Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Duststorm '09

Posted at

I live about 2 hours away from Sydney, and right now, everything outside my window is orange. Just completely orange. There's this duststorm that is apparentally common in Victoria (state) but it's all the way up in Sydney. It's pretty spooky. You can see some pictures of it here. It's like the apocalypse or something.

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

whoa,yeah man that's heavy!

mr_thin
mr_thin
Posted at

I live about 2 hours away from Sydney, and right now, everything outside my window is orange. Just completely orange. There's this duststorm that is apparentally common in Victoria (state) but it's all the way up in Sydney. It's pretty spooky. You can see some pictures of it here. It's like the apocalypse or something.

This was one of the last communications we received from the continent of Australia. No man, woman, or child escaped alive from the red dust.

Posted at

This was one of the last communications we received from the continent of Australia. No man, woman, or child escaped alive from the red dust.

I'm not… dead………. ye—-

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Look on the bright side. You're not in the middle of the Dust Bowl or anything (although from what I've read about that subject, places in China are starting to become that way)…

amanda
amanda
Posted at

Oh my God! The red dust causes mass confusion, resulting in everyone driving on the wrong side of the road! ^.^

But seriously, that's pretty freaky.

Posted at

Nah, it was great being in the middle of it! I took a few good pics, I might post them here if I get the chance.

It was cool, like I was on Mars! Although now, because the sun has risen, it's a yellow haze.

AzuJOD
AzuJOD
Posted at

I too saw the red haze this morning. It was quite a sight to behold. I wasn't sure whether to be amazed or terrified!

BffSatan
BffSatan
Posted at

I was afraid for my life.

Posted at

yeah? I thought it was totally wicked. And did you hear it's likely to happen again tomorrow?

BffSatan
BffSatan
Posted at

You won't think it's totally wicked when you're attacked by sand people.

Cope
Cope
Posted at

We got a dust storm in South-East Queensland too, but it only went a little bit orange. I feel gypped.

Posted at

Oh jesus! Tuskan raiders or some different sand people?

Yeah, I woke up (well, I got woken up) really early when the sun was rising, so for me it was actually a bight orange/red. Like Mars!

BffSatan
BffSatan
Posted at

Yup, tusken raiders.
Like this for anyone unfamiliar with them.

Posted at

Yeah, I saw a couple interrupt a pod race when I was out. Thankfully they missed me, PHEW!

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

There's only one thing to do in times like these.

Let the artist in you go crazy.

Posted at

Holy crap that's awesome! I mean, I drew a simple smiley face on a bench, but that is a masterpiece.

Gillespie
Gillespie
Posted at

WOW. Is it safe to be in a duststorm, or does the dirt on everybody's clothes, hair and eyes not bother them so much? It seems safe, and it certainly looks way awesomer than the other things going on in the world.
Go duststorms! Woo!

Posted at

Nah, it was a really fine dust (that's why it could get to where I live) so it only settled on stuff that wasn't moving. Parked cars was mainly what I saw dust on. ALthough some people had respiratory problems, but I think they would've had a history of respiratory problems.

Gillespie
Gillespie
Posted at

Oh awesome. The big "natural" thing that happens is in the spring when my area gets hit by a flood at the river that goes through the capital city. Roads get blocked off and the water is freezing cold. I'm glad I live on a hill…

Posted at

yeah, I personally prefer a cool martian red dust storm rather than a freezing cold flood. Although it has flooded around where I live. It doesn't cut off any main roads though.

Posted at

Wow those pictures are both beautiful and scary.
Good thing there is no climate change happening.

Pineapple
Pineapple
Posted at

I used to live in Broken Hill (I know that means nothing to most of you), a crappy little town on the NSW, SA border. It's mining town and so in its early years all the trees in the surrounding area were cut down to prop up the tunnels. Since there was nothing to hold the dust down, we used to get big storms like that at least once a year. Pretty fun really.

Posted at

Damn deforestation! And so you can just be like "yeah whatever, I'm too cool to care about such trivial things as dust storms, psh!"

well they reckon it's happening again tomorrow. I'll be in Sydney for this one too. Better photo ops! Yyeeesssss!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.