Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Does the way a person act in the forum make you not want to read their comics?

Posted at

With me? Yes. I'm vindictive and hateful and spiteful and seeing the way some people treat others here makes me stop reading their comics.
I'm sure some of you have thought the same of me.
The worst it ever got for me hating was during that clever april fools prank and some people took it seriously and pretty much ruined themselves.

The old DD had separate forum and comic accounts which made it hard for me to do this. Kind of makes me feel like a bad person, but oh well.

(lol, I just caught my poor grammar)

Bekefel
Bekefel
Posted at

I haven't got any comics anymore, and I am constantly mean on the forums. So it has no bearing on me.

It could explain lefarces lack of comments, since most people don't like him so much.

Not me though, not me.

If I see people posting alot on the forums, it generally tempts me to click their name more often. I don't really care what they have to say.

Neilsama
Neilsama
Posted at

With the exception of two people… ever… I've never met anyone on a forum that behaved so badly that it made me not want to read their comic. You really have to be one hell of a son of a bitch on a forum to get me to actually hate you. And I'm a total scold sometimes. You've seen me get opinionated and furious with people, but I never carry a grudge with anyone.

People really have to go out of their way to make me hate them to such a degree that I will intentionally avoid their site.

fern
fern
Posted at

I'm with Neil'. You would have to be a real jackass for me to completely stop reading your comics, but in reality… that has never happened. Plus, the people who do behave like complete assholes usually get what's coming to them.

So no worries at my end, I loves yah all.

vgman
vgman
Posted at

People who are asses draw me to there comic. I just have to see what these people do in there spare time. They intrigue me so.

warren
warren
Posted at

No, if I was already liking their comic them revealing themselves as an asshole won't change that.

I'd be more likely to avoid reading their posts, if anything.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I don't think I've ever felt too put off by people to look at a comic. I will give most comics a chance. I only comment on comics if I think the creator would appreciate it, though. Plus, usually people I wouldn't get along with in life create the type of stuff I'm not really interested in reading. (But I'll check it out anyway.)

I am more likely to read comics of people who seem to have the kind of personality or sense of humor that clicks with my own because I will probably enjoy the type of story lines or jokes that those minds generate.

If I'm already reading the comic of a jerk, I won't stop reading or enjoying it. I usually stop reading their forum posts altogether.

Posted at

Forum etiquette has very little to do with whether I read someone's comic or not.

Although if someone is really really good at being a jerk, I might give them a cursory glance. But they have to be like masterful at being a jerk. Like it's their job.

Posted at

Of course it does. But its only an influencer, not the entire thing. There are plenty of comics that are well drawn and have engaging storylines where I disagree with the artist and whatnot.

However, the idea that talent can completely overshadow personality works only when there's *a lot* of talent there, which, in the case of my comic…well, lets just say I try to stay nice :D

Posted at

That's actually a pretty good question.

If I see a total asshole in the forums (which I seriously haven't seen yet in DrunkDuck), I usually want to see their comic. Why? Curiosity. I want to see if their comic reflects on their personality. I'm not saying that I'd laugh at it if it was complete crap. I'd just want to see if he had any love for his comic whatsoever, or if he was a good artist, maybe if his comic was offensive (just like his replies in forums). Usually, they don't have their own comic. The real assholes just get an account to piss people off in the forums.

Rori
Rori
Posted at

If I see someone who's really smart or funny (or seems so)I always check out their page for comics (same way with comments). Some people are so boring I don't bother, but I've never stopped reading a comic because someone was assy in the forums.

EDIT: I make myself sound too nice. I do refuse to read a certain person's comic (to begin with) because of their constant idiocy in the forums, call it a boycott, whatever.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

well check out some this fun thread…

http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=32929&cid=234

this guy doesn't have a comic…but I already have a bad taste in my mouth.

He's keeping his vitriol in an appropriate place. He's also not going around to other places in the forums looking for opportunity to badmouth others (hint)

:)

touche`

the thread was there… and it was the timing… and…my bad.

Posted at

For me yes.
If someone is attacking people personally on the forums and being a total jackass I really wont be able to put that out of my mind while reading their work.

Same as if say one of my favorite creators killed his wife and kids I wouldn't keep reading his stuff.

kitty17
kitty17
Posted at

For me no. I mean if I enjoy reading their comics I won't stop just cause they're horrible people. I would just try to avoid any of their posts on the forum. If they ended up making everything about them offensive, including possibly adding hurtful or offensive remarks, or images on their comics based on actual people around here, then I'd have to think about.

Posted at

I tend to look at the comics of whoever strikes me as an interesting person, asshole or not. I guess being boring just indicates the same for the comic, in my head. And also, i think thats MY problem… I tend to be an asshole, and it seems my comic is dropping in hits.

marine
marine
Posted at

I never let forum posters influence me at all, most of them are unfunny and lame.

Posted at

That's actually a pretty good question.

If I see a total asshole in the forums (which I seriously haven't seen yet in DrunkDuck), I usually want to see their comic. Why? Curiosity. I want to see if their comic reflects on their personality. I'm not saying that I'd laugh at it if it was complete crap. I'd just want to see if he had any love for his comic whatsoever, or if he was a good artist, maybe if his comic was offensive (just like his replies in forums). Usually, they don't have their own comic. The real assholes just get an account to piss people off in the forums.

Im the same way. and the funny thing is, the people that gets on my nerves badly ends up having a webcomic that's not really good at all.

sometimes the art is good, but thier humor sucks (if they were going for humor-based comic). And if it's supposed to be a serious story, it doesn't seem like it.

or it's the way around. some of the humor and stuff is good, but the artwork is SO awful.

some people were just meant to be just a writer, not an artist. or a artist only instead of being a writer.

spellchild
spellchild
Posted at

Definately. I hate assholes online. I've had to deal with that at my other community. Most people build a wall to shield themselves from that but some other people can't stand it too long and leave. I wouldn't want to read their comic or anything. I don't like giving people like that my valuable time.

Posted at

No, most of the greatest artists I have known have been Complete assholes, It has not altered My opinion of thier creative works.
Maybe the talent they bear is a Double edged sword and it is hard to be Pleasant all the time when they have Such creations waiting to channel through them.

Artists are like a freaky natural recource, like a Volcano, or a tornado.

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

Definitely, the way a person presents themselves in the forums affects whether or not I'll read their comic. That's not to say that if someone's a jerk I'll not read their comic (it doesn't help them, though), but let's say if someone has a really bad sense of humor or uses really pointless run on sentences. Generally if I get the impression that a poster is a bad writer from what they put in the forums, I'll leave their comic well alone. I'll also be more inclined to look at someone's comic if they have an avatar or banner that's drawn very well, sometimes despite horrid grammar.

And, like many people, if someone is terrible enough at everything, sometimes I'll check out their comic just to see what the Hell is wrong with them.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

There is only one person in this forum whose banner I will never ever click on -not even once- due to my perception of that person's forum behavior.

And it's not because that person has a poor personality. In fact, I think that he often makes observant and sedate comments just like all of us.

Vindibudd
Vindibudd
Posted at

I know how to distinguish art from artist.

I subscribe to this.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.