Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

HELP!

Cindermain
Cindermain
Posted at

Hey.

I need a new host for my Whovian Observer site, and have NO idea where to begin. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to stay with DD, and will go with DD when it eventually comes back (hopehope). But until then…I need a host.

Any good hosts anyone can recommend?

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

Hey look! We're getting our first PHP bot spam!

You guys DID remember to lock this forum out of searches, right? You may want to disable guest posting.

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

2 days old and our first milestone in the form of botspam.

It's like we're whole again.

Cindermain
Cindermain
Posted at

*sniff*

It's almost like home… :( :cry:

:P

But really, to get back to me for a second, can anyone help? :? :lol:

tigermon
tigermon
Posted at

I found a great site for comic hosting! it's called:
http://www.smackjeeves.com
It's a free web comic hosting site and you get to customise everything about your site including add pages too.

Anonymous
Anonymous
Posted at

Okay, but are there any sites that allow comments on each page? I loved the feedback and advice that was part of the old duck - it wouldn't be as fun to just post a page and get an impersonal vote. I want input! I want to be criticized on each page! *sniff sniff* Alas.

So yeah, do any webcomic sites have comments and a simplified basic design for us noncomputer smart morons?

wildcard9
wildcard9
Posted at

I need a new host for my Whovian Observer site, and have NO idea where to begin.

Find something quickly, the Xmas Special is almost here!! You have to comment on it!! This Drunk Duck problem has to be a plot by The Master to keep The Whovian Observer offline. :-)

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

www.smackjeeves.com

This site pretty much has everything DD has, even the rating and comments system, but ratings are all anynamous.

Darkness
Darkness
Posted at

Has no one Herd of KeenSpot.

Keen spot is a free Comic hosting service, much like Drunk Duck was only at present smaller.

:evil:

Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

I think Cindermain used to use keenspace for Cinderblock. Maybe he just doesn't want to use it, or doesn't have the time to wait for them to create an account for him?

Cindermain
Cindermain
Posted at

Heya Ronson! Long time no see! Liked your interview on NightGig, btw!

And you're the closest to being right, in this case. It took about 3 months for them to create my Cinderblock site for me…and I have had numerous issues with them in that time. It wasn't that nice a situation…if they've changed, I may try again. Then again, I haven't updated Cinderblock ina while and they may rule against me joining.

Plus, I didn't like the way many KeenSpotters would look down on KeenSpacers. Such elitism is uncalled for, and soured me on the place.

I'm hurrying WildCard9! And I personally think the Master would help KEEP me making strips…he certainly isn't getting any love from the current series. :cry:

Anonymous
Anonymous
Posted at

I never noticed the elitism before. was it in the forums or something cause i haven't even signed up for the forums yet :p

It was in the Keenspot forums.

Personally, I never frequented them, and was content to simply do my strip and post in the Keenspace forums. There were plenty of good people there, and we had a good community like DrunkDuck. Sure, most everyone wanted to move up to the 'Big Leagues' at Keenspot…it was a goal. So some people decided to post on the Keenspot forum plugging their strips.

I later heard some people came back after many of the Keenspot creators basically TRASHED their work and told them to give up. They posted about their experiences, but the Admins had REMOVED THEIR POSTS. I distinctly remember some rather rude comments about Keenspace creators and the quality of their work coming from the creator of Sinfest in particular.

Plus, I knew a creator who moved to Keenspot…he isn't making strips anymore, and his treatment at their hands is one of the main reasons why.

You should really take a gander at this article;

http://www.comixpedia.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1507&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

I really think THIS part is the most informative;

KEENSPACE

Keenspacers' loyalty doesn't seem to have returned since 2002. Last year saw a brief but furious debate (though little evidence of it remains online) about adult webcomic Sexy Losers and its artist's desire to advance from Keenspace to Keenspot. Then and other times, Keenspacers have accused Keenspot of elitism.

Keenspace recently resolved a long and terrible bout of hosting problems. Though it perseveres and Bleuel continues to work on it, it hasn't evolved much since its inception. The new Keenspot, by comparison, makes it look pretty disheveled in both looks and organization, like an embarrassing relative everyone hopes won't make it to Thanksgiving dinner.

At one point Keenspace used to serve as an unofficial "farming ground" for Keenspot, but many of Keenspot's recent acquisitions have come from outside "the Keen family". With webcomics hosting becoming more competitive and most others charging for their service, it remains to be seen whether Keenspace will remain, and whether it will remain free.

Yet Keenspace as it is still fulfills a need. Too many talented webcartoonists avoid spending any money online, no matter what the reason, at least until they're established. Without Keenspace, many of them would not be webcartoonists, and the art form owes it for that.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.