Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Can you dance?

If so, in what way?
-stupid drunk party dancing.
-Classical ballet.
-rap, contemporary, or some other sort of modern cool shit…?
-Ballroom.
-Disco
-Moonwalk lol!
-tango

…And I dunno what else. I just thought this was an interesting question.
————–

I can't really dance, apart from stupid drunken stuff. I took tango lessons once, but that was mainly for the attractive dance partners… I didn't learn much except that it's a nice excuse to hold a lovely lady very close. It's hard to learn with a distraction like that.

Anyway, I really admire people that can move well to music. Anyone who can. Can you?

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I swing danced once during a banquet. There was the poor guy going around asking if anyone could dance. I was bored so I danced.

Haven't danced much since then.

Unless…

Does DDR count?

Chernobog
Chernobog
Posted at

I learned to slow dance from my grandmother. We used to waltz about the kitchen while we listened to old big band music.

As to whether I can dance beyond that, it's debatable. It definitely gets attention of some kind! The norms of dancing this days sort of annoys me. I don't think all dance everywhere should be choreographed. It strikes me as being overly stilted routine rather than a natural expression.

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

Damn straight I can. Granted, it's just moving around to the beat, feeling the rhythm and getting into it. Anyone can dance, you don't need those fancy-schmancy dance moves. Just feel the beat, man. FEEL IT!

Sea_Cow
Sea_Cow
Posted at

Damn straight I can. Granted, it's just moving around to the beat, feeling the rhythm and getting into it. Anyone can dance, you don't need those fancy-schmancy dance moves. Just feel the beat, man. FEEL IT!

'Cause I'm loose… Footloose…

What?

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

drunken dancer, but you have to take that a step further and add a wedding in there too.

Posted at

I have never tried sober :-s but what I lack in talent, I make up for in enthusiasm

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

in 6th grade we were taught to waltz.i still remember, but i dont get to use it often. (mostly when i'm being romantic with my wife)

when i've got a little captain in me, i can do a jig, and when i'm trashed i'm a robot.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I took jazz dance classes for 10 years. I also tried tap and modern. None of this made me any more graceful…so no. No I don't dance.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Does DDR count?
Yep. :)
you don't need those fancy-schmancy dance moves.
True, but that looks so go though… Man I used to admire Fred Astair and Gene Kelly when I was little. But Astair was a bit too flashy at times.

But I know what you mean. Still, those moves are admirable!
————–

Eh, I used to folkdance when I was little, I'd forgotten about that. I used to love the energetic old Australian folkdance music. Lots of high energy and jumping about. ^_^
I don't think all dance everywhere should be choreographed.
100% agreed.
And even choreographed dancing should still follow the music (if it has music).

This of course being a delightful example :)

…so no. No I don't dance.
Yes. Yes you do. Now dance hippy, DANCE! >:}

Posted at

I practiced Capoeira. That's a form of fighting dance.

Also break dance is derived from that.

Granted, I'm not nearly as good as these guys.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I dunno if I really think of that the same way though… From those vids at least.

The moves are AMAZING, but it's less like dancing there and more just showing off acrobatic skill. :(
Very impressive and amazing, but more the sort of thing that I was talking about with Fred Astair that would take things too far- more just for the performance than the dance.

Heh, perhaps it's just too complex for me. More like how clever jazz is to conventional music, -if you get that analogy. :)
Incredible and amazing nonetheless!

Posted at

Yeah, those videos are a bit over the top, probably because these guys seem to be highly trained professionals who are pushing their abilities to the limit.

Capoeira is classified as dancing but not quite. Fighting but not quite. Music but not quite. It's an activity where people meet to enjoy themselves.

Capoeira has a complicated history. It has no clear background root but is more haphazardly combined traditions from various tribes from Africa. Slavers didn't care about where you came from and placed you to a highest bitter where you were forced to share living space with your sworn enemies and people you've never heard of.

Someone put it like this. Imagine if Aliens would visit Earth today and randomly pick people from all over the world. Those kidnapped would be placed on a slave colony on the other side of the universe. You know that as far as you're gonna live, you will never see your home ever again. All your loved ones are as good as dead for you. You have to form bonds with strangers who don't even speak your language. Eventually you will all pick a common language (or you're forced to learn the language of your masters) and you will stop seeing each others as American, Russian, Chinese, Australian, South African, France and so on. Black, Hispanic, White will loose all meaning and you'll start to see each other as humans. When that happens, people will form a unique bond where traditions and philosophies will merge. Someone will take African tribal dances and merge it with Western music. Asian born martial arts will become contaminated with Russian traditions. A cultural mixing pot will brew out of these situation something, truly unique.

That my friend, is Capoeira.

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

lol I love that dancing video ozone, and her hat rocks.

….But when it comes to that song, this one is cooler ;)

lol!

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

The Stomp is pretty good and even The Bump has it's moments, but I'm really a Hustle kind of guy:

Posted at

I consider my form of dancing a type of drunken epilepsy. When I dance people yell, "Be careful you don't swallow your tongue!"

Posted at

Last Fall semester I took an American Dance Class at my college and I actually learned a lot from waltzing, to swinging, to fox trotting. It was fun, but I only pretty much retained the easy stuff, because its easier to remember "looong, short-short" than complicated irish jigging.
Lately, Ive had a few weddings to go to and show off. It was nice, but my boyfriend tends to get too energetic and ends up doing the sprinkler within 5 minutes.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

Dancing?
Heck yeah!
all kinds.
had Ballet at young age.
Took Ballroom in College. ;)
was voted best dancer in school.
And have been known to present an elaborate dance number at weddings.
At my friend Ray's wedding I created a beautiful interpretive dance number for all to enjoy to the ever-inspiring "It's Raining Men" by The Weather Girls.
It was glorious!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

@Lastcall-
Yep, that's pretty cleaver AND it's a kind of dancing. I like the box-head girls as well, and a funny sprite animation to, but my fave is dancin' gal. ^_^

@Ironscarf-
heh, I learned to do all that stuff in highschool. Not very well though, no way was I was loose and natural as that. that old dicso stuff still looks magnificent.

@Midge-
Nonnono… see what you did there was confuse the movies for reality again. -_-
That was the landlord in the Big Lebowski ;)

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

@Midge-
Nonnono… see what you did there was confuse the movies for reality again. -_-
That was the landlord in the Big Lebowski ;)

Um.. No.
There is video of said dances at weddings.
My friend Ray had posted a photo from this beautiful dance as fan art when I was running for Drunk Duck Overlord.
I will need to encourage him post it on Youtube so all can share in its glory.
At one wedding I had performed to "SexyBack" by the talented Justin Timberlake which ended with a slide across the floor with hip thrusts.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

So, are we talking the Boss from The Office:

Or the real life version of the Big Lebowski's landlord? :)

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

I am going to say real life version of both and more.
I bring it!
and Ladies, I am available for bachlorette parties!

Posted at

I am going to say real life version of both and more.
I bring it!
and Ladies, I am available for bachlorette parties!
That's right ladies. Midge knows the moves. Have him dance at your parties.

… if you know what's good for you.

Posted at

Dancing is fun. I don't think I'm very good, but I have a good time.

I think it's funny that there was hardly any music in my household growing up (just stuff like Perry Cuomo Christmas records), but I took dance classes for years. I don't do ballet or tap anymore. Nowadays, it's mostly belly dance. I really like going out for salsa and meringue.

Posted at

I dance all the time. In my room mostly, but I bust a few moves at the mixers (aka lame prep school dances.) I've never had a lesson, so I pretty much do my own ill advised thing. Me and my friend usually dance crazily together… I'd ask a boy, but their idea of dancing is rubbing their junk on your butt. Most of them don't even ask before getting all up in there, or however them hip young childrens say it these days. 10 points if you feel something buldging in their pocket.

Shuddershudder.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.