Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Futuristic Sea Creature Design Contest

Mazoo
Mazoo
Posted at

EDIT: The deadline for entries is until the end of the First Interlude, which is starting today. That won't be for another couple of months, but still be sure to get those entries in! I really appreciate everyone who has already entered and it looks like it's gonna be pretty tough to pick through them!

Hey guys, Mazoo here, creator of Life Like Weeds!

I'm here because I need your help.

My comic is set in the undetermined future, where the world is flooded and everything is completely underwater. In such a world, I want the animal life to reflect that to a certain realistic extent.

So! What I need you guys to do, is to design a "futuristic" sea creature. I'm not looking for anything like bionic fish or "sharks with lasers" or anything like that. I'm looking for something more like natural evolution of marine life in an undetermined amount of time. For example: What what cattle look like if they were "aquaticized"? Or an elephant, or a giraffe, or a dog, or a horse or etc…?

All you have to do is draw a picture of a sea creature from the future, and either post it in this thread or email me at ewalburg(at)gmail.com. Winning entries will have their design placed into the comic (with credit and a plug, of course), and will get a free commission painting on a notecard mailed to them! (If the entry is extremely nice, or comes with fan art, the commission may be updated to a full 8.5 x 11 inch piece of paper. Paints are expensive, you know!)

Thanks everyone, and good luck!

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

Sounds interesting…I'll see what I can do.

Posted at

Sorry it's sketchy. :S

Drew a "seahorse." I didn't want the legs at first…had it as fins but it looked a bit imbalanced? Anyhow, poisonous barbs at the back and hooves that have evolved into hooks for digging and defending. Bigger mouth for…really angry yelling?

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I made an aquatic rat (of all the creatures that are good at surviving… ;-) )

http://www.drunkduck.com/Used_Books_FanArt/gfx/searat.png

The size of a terrestrial rat, scavenger just the same. Loss of digits and fusion of hind legs for swimming. Tail flattened dorso-ventrally, remaining hairless for temperature regulation (animal would live in warm or temperate water). Front digits remain for holding, cleaning, etc. (wouldn't be very rat-like without them), but are now webbed. Pinna absent, eyes enlarged. It also has a type of dorsal fin for both swimming and additional temperature regulation. It would surface for air and live in large groups on floating vegetation. It would mostly remain in the water but near the surface or other air sources. – And of course, they would get into submerged man-made structures causing damage, spreading disease, and doing what rats do.

cowchspud
cowchspud
Posted at

does it have to be a drawing? or can it be photoshopped?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I had sort of the same idea as usedbooks… :(
Except it's a strange mutated guinea pig sort of creature, with much bigger back legs… I was thinking about the rodents in South America. Ah well, there's probably lots of Aquatic South American rodents anyway already, but I was thinking about guinea pig type rodents that live high up in the Andies, and how they'd be one of the last mammals to adapt you know?

Here's one that got caught.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.