Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

College Majors

Posted at

~Because everyone likes to talk about themselves~

What are you majoring in at university? (Or plan to major in, or got a degree in..) Does it relate to what you do now? Discuss!

I was originally taking psychology but switchted to nursing- I'll be done in two years.
Working at a grocery store doesn't relate to the medical profession at all, but hopefully by august I'll have a solid job at Capitol health.

medablack
medablack
Posted at

I went to college for Offid Administration, basically i was studying to be a Secretary. Apparently you need a diploma for that now. Anyway, i dropped out of that because there was no challenge. I have been working for the past two years but plan on going back to college in September for General Arts and Science. I would really like to go to University for Psychology to get into Criminal Profiling or Psychiatry, but it's a bit too pricy for me. Currently, I am working at a grocery store as well. At the deli counter as a Meat Wench. Go me!
-beams-
-waves ham flag-

…i think that's everything.

Posted at

I double majored in English and visual studies (fancy smancy way of saying studio art.) I'm now pursuing my BA in Education.

I currently teach at an art school so I guess it does relate. :)

kaminari
kaminari
Posted at

I got my degree in International Studies with my specialization in foriegn politics and relations. I also double majored in German language.

heh, I use NONE of that now.
I have a job making 40k+ a year working in the aviation department for the county government (Im an operations agent at a major international airport owned by the county.. I dont work for an airline.).

While I was still in school, I worked for the airport authority of a small regional airport as a customer service agent (again, not with an airline). This helped me get the job I have now.. and not my degree.. Oddly enough, for this job, I beat out people who had degrees in airport business and management as well as those who have worked in airports for 20 years..

Alas…
Hopefully I can get my masters in international and business law. I think Im gonna look into that as soon as I get some debts paid off.

There's an art institute down the street from me…
Im tempted…. very tempted….

Zac
Zac
Posted at

I'm currently studying Graphic Communications as a major and am working on a minor in Theatre.

I don't really want to do Graphic Design, I'd like to do illustration or something along those lines, but my uni doesn't offer it and I don't have enough money to transfer elsewhere at the moment.

I was majoring in theatre, but I ended up disliking a lot of my fellow classmates and figured if people were that arrogant in the student world, in the real line of work they'd be worse.

I still love to act/build though.
Oh well.

Posted at

I went all kinds of directions when I first started out… it tacked an extra year or two onto my college, but hopefully I ended up with something I like. First it was Chemistry, then math, then something I forget… then I went the other way and settled on Sociology, although the degree is called "Sociology and Social Science, Secondary Education" which basically meant I could teach sociology, government, economics, and history (various types) to middle- and high-schoolers. One of the more useless jobs, but potentially interesting. :)

Doing student teaching I decided that I didn't like the politics and the BS of teaching (the kids were good but nothing else) so I moved on toward a master's which was actually kind of fun. So now I have a master's in Educational Technology … that basically got me a job here in England as an Instructional Designer for a university. The job isn't quite what I thought it would be though so I'm not sure how much I'm enjoying it just now. I'm enjoying the paychecks so I hope that's enough. :) I suppose career-wise I haven't quite found the things I really enjoy doing although I think I am close.

Posted at

I just earned a BA in English from Adams State College and will be getting an AA in cryptology from Defense Language Institute and will be working toward secondary ed.
The plan is to teach high school when I get out of the service. I have some experience with that because I was an English instructor for Upward Bound as my workstudy.

Whirlwynd
Whirlwynd
Posted at

I have a BA in English/Creative Writing. I'm now working in a can-parts factory.

I just thought it was weird because while I was in school I didn't actually take that many English courses. I would have, but they were so hard to get into. I could barely get the requirements in. My capstone course was cancelled so I had to get into a graduate-level class instead - which turned out to be one of the best classes I took.

I took as many Psychology classes as English classes, and every year my advisor would forget which one was my major.

anystar
anystar
Posted at

I'm majoring in Sequential Art (oh boy :D), thank god. I've switched majors twice - from Pre-Law (French Language) to Graphic Design and finally to Sequential Art, and I've switched schools twice, while in the process of hounding my Mom into letting me go to art school. Ohohoho. I still speak some decent French, though, so I'll probably take a semester at my college's campus in LaCoste.

herio
herio
Posted at

tafe and im going to do it

Posted at

I got a BA in Psychology with a minor in English Literature and sotr-of-a-minor in neurobiology and pharmacology. I stayed in college way too much (3 semesters more) because of work, heh, so I got more electives than required. I work as an educational researcher so much of it is relevant. Plus, it has all been used in my books!

LunarYouko
LunarYouko
Posted at

I just finished my first semester… I'm going for the 2 year Paralegal degree at a local college right now. Although I haven't a clue where I'm going to end up in the future, now that I'm more willing and wanting to focus on art… I might want to pursue that more, but I'm not sure how to start (aside from making this comic in hopes of it going somewhere). As far as it applying to my life now… not really, since I've just started.

Posted at

I'm 1 semester away from a BA in sociology and mass communications. I will hella not be able to find a job by the time this is all over. Anybody looking to hire in california? eh? eh?

Mazoo
Mazoo
Posted at

Oh boy this problem has been plaguing me for a couple of years now. I am not yet in college (one more year to go!) but I've already got an idea of what I want to do. I've narrowed down the field to three different majors, all of which I think I will be able to find a job I will enjoy in. No use trying to get into a career I will hate, eh? My choices are English, Chemsitry and some sort of Art (Graphic Design, Sequential Art, etc). I thought I had it down to double-majoring in English and Chemistry and having a concentration in Art, but I've gotten really doubtful. Those three specific choices are definite, though, so I know I will be doing something in at least one of them. Actually, I pretty much know that I will be majoring in English, it just depends on what double-major I want to tack onto it; Chemistry or Art.

theleast
theleast
Posted at

I have a Bachelor of Arts in "Theatre Theory and Practice", also a Certificate II in Visual Arts. It was while studying Playwriting at Uni that I cultivated a passion for story-telling, particularly through writing dialogue. This, combined with other subjects such as Lighting, Direction and Set Design, taught me a great many things which help me create comics (even if the Degree itself is practically useless).

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Probably English, Political Science, or Art.

But I first have to get INTO college.

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

Art. Preferably in the field of illustration.

Vindibudd
Vindibudd
Posted at

One semester from a BA in Political Science from the University of Florida.

Twin
Twin
Posted at

I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts, and next year I'll be doing a major in Literary Studies.

So, yeah. I'm real employable.

hat
hat
Posted at

Going for a BA in Art and Visual Technology.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.