Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Comic Con!

Posted at

Who all attended Comic Con this past weekend? I had the best time. Met Joss Whedon, Amber Benson, Jeph Loeb, Jorge Garcia and many other random people just walking on the convention floor.

James Cameron's new film "Avatar" looks pretty amazing but I'm most excited about Mark Millar's screen version of "KICK-ASS"!!!

Ryan_Scott
Ryan_Scott
Posted at

Heh, my best friend works for Weta digital in Wellington NZ and is working on Avatar at the moment… sounds like it's going to be an incredible film!

Posted at

I was reading that according to this comic con, "motion comics" are going to be more common.

How exactly are "motion comics", comics and not cartoon?

Ryan_Scott
Ryan_Scott
Posted at

perhaps they were referring to BOWEL motion comics… which judging by a lot of the content on the web this is already happening!

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

I keep getting invites to go to Comic-Con from various family members and friends who live near the convention center. My fear of flying has yet to allow me to get my ass down there. Hopefully (assuming I'm still moving) I'll get to attend next year.

Knowing my luck, I'll attend during a year where nothing very exciting or paticularly noteworthy happens :V

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

Man i'd love to one year, but i don't know anybody in person that likes comics to go with(i think going by myself would be pretty damn boring) It'd be cool to get critiqued by an industry professional though, even if he spells out 'anime' in his own fecal matter on the page.

When i think of motion comics i think of those itunes ones where it goes by panel by panel and the speech bubbles/sfx fly in after a bit.

Ryan_Scott
Ryan_Scott
Posted at

I live on the other side of the planet, so the chances of me ever getting to a comic con are very slim… one day though!

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

My friends went to an anime con and from the sounds of it they might as well have walked into a gay furry convention. E3 and Comic-Con seem to be pretty cool though, and filled with enough less losers to make going not quite an embarassment.

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

I used to go to SD comic-con every year, but haven't been there since 2005, when I moved back east. I've heard that since then, the crowds have been getting bigger and bigger, and the lines longer and longer. I hear that tickets for certain days become sold out even before the convention happens. It used to be about comics, and now it's become the place for major movie studios to showcase their new projects. …Which kinda takes the "comic" out of "comic-con."

…I heard that Twilight fans camped in front of Hall H for hours, even days, so they could get into the Twilight panel. This prevented other people from getting into panels that were before and after the Twilight one. ….That's just not right. Apparently this happened last year too with a Twilight panel, so I'm surprised they would let it happen again.

Greg Dean's "Real Life" webcomic yesterday summed up my feelings for SD comic-con in a nutshell:

http://reallifecomics.com/archive/090728.html

I prefer the smaller conventions, like Baltimore Comic-Con…much better than the over-hyped mutant that the SD comic-con has become.

…I am surprised that SD comic-con doesn't offer pay-per-view live video streaming like BlizzCon does. It gives people who can't afford or travel to the con an opportunity to get a front-row seat to the experience. I think the SD comic-con would really profit on something like this.

NickGuy
NickGuy
Posted at

Now, I didn't go to the show, but I tried to keep up with the news through various message boards, twitter, etc.

My thoughts on some of the biggest news and things i noticed.

Image Comics: Totally got on my good side with what they've been doing lately. I mean, I've been digging the shit out of Invincible and i follow the book to support my PencilJack alumni homies, but with the latest Conquest arc, that shit was INTENSE. Absolutely what i love to read and I'm hooked.

Deep down, I was, still am, and always will be, a huge McFarlane fanboy. I picked up Spawn starting with 185 simply because he was back on inks (the digital inks looks great, btw…this comic always looks nothing like any other book out there at its time). The news that he's coming back to fully pencil and ink issue 200 made me psyched…I also cannot wait for Haunt.

I don't really care for Mayhem, but Tyrese Gibson taking time to come to the con and be a really cool fucking guy to promote his book and be excited about it, won me over. I'm going to check it out for that.

Marvel: They caught my attention with acquiring the rights to Miracleman (fuck that Marvelman bullshit) but then, they lost it when they talked more about telling more stories instead of talking about the important thing….reprinting the series!! I mean come on, there's a ton of fans out there who don't even know who MiracleMan even is.

Red She-Hulk? World War Hulks? Hell yes.

DC: Nothing out of DC caught my eye, other than Jim Lee saying he's "always working on All-Star Batman and Robin. It's not coming out, but I'm working on it". http://www.comicvine.com/san-diego-comic-con-09-jim-lee/112-319/

Jim, I usually don't fanboy out over many comics, but you seriously don't understand how much I LOVE ASBAR. PLEASE hurry dude.

Posted at

I was reading that according to this comic con, "motion comics" are going to be more common.

How exactly are "motion comics", comics and not cartoon?
Cause they suck compared to normal cartoons so you have to give them a fancy name?

It's like the "interactive movie" games from the early CD-ROM days with full motion video (which were BARELY interactive and not really much of a movie either).

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

…I heard that Twilight fans camped in front of Hall H for hours, even days, so they could get into the Twilight panel. This prevented other people from getting into panels that were before and after the Twilight one. ….That's just not right. Apparently this happened last year too with a Twilight panel, so I'm surprised they would let it happen again.

Twilight fans are retaded dicks, big shock.

This almost makes me glad I didnt go to comic-con this year. If some uppidy Twilight fags ruined my chance to see a panel or get to a booth I wanted to see, no doubt would I have resorted to questionable - possibly illegal - means to vacate the crowd.

Posted at

I used to go to SD comic-con every year, but haven't been there since 2005, when I moved back east. I've heard that since then, the crowds have been getting bigger and bigger, and the lines longer and longer. I hear that tickets for certain days become sold out even before the convention happens. It used to be about comics, and now it's become the place for major movie studios to showcase their new projects. …Which kinda takes the "comic" out of "comic-con."

I'm with you here, I've been to 3 or 4 of them, the last one was the summer the first Hellboy movie came out. That was the year I realized that it was going to be a lot more about movies and stuff from that point on, and the crowds+cost+annoyances weren't going to be enough to balance out the things I thought were interesting and fun.

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

Twilight fans are retaded dicks, big shock.

This almost makes me glad I didnt go to comic-con this year. If some uppidy Twilight fags ruined my chance to see a panel or get to a booth I wanted to see, no doubt would I have resorted to questionable - possibly illegal - means to vacate the crowd.

I can only hope this wouldn't involve taking cues from your own characters:
http://www.drunkduck.com/Le_Farce/index.php?p=581644

NickGuy
NickGuy
Posted at

theres always NYCC…which is quickly becoming another SDCC….

and really, the best cons arent those. SPX is awesome, ive met frank miller there. Ive heard heroesCon is good.

basically, go to the cons about actual comic books.

JoeL_CQB
JoeL_CQB
Posted at

I thought about going, because I usually press pass my way in.

but it's too much planning with the how to get there and where to stay.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

Image Comics: Totally got on my good side with what they've been doing lately. I mean, I've been digging the shit out of Invincible and i follow the book to support my PencilJack alumni homies, but with the latest Conquest arc, that shit was INTENSE. Absolutely what i love to read and I'm hooked.

I also cannot wait for Haunt.

I don't really care for Mayhem, but Tyrese Gibson taking time to come to the con and be a really cool fucking guy to promote his book and be excited about it, won me over. I'm going to check it out for that.
I got Invince 64 and wanted to both punch and hug kirkman, goddamn trolling bastard xP Yay for eve! That was the most gory comic i have ever read though.

I saw some preview pages for haunt, i think mcfarlane kinda pooped on Ottleys art, i mean i know ottley is becoming known for one particular cartoony art style but…

He made 'em look so damn ugly compared to the sexy pencils. Sigh i guess a horror comic requires gritty ugly characters, really though he could have shat on the page and i'd still buy it though.

I have zero respect for Tyrese after these:http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22065

http://shannoncronin.com/blog/becoming-a-successful-comic-book-writer-5-steps-to-follow/#comments

tezzle
tezzle
Posted at

I'd love to go one year if I had the money to pay for tickets and fly down there. However, I have several concerns that are just personal things for me. I'll list them here, and if I'm wrong or exaggerating anything, correct me, because I would like to go someday:

1. I'm not 100% comfortable in a large crowd, and from what I see and hear, Comic Con is like a giant high-school hallway in-between classes. Cramped, people walking every which direction, and if more then 3 people are in front of you and either slow down or stop, you're going to have to as well. I don't get claustrophobic or panic or anything, it's just harder to have a good time is all.

2. I've never been diagnosed with any kind of hearing problem, but if it's fairly noisy, I always feel like everyone can hear each other except me. It could just be a general ruckus around, and if me & my friends are talking I can only hear the closet people around me very well at all. Happened every day at lunch in school.

3. I'm not stingy with my money, but I'm a believer in getting my money's worth when I DO spend it. If I pay out the wazoo to get into a convention center, I'm not giving them my money to give me the privilege to stand in lines all day for stuff that may or may not happen when I get to the front. I always hear about how crazy stuff has been there, and how panels close down or fill up or just general chaos ensuing, especially this year with the Twilight fans coming in and taking seats for OTHER panels just to make sure they have that seat for the Twilight one. I don't care what they're fans of, if you like Twilight, whatever, but that's just freaking rude.

However, I'll probably go in spite of all that if I ever have the chance. Probably in costume. I'm not one of those "cos-players" that like obsesses over costumes & things, but I do love dressing up for Halloween. Same concept, less candy.

NickGuy
NickGuy
Posted at

I also cannot wait for Haunt.

I got Invince 64 and wanted to both punch and hug kirkman, goddamn trolling bastard xP Yay for eve! That was the most gory comic i have ever read though.

I saw some preview pages for haunt, i think mcfarlane kinda pooped on Ottleys art, i mean i know ottley is becoming known for one particular cartoony art style but…

He made 'em look so damn ugly compared to the sexy pencils. Sigh i guess a horror comic requires gritty ugly characters, really though he could have shat on the page and i'd still buy it though.

I have zero respect for Tyrese after these:http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22065

http://shannoncronin.com/blog/becoming-a-successful-comic-book-writer-5-steps-to-follow/#comments

its kinda funny you say that, since on the spawn boards, theyve been bitching that ottley ruined capullos original layouts. he totally changed the shape of the lips and the girl

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

guys i just when tto comiccon and it turn s out everyone there was nerd whats up with that!?!?!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

guys i just when tto comiccon and it turn s out everyone there was nerd whats up with that!?!?!
Don't drink and post man. -_-

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

Don't drink and post man. -_-

im not as drunk as you think i'm drunk

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.