Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Halloween Cameo Caper 2009

Hogan
Hogan
Posted at

Throughout many years it has become custom for a lot of webcomics to do something special around Halloween, especially stunts that involved other comics and/or dressing up of characters are common, and the number of cameos in the various webcomics swell as the eldritch magic of that particular event breaks down the boundaries between webcomics and characters can freely move from comic to comic, dress up and partake in parties of filler-specials all over the worlds of webcomics!
Whew…

Since such out-of-canon activitties are something most people like for special occasion like this, we'll like to promote this great opportunity for interaction by inviting all webcomic-artists and their characters to take part in the annual Halloween Cameo Caper!

The basic idea is to gather all the participating characters in a chosen setting that each year is settled by a poll in the Caper's forum, and here they'll all, on the day of Halloween, have a great party together, a party that will spread all through the participating comics, letting the characters mingle and have fun!
Each participating artist will draw a strip, featuring his, hers or its (this is webcomic artists we are talking about) characters, as well as as many of the other artists' characters (or at least characters from as many other strips) as possible! The strip will then be posted at the artist's site at the day of Halloween, either as a filler-strip, canon-strip or something more exclusive, some might just settle for a forum-posted drawing…

However, for inventive artists, the occasion might even turn out to take the form as a minor plotline, or… a collective crossover between a whole set of comics in a joined storyline leading up to the day of Halloween? The possibilities are many and can and will be taken up in the forums as the day approaches!

As the stories proceeds, leading up to Halloween, a site will be set up for the Halloween Caper which will update as often as possible with links to all the participating comics which has updated since last time, and when Halloween of the year is history, the will still celebrate and immortalize the event for the entire world by linking and keeping the strips that may disappear from their original sites over the passage of time.

The essence of it all is for everybody, artist and readers alike, to have fun! To try ones skill at drawing others characters and to see them interact!

… besides that, it's also a great way to promote ones own comic! ;-)

———————————————————————-

This year will be the FOURTH Caper in a row (check out 2006,2007 and 2008)

During the month of February there will be workedon finfing the right place to host this year's Caper… the previous years the Caper took characters to the town of Shelterville in the Old Wild West, Disneyland orbiting a distant planet in the far future and the Zombie-besieged Notimporton Mall… only the Gods may know where it will take place this year!

If you want to take part in determing where the Caper shall take place (not matter if you plan on participating or not), the talkings are talking place over at the Dragonboard, in the 2009 Caper's own forum or, to be more precise, this thread.
Off course, if you don't feel like going all the way over there, any suggestions posted in the thread here will be transferred to there and added to the poll for the site-placement that will be set up come 1st of March.

When first the final hosting place has been determined, it will be time to sign up and start planning!
… more on the latter later :wink:

Thanks for your cooperation! Hope to see you all at the Caper!

- Hogan

Hogan
Hogan
Posted at

Now we have come so far that its time to look at the suggestions so far and make a choice about where to host the Cameo Caper 2009.

A poll has been put together on the Forum of the Caper with the most popular suggestions, it will run until the end of April, after which the winning choice will be made into a setting build from the basic idea the suggestion provides… and THEN the signing up and planning can begin!!

… meaning that you so far don't have to sign up for anything… yet. Vote, argue and discuss, not before the final choice has been made you will be held up to anything

The voting takes place on the Caper's Forum here, and for those who do not want to sign up in the forum in order to vote, its possible to "mail-vote" by mailing or PM'ing your choice to your's sincerely.
Also, the options for voting is for everyone, no matter if you consider participating or not…

- Hogan

Hogan
Hogan
Posted at

As already mentioned, the location for the Caper has now been chosen my a majority of the voters. A setting has been given a basic layout, and the Caper itself is open for the signing up of participating comics!

Here's the official invitation:

————————————
Greetings travellers from near and afar!

My name is Alfred Doletti and I am the last in line of an old family which goes far back in the past.

I have just recently returned from travels afar to take over our old family holdings of Castle Overlook, an ancient castle situated in the mountains which has been a part of our family for generations. It's original history is lost to the mists of time, but my family have build and expanded the castle for generations until it is now a huge complex, at the size of a fortress and a sight to behold, as well as a storehouse for legends and stories.

The castle have now been closed, abandoned and unused for al least 50 years, but now I'm ready to move in and take over my family holding for good and restore it to its former glory.

To celebrate the return of the Doletti family to castle Overlook, I will hereby invite you my dear reader, and whoever you want to bring, to spend some time with me at the castle, to meet people from afar and beyond, and to have one hell of a party, one that will bring forth the true castle in all its majesty!

Sincerely, yours

Alfred Doletti, Castle Overlook

————————————

Does this invitation sound intriguing to you? If you are not convinced to answer it yet, take a look at the Setting of Castle Overlook to get a more in depth description of your host, the castle and the surroundings, the place chosen for this year's caper.

When finally you, after having checked what's in store for you and your characters, decide to join the Halloween Cameo Caper 2008, go and make a New Thread in the Caper's Forum, titled with your comic's name, in which you accept the abovementioned invitation and present yourself, your comic and, most important, the characters who you would like to send for participation, as well as a few links of reference for them (cast page, strips, drawings etc.). This way other artists will get a good idea of what they look like and has easy references at hand for when they are going to add to their Halloween strips!

Hope to see you at Overlook around this Halloween!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.