Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Comics are my life! Seriously!

Posted at

Gday everybody!
I learnt to read by looking at (and slowly learning to read) Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge adventures.
I had a big old box full of them that sadly got left in my childhood 'Secret Headquarters' my brother and I built in the patch of rainforest behind our house. (The whiteants found the box and turned it into a mound of dirt)
Every school holidays my Mum would hire a TV (we didn't have one in the house until I was 16, sad hey?) and I would watch every cartoon possible. But then the holidays would finish and I would go back to comics and books.
Living in Australia the comic supply was extremely limited… TinTin, Asterix, and the occasional superhero stuff.
To this day I don't like superhero comics (except for the modern Spiderman).
Because of this limited supply I avidly read lots of comic strips. The first character I seriously tried to draw was 'the dog' from a New Zealand strip called 'Footrot Flats'.
At Uni I studied film and discovered I could make good money out of teaching classes of kids at the local schools how to draw cartoons. (my Mum, being a teacher fostered any creative spark with 'How-To' books so I was adept at all the techniques.)
That was back in '92 and I have been teaching ever since all over Australia.
During that time I wrote and drew a comic strip called Zamba Daze about a family and its dog, Illustrated various business signage and marketing material, a few book covers, etc. and tried my hand at various business ventures.
I have always told stories in my classes at teh schools. Some of these stories began to develop over the years and I decided in about 2001 to set up a web site teaching cartoon art which would also be the vehicle for those stories to form and develop further.
Two years ago some money came into my life so I purchased a G5 Quad and a Wacom Cintiq 21UX, learnt how to use photoshop and Carrara 5 (a 3D program) and I was off…. I spent the last two years hitting the severe learning curve of digital art and website construction. The site is online but membership is slow so I googled 'on-line comic' and found DD.
So here I am….

I absolutely love some of the new styles of comic being published these days, both on-line and in hard copy, and look forward to reading more of members' stuff.

Sorry about the size of the banner…
I'll fix it soon as I get time, I've only just worked out how to do it tonight.

Dark Clown
Dark Clown
Posted at

Wow thats a mouth full. We would Like to Say Welcome. And Would you like a Nice Cold Hot Cola?

Posted at

'Ello guvnah. It's so very nice to see a new fella' in DD.

To be honest, I read most of your post.

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

Well then, you're in the right place.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

Welcome!

I remember those Scrooge MacDuck comics! We had a gigantic full-color hardback book on our coffee table. I read that thing all the time. You know, I forgot all about that until reading your post.

Posted at

Good Day, Professor.

I think I popped out of the wound reading. I was one of those kids that used to get grounded from my books and my love for them has not faded with time. I can remember reading "Richie Rich" comics and of course, "Archie." I like a good "Superhero" comic, myself.

Lots of Australians here at "The Duck." I'm not the artist of our "team." I'm more a wordsmith. I taught for several years, but now I write. Can't wait to see your "stuff." Welcome to Drunk Duck.

DLMcomics
DLMcomics
Posted at

Welcome! I'm fairly new to webcomics, also. I'd like to think of myself as a professor. OF LOVE. *wink wink How YOU doin'?

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

As the TD would say, tl;dr

But welcome! Have this box of meat as a token of my good will and such and so.

Posted at

What a coincidence, comics are my life too! Welcome to the Duck!

crazyninny
crazyninny
Posted at

Even though I've seen you around here already, welcome!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.