Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

DD Chatroom?

marine
marine
Posted at

What happened? Its not where it used to be. I need Randal to call me imature and ban me for saying inapropriate things again!

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Oh yeah, way back when there WAS a chat room, wasn't there? We should bring that back.

Volte6
Volte6
Posted at

I have some crazy ideas for a chat room ;) But alas, in time!

Posted at

would certainly be a good way to pass the time. :)

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

Yeah. Really cool. It'll all be like "HEY GAIS!! LOL" 'OMG U IS BAK!!!!'

I'm going to love it!

Volte6
Volte6
Posted at

If I go ahead with the chat idea, there is a good chance it won't adhere to the IRC protocol… I know this may be a disappointment for some people who love to idle in IRC, but on the other hand it opens us up for some really exciting options.

marine
marine
Posted at

What the fuck does "opens up really exciting options" mean? It doesn't work? Its something no ones used before? It can do crappy features no one needs? IRC already does just about everything a chat program can do, and what it can't do, telnet can. Thats what telnets for. But even IRC can do better stuff then telnet. Opens up exciting options. Developers DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS!

Volte6
Volte6
Posted at

Well, since you phrased your question so eloquently…

IRC is old technology. It's extremely limited in capability and not an ideal choice for an art driven community. Furthermore, while supported by some software such as Trillian, it is not often that a typical user understands HOW to use it. There are a lot of confusing aspects of IRC.

Finally, when we DID have an IRC room, and when it WAS promoted, nobody wanted to use it, save maybe under 20 regular users.

IRC has very little going for it in terms of it's usefulness on DrunkDuck. We need something more current, and more capable, with (possibly optional) features that lend themselves to the interest of DrunkDuckers. To this end it's likely we will end up with a custom solution… and no, it will not be telnet.

Posted at

I'm looking forward to a more integrated chatroom like what you did with the forums and the site.

Posted at

Finally, when we DID have an IRC room, and when it WAS promoted, nobody wanted to use it, save maybe under 20 regular users.

I just want to back this statement up because a bunch of us (Zwuh, myself, and a few others) really did try to push the IRC chatroom the best we could. I think it had its high moments but 20 is quite a generous number.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Chatting could have its possibilities. I know I've had a few long chats over PQ that would've gone a lot quicker and smoother if it was sped up a bit. It'd be good if PQs could have the option to turn into a real time chat if the other person was online at the time.

Not one of those stupid IM type things (those are just exploits waiting to happen), but perhaps there could be an alert that pops up when you're about to PQ someone that says "this person is currently online, would you like to request a chat?". Then it'd send them an invite to a Drunk Duck based HTML chatroom, (not just if they were in the forums at the time, but looking at comics too). And you'd have the chance to decline invites with some custom message like: "this user does not wish to chat with anyone at the moment thankyou", or ban people, or even turn off the chat option altogether in your profile!

Wow, that's a cool idea! :)
Ah well, there's often more of a need for those sorts of one to one chats and they're a lot easier to get into than a general room of 20 strangers, so it'd likely see a lot more use. But it'd be good if you could invite others in on them as well so you could set up little discussions… Sound useful?

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

paintchat would be good.

DrunkDuck used to have an oekaki board.

Posted at

chat sounds interesting :) Imagine all those debates!!

theleast
theleast
Posted at

Chat sounds like fun, as long as there's some kind of moderation.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.