Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

What is the general opinion on grammar and spelling corrections in comments? I'm talking about comics, not forum posts, of course. Spelling is almost as important in that rugged trek to professionalism as good artwork is. Sometimes, I'll be reading a really intriguing comic, only to be slapped in the face by the word "existance" or "recieve" or "wether" something. It bothers me personally, as a reader, but I'm never sure if I should correct the spelling or grammar.

What is your experience with this dilemma?

(maybe we should do an "its/it's" tutorial, and a "their/they're/there" and a "your/you're" and an "effect/affect" tutorial and…. you get the point.)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

That's what English class is for…
:)
It's fine to leave comments about the spelling on people's comic pages. Most people appreciate it, (that doesn't mean they'll follow your advice though). We all make mistakes from time to time and it's good to have observant people pick us up on them!

Posted at

I reckon it's cool. The writer probably usually hasn't even noticed the typo, and they'll be happy that you pointed it out, as long as it's done politely. At least, I would be.

Aeon
Aeon
Posted at

It's true. I'm pretty OCD about grammar, but I still have things that slip by me sometimes. I'd rather someone tell me so I can correct it, instead of having slews of readers think I'm grammatically incompetent.

There are certain words I just can't spell correctly no matter how hard I try, too, so I need all the help I can get in that department.

Posted at

Ending sentences with prepositions is one of the only things I get upset about.

Mimarin
Mimarin
Posted at

Then replacing Than and Their replacing They're are the two things that annoy me most.

Corvin
Corvin
Posted at

Ending sentences with prepositions is one of the only things I get upset about.

haha, that's funny! because you ended your sentence in a preposition! haha!

>_>
<_<
^_^

{bounces away}

Corvin

Posted at

I've made that joke a couple different times in my life…

you're the first person to actually catch it.

Posted at

I would like to be told if there's an error somewhere. I correct them asap and I look them over to have good grammar and spelling, but one is only human :) So yes, I'd like to be told.

Knuckles
Knuckles
Posted at

I think grammar is very important in any story, whether it's told via sequential art, or through a novel. If a story has grammatical errors everywhere, you can't take it very seriously, and it makes me, as the reader think that the artist/author is lazy and doesn't care about his/her own work to take the time and go back to proofread their material (or even get someone else to proofread it).

Posted at

I'd prefer to be told for sure. I leave crits on grammar and spelling if the person is open to crit, otherwise I don't waste my time on it.

Posted at

wow, spang, what an AWESOME SITE!!! Seriously! I could read it for hours! ^o^ I'm weird though and I like learning word/phrase roots. For example, I always thought it was tattle-tail instead of tattletale! And "you can't have your cake and eat it too" never made sense to me, although I knew what it meant; now I know it should be "you can't eat your cake and have it too!" Deep!

I agree with everyone, I pride myself on spelling and grammar, and will change a page if even the comma placement bothers readers. (so for future reference, if any of you happen to ever read my comic and find some sort of typo/misspelling/grammatical error, TELL MEE)

It seems like everyone appreciates spelling alerts, so I'll keep that in mind. thanks! ^.^

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Sure, proper spelling and grammar are important in a comic. Each page is supposed to be a finished piece of work, and pointing out mistakes will help people make the work better.

Eunice P
Eunice P
Posted at

I'm one of the few people who have horrible grammar writing in my comic. D: But since I don't have a proof reader, I've given up doing English comics and started doing my comics in Chinese. D:

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'm one of the few people who have horrible grammar writing in my comic. D: But since I don't have a proof reader, I've given up doing English comics and started doing my comics in Chinese. D:
Your writing was always so good before Eunice, and your writing in the forums is always great… What goes wrong? :(

Hero
Hero
Posted at

That's something I'm really particular about. I can't stand it when people correct my grammar publicly. I'd much prefer someone PM me to let me know of spelling errors rather that point it out in the comments section. That one thing just happens to be a nitpick of mine.

wyldflowa
wyldflowa
Posted at

I wouldn't mind at all if someone corrected my spelling/grammar (as long as they weren't overly smart or assholey about it). I think I'm not too bad but I do make an awful lot of the common errors listed in that site… ^^;

I ust admit, what I get most annoyed about is when I see American spellings of British words… XD I'm a patriotic spelling nazi~

Posted at

I must admit, what I get most annoyed about is when I see American spellings of British words… XD I'm a patriotic spelling nazi~

but… but…
"my favorite color is gray. I always go to the center of the theater and practice memorizing the program."
HA-HA I probably just gave you a heart attack there, eh wyldflowa.
Round 2!
"In my defense, I have fulfilled my goals to honor and criticize."

WOW! Mwahahahahaha America just pwned the rest of the English speakers!

hehe jk!

(I have a British penpal, so I'm well savvy to britishisms. Apparently on the other side of the pond they use the word "ace" meaning "great". Either that or my penpal makes stuff up.)

Eunice P
Eunice P
Posted at

Your writing was always so good before Eunice, and your writing in the forums is always great… What goes wrong? :(

When it comes to writing dialogues in my comics, I lack the creativity in writing spoken dialogues. Every conversational words I write are as stiff as writing a newspaper article. And my Martian comics is just that bad. D:

Posted at

I used to hate writting dialogue, but now it's part of the creative process. I try to imitate those movies that have a funny kick to their dialogue such as 5th element and last man standing. I usually incorporate double meanings and sentence rhythms

Posted at

I want spelling and grammar corrections in my comics. I reserve the right to ignore grammar rules in dialog, but a comment of "What the heck is X talking about" is 'spot on'

Almost every program I use has a built in spell checker. Just no reason not to use it, though I have found myself submitting some very interesting typos. I'm here to get my stuff out, and make it better, so spelling corrections are great.

marine
marine
Posted at

What is the general opinion on grammar and spelling corrections in comments? I'm talking about comics, not forum posts, of course. Spelling is almost as important in that rugged trek to professionalism as good artwork is. Sometimes, I'll be reading a really intriguing comic, only to be slapped in the face by the word "existance" or "recieve" or "wether" something. It bothers me personally, as a reader, but I'm never sure if I should correct the spelling or grammar.

What is your experience with this dilemma?

(maybe we should do an "its/it's" tutorial, and a "their/they're/there" and a "your/you're" and an "effect/affect" tutorial and…. you get the point.)

Sometimes I spell words wrong just to mess with poeple. :smile:

theleast
theleast
Posted at

It's worth noting that in everyday speech we frequently make all kinds of grammatical errors: We leave sentences unfinished, we say "umm", we inappropriately modify existing words to suit our purpose instead of looking for a better one, we finish sentences with nonsensical statements such as "You know". It's worthwhile trying to write dialogue which reflects the fluidity of normal speech.

Spelling errors/typos need to be fixed though (and yes, I'm guilty of making a few of my own) - they serve as an obstacle to enjoying the comic because the reader is focused on *how* things are said, rather than *what* is said.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.