYING IT.

Growing up really sneaks up on you.

same
same
Posted at

Last summer, I was at an apple and cherry orchard with my family. AND I WAS ENJOYING IT.

Growing up really sneaks up on you.

Thats rough. Apple a cherry orchards being enjoyable? Well it could be worse. You could have said "interesting"

And im only f**kin 18 and i feel old when i cant find good music to listen too anymore, i cant be bothered with watching anime thats too long and when i stop finding final fantasy 7 worth replaying a bajillion times.

Faliat
Faliat
Posted at

My physical health has been really poor for the past few years and I'm still seeing doctor after doctor even after leaving the terrible health hazard of living in Scotland.

So It's no wonder my mental health is being affected by it. And that I'm not enjoyng as many things as I used to jsut because I either can't do things the way I used to or I'm distracted by other things.

I wasted a year of my life being ill in bed and nobody noticed until I started constantly passing out. I've not been the same since. The injections I have to get every two/three months see to that. That and the fact I'm a fish out of water in my new surroundings. In my last two colleges I was pretty popular if not one of the most popular in my class. But in my newest one almost everybody in my class looks at me like I'm a mutant, tea cosy wearing orangutan.

Mind you, this is a class in which students throw about "mong" as an insult and poke fun at one of the mixed race guys in a supposed jokey way that doesn't stop him from forcing a smile back anyway.

lba
lba
Posted at

I don't think I've been getting older, but I know I've been getting more distant from a lot of what used to fill my time in the past. In the last semester I took an art history class that I learned a lot from and began thinking about what art really is. Long story short, I came to the conclusion that for something to actually achieve the level of art, and go beyond being craft, it has to effectively communicate it's author's intent through the work itself. That personal realization kind of messed with how I view the world. Now, things that are just pretty but don't seem to have a point are kinda hollow to me and I've been getting bummed lately that it feels like contemporary culture and art doesn't have any point or even a reason for doing what it does like a lot of past movements did. Trying to figure out what to do with this idea gets me irritable for whatever reason.

So all in all, I guess I'm becoming more a grumpy old fart than a boring old fart.

LOOKIS
LOOKIS
Posted at

I think when you're young you are submerged in the culture and breathing it and the culture seems to be all there is. But as you grow older, you float upwards until you bob to the top and then you can see that our culture might be a big ocean, but it's just one ocean of many, and then there is all that air and space, too.

Posted at

I've always been a boring fart. I hate those 'never have I ever' games because I'm always that cool ass person with like, one finger down.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I think when you're young you are submerged in the culture and breathing it and the culture seems to be all there is. But as you grow older, you float upwards until you bob to the top and then you can see that our culture might be a big ocean, but it's just one ocean of many, and then there is all that air and space, too.
That's beautiful.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

i think i was on the road to being a boring fart , but then the gretest thing happened and i almost died , so now i like to take risks and walk in the middle of the street just for kicks and sometimes i just think about the howling abyss of nothingness that awaits us all and i laugh like a gaddamned maniac while sticking my head out the car window . also i strated swimming again . its nice to get that clorinated water swishing around in my head and then go home and play nintendo. Life is too short to be boring

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.