Posted at

I thought that some folks here might be interested in this, so I'm sharing what came across my college newspaper blog. I'm not affiliated with it, but I'd like to spread the word about it.

CrossBRONX is a new on-line journal for Bronx-based writers and artists, and a project of the Bronx Council on the Arts (BCA).

Whether you are new to the borough or a long-time native, a resident or someone who works and contributes your time and energy to a Bronx community, we are interested in your poems, stories (real and imagined), and digital art.

If you are a writer or a reader, an artist in a different discipline, or just someone who loves the Bronx and is invested in the borough’s cultural life, we hope you will find something here which moves or inspires you.

CrossBRONX is seeking short stories, creative non-fiction, poetry and photography on the theme of HOME. CrossBRONX will also be published twice in 2009. Look for new editions in July and in November.

What does home mean to you? What is it like to have a love/hate relationship with your home? What if home is a friend’s couch, or a shelter, or a park? Is it a color, a sound, a sudden sharp sense memory? Home is a complicated concept, and for this issue we want new and challenging views of what “home” means. We want to meet fictional characters who wrestle with the diverse emotional, physical, and spiritual landscape of “home.” We want poetry that illuminates different aspects of “home” – safety, warmth, family, confinement, repression, fear, love, food, sex, etc. We want photographs that show us something we’ve never seen before.

Submissions are welcome from Bronx-based writers, as well as work that takes place in the Bronx.

Submissions for the Summer issue are due by June 20th, but we will consider all work received after this date for the fall issue.

For Fiction & Creative Non-Fiction
Submissions can be no more than 6,500 words or approximately 20 double-spaced pages. Very short works welcome. Send prose submissions/proposals to:prosesubmit@bronxarts.org.

For Poetry
Submissions of up to three (3) poems per author. Send poetry submissions to:poetrysubmit@bronxarts.org.

For Original Digital Art/Photography
Up to three (3) submissions per artist, with a maximum file size of 100 megabytes. Send digital art/photography submissions or a link to a website to:artphotosubmit@bronxarts.org.

Submissions will be accepted by e-mail only.

Include full name, mailing address, and e-mail address in the body of your e-mail. All text pages must be titled and numbered with one-inch margins, double-spaced and typed in 12-point font.