Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Death of a Pupil

Liaoriao
Liaoriao
Posted at

About a month ago or so, someone at my school died. I knew little about him, other then that he had cancer and was being treated for it. He came into school now and then so not to fall behind. Then one day, poof, he was gone.

All the teachers where incredibly upset and the whole school closed for a day in his memory. However, from some extra research I did on my school I found out a young girl died at the school before I came. She had no day off in her memory. Or anything in her memory.

The parent, and also teacher, of the boy who died, instantly had special treatment. She acted all happy and smiled nicely. However she was having a much better life without her son. She bought a new car and new clothing. Whenever asked about her son she'd say she was fine. This was only weeks after he died. Then, we had a WHOLE WEEK off school as the headmaster (who had just started teaching this year) couldn't handle the stress. When we came back, the teacher acted completely different. She marked unfairly and insulted pupils right out. No one complained due to her 'tragic loss'.

Later, the library in our school was rebuilt in memory of the boy and his mother, as where two other classrooms. Benches popped up all over the grounds with the boys name on, and of course, his mothers.

But back to the young girl I mentioned earlier. She too died of cancer and no more was heard of her. I asked my form teacher about her but I got nothing. I couldn't ask the headmaster being here for so little time. But I feel like something should be done. I cannot stress how unfair this subject is. Two people at my school died, one has their name, and their mothers, plastered everywhere. The other, no one knows her name. I mean, all due respects to the boy, but its just awful how his death is being exploited for the mothers wants while someone else died and people give you a blank look when you say their name!

I'm curious as to what others would do in this situation. I mean, is this really any of my business? After all, I only know the two from research. I never actually met them. However, they did die at the school I'm attending, so does that make it my business? Would you do anything about it if given the choice, if so, what would you do?

If you read all of that, many thanks for reading. Please respond.
~Liao

Posted at

I'm curious as to what others would do in this situation. I mean, is this really any of my business? After all, I only know the two from research. I never actually met them. However, they did die at the school I'm attending, so does that make it my business? Would you do anything about it if given the choice, if so, what would you do?

I'd take a gooood loooong serious look at why I might feel a need to vilify the survivors of one student and elevate the other student.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

It happens. Maybe in the boy's case they made a bigger thing about it as he was dying? It could be as simple as that. :)

If the case is more widely known about as it's happening, it'll create a bigger effect when it actually occurs. Possibly?

Plus there's a bit more of a tendency for public grieving these days. For better or worse. It's just how things are. ^_^

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

Plus there's a bit more of a tendency for public grieving these days. For better or worse. It's just how things are. ^_^

Agreed. For example, around here (Netherlands, for those of you who didn't know yet), there's been a lot going on about senseless violence, i.e.: people getting killed if they try to help someone else, or getting killed after they get mugged. I know, compared to the US this'll sound like everyday life, but around here it's fairly new (I use that term loosely). Ever since the first case of death through senseless violence got on the news, people have been holding silent parades and rallies and what not for the victims.

The hypocitical thing though, is that if the first case had been in the news years earlier, this would've started years earlier. If it would have been in the news yesterday, then yesterday would be the first time anyone would've cared.

So it's like Ozone said, once word gets out on something like that, peopel jump on it and act all like 'Look at me, I feel so bad'. I doesn't matter who died, in the end. If the girl would have been a bit more well known it'd be her name all over the grounds instead.

Posted at

Pupil dying, thats provocative!

Sea_Cow
Sea_Cow
Posted at

shit sux, kthxbai

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

I'm sorry for your tragic loss. My condolences.

However, please keep in mind that life is not ever gonna be fair (in good and bad ways lol).

Now I just imagine if ever I died back in highschool due to my angsty-suicidal nature, it will be just like how Kenny dies in every Southpark episode. Insignificant. I swear to God I could disappear for a week without anybody noticing it. Which is good since I can use that disappearance time as cover for my evil evil plans of world domination. lol!

crazyninny
crazyninny
Posted at

I had an event happen just like this last school year.

Last year, a well know student at school died from a accedentil gun accedent. Everyone was crying for him, there wasn't a dry eye as school for at least a month. But there was no day off for him, even if it was needed, the teachers and office never gave a damn.
Well, remeber that bus crash last year? Scott H. was a graduate from our school, and when he died, we had a day off and a memorial funeral for him in the gym! The news was all on this, and I think something was named after him.
But, know one really knew who he was, he wasn't that well know to the other kid, but he was praised like a god. I think it was the media attention that drove this.

This was very unfair. One student, loved by all dies, and gets nothing. One student that was on the news dies, and he gets everything.

Fair? No. Right? No, will there be justice for this? Propably not.

Posted at

We don't get that alot at my schools. If someone dies we try to pretend that it never happened and they never existed, probably just dedicate a minute of silence for the event a week after it happened and have a facebook group towards it. So sincere, right?

But really it's not fair and you should find a way to take this apart, take it to the Headmaster and basically raise hell before you graduate. Raise it. But subtlety, of course. You don't want to raise offense with the people who are so stressed and distraught over this young man.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.