Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Freegurt
Freegurt
Posted at

All right, see where I live, I'm just a hop, skip and a jump away from the Air Force Base. And you know what that means: Jets. Lots and lots of jets go by regularly about every day. But even though they're loud and occasionally rumble my house a bit, I don't exactly notice them unless I'm actively looking for them. Truth be told, I like the sound of them ,none of the whole 'that's the sound of freedoms son' but just because I think jets are awesome and therefore, their sounds are awesome (plus, I get to watch the Thunderbirds for free from my back yard).

Do you fellow inebriated fowl have anything like that where you live? Be it the cats in the back that screech at the moon, or the local volcano that rumbles, portending to your close doom. Anything at all.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

Oh, cats, eh? I have a colony of about thirty feral cats (and counting- they keep breeding) that live on my block. You can imagine the smell. And they were screaming earlier tonight. I wish they would… uh, disappear. :mad:

But I also hear the fog horns from the boats on the river, and the trains, which is kinda cool.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

Wait, why are you typing like that…? hmmm

Well ah jist have mah farm here hyuk, on sum nights i 'kin hear the cyotes howlin', bad news ya'know. Most common sound fo' folks round here is da quails every mornin', and the vocational great horned owl will twoot if yer' in matin' territory.
Yeeupp it's the simple life *pushes down green trucker hat and chews on straw*

But seriously it's mostly annoying birds like ravens and quail. Also my uncle is a violinist so on cool nights he'll practice outside and i listen through my window. We have a huge toad invasion during the rain but they don't make noise i can hear.

I tried to catch a toad when i was a kid and a huge projectile of piss squirted from it(like it took me a minute to realize what just happened)

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I have a little sister…she makes a lot of noise.

Other than that, the highway is about half a block from my house but I don't really notice the noise unless there's an ambulance or a crash or something nearby.

The only really annoying thing about where I live is that there's a really sketchy bar a few blocks away, so if I go out to the highway there are some unsavoury characters sometimes.

Posted at

Birds outside the window = good thing
cats making noise = never bothered me
no jets flying overhead (other than some larger airplanes passing over my city but they're too high to make any noise) but we do hear the hospital's helicopter from time to time = not loud enough to bother me

so far so good

barking dogs = irritate the hell out of me.

As for trains? IF the wind is right, I can hear faint echo of the train horns sometimes at night. Very nice, especially considering that train tracks are pretty far from where I live :D

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

The sound of ocean waves crashing is very loud on humid nights.
Apart from that bird song is the main noise I notice. The Ravens used to be extremely loud and annoying, but they've gone now for some reason. Kookaburras invaded for a while and their cackling would be very loud and constant, but there's less of them now as well.
Rainbow lorikeets are pretty constant. They have zillions of sounds from loud deafening raucous screeches to rusty breathless rasps, to beautiful whistles. Corellas fly overhead in great flocks and hoot out their calls. Wattle birds bark, cluck, squawk and whistle. Doves coo and coo and cooooooooooo. Butcher birds have the most beautiful calls. Willy Wagtails chitter angrily. Owls hoot and hoot and hoot all night long. Bats screech at night…
Oh, and the magpies used to start up every night at 3:30 am on the dot! They're not around like they used to be at the moment though fortunately. :)

In summer there's the cicadas and crickets, occasionally a frog or two, all at night. And in the day there's the sound of single engine aeroplanes as the wankers flying them sight see over the coast. HATE that sound. Plus the thut thut of rescue and TV helicopters during the day, a police helicopter at night, and the heavy thud thud of the SAS blackhawk helicopters at any time they please.
There used to be the sound of artillery in some summer nights as well coming from the SAS base to the north, which they would always deny when asked about it.

Posted at

local volcano that rumbles, portending the your close doom.
That.

In Iceland we have a big eruption on a 5 year average. Fortunately the highlands are uninhabitable and thus people live only around the coastlines. The last big eruption that threatened a settlement was in the 70s. It's also the only documented case of man fighting a volcano and wining. Now that's what I call being a stubborn bastard. ;)

Dr.Wikipedia can tell you all about it.

At the moment there's allot of attention being paid to the Reykjanes peninsula because there's been allot of seismic activity there as of late. It also happens to be the most populated area in the country, housing the capital which contains 2/3 of the population.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

If you like trains and the sounds of artillery guns going off, this place is great. (Army base)

Posted at

I live right in front of a mental clinic, so they put up a bunch of huge trees and bushes to separate the neighborhood from the crazy peoples… But, that means we have a lot of wildlife. In fact, a doe and her babies live directly in my backyard and cause the motion sensor lights to go off like crazy at night. Also, cicadas. Oh, God, the cicadas… They're worse this year than ever. There must be a surplus in their population because it's damn noisy outside!

Posted at

skunks and raccons live near the backyard, and get at the cat's food. the skunks also fight a lot…with predictable results.

also, the parents next door are abusive! and cops! so that's great. they also fancy themselves the greatest rock band that never made it.

they suck.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

skunks and raccons live near the backyard, and get at the cat's food. the skunks also fight a lot…with predictable results.

also, the parents next door are abusive! and cops! so that's great. they also fancy themselves the greatest rock band that never made it.
Heh! That reminds me; there's a rat that lives outside near where I feed my cat. I don't mind it living hidden where it does, but every time I got to feed my cat at night the rat rustles about loudly and squeaks angrily at us.

And there used to be a drummer behind me. 'Nuff said -_-

Chernobog
Chernobog
Posted at

I live on a Main Street. Every irritating chav, Harley at 11pm+ with the modified louder tail pipe, and fratboy driving by passes along here. It's a conga line of human scum.

Peipei
Peipei
Posted at

I've got an entire pack of coyotes up in the hills behind my house. They howl every single night around midnight, it's pretty spooky around Halloween time xD. But gosh, they are cool :3. I feel like i'm out camping or something xD. They bring life to our home, they're like the second pets or something :p.

gullas
gullas
Posted at

I live fairly close to the ocean, so even on a pretty calm day I can hear the rumbling and sounds of the sea. Not so smooth or soothing, more like you always feel so small compared to Njörd's good day :P

Also bunch of small birds in the trees around in the summer. Nice pitched sounds :)

And there used to be a drummer behind me. 'Nuff said -_-

Well, 2 guitar players(including me) and one drummer in my home, but my neigbours dont' seem to mind much :) as far as I can tell >:)

BffSatan
BffSatan
Posted at

I have some neighbors who party too much and with too loud techno music. Sometimes when it's late and they're at it I just get down to the beat rather than sleep because I'm cool.

lba
lba
Posted at

Since I live in an apartment I hear pretty much every little detail of my neighbors lives. I can even smell when they're cooking, smoking or doing whatever if my windows are open. I usually don't mind, because I'm loud with my airbrush compressor running. If they get too noisy with the intimate noises, I usually just pound on the wall or their door and it stops.

Oh, cats, eh? I have a colony of about thirty feral cats (and counting- they keep breeding) that live on my block. You can imagine the smell. And they were screaming earlier tonight. I wish they would… uh, disappear.

But I also hear the fog horns from the boats on the river, and the trains, which is kinda cool.
One of my coworkers used to have a problem like that. He lived a bit out in the country though, so he shot a few of them. The rest just disappeared after the first couple he killed. ( And before anyone tells me how cruel that is, let me point out that feral cats can get to be seriously dangerous to people and other animals if they get too wild. )

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

feral cats can get to be seriously dangerous to people and other animals if they get too wild.
So they should. People suck. I wish him bad. :P

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

New Jersey; the crossroads and landing glide path for three major airports and the HQ for several major corporations and on the flightline to NYC, where all the movers and shakers have to fly using corporate helicopters at low altitude.

Helicopters do not fly; they beat the air into submission. Modern Military helicopters are relatively quiet (Apaches, Blackhawks etc) but corporate choppers? They beat the air into submission and the sound resonates into your very soul. Plus in NJ someone is always running a leaf blower and a lawn mower and in the suburbs there is always the whine of power tools. Always until 6PM and the day ends with the execs going home and the motorcycles and Tuner cars start their chase on the highway.

I'd prefer the sound of artillery.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

feral cats can get to be seriously dangerous to people and other animals if they get too wild.
So they should. People suck. I wish him bad. :P
Think about rabies, and other diseases that can be transmitted to me and my pets. They get into garbage and strew it all over. They also attack people's pet cats, and get into our yards. Myself and a couple other neighbors have smaller dogs who couldn't stand up to the cats. Plus they live on the brink of starvation, fight and kill each other, and can't have happy lives.

While I don't advocate killing them (I wouldn't do it myself, nor would I call Animal COntrol to come and get them) they can become a health hazard and a danger to other small pets. If it wasn't so expensive, I would get the SPCA traps and bring them in to be spayed. The lifespan of a feral cat is two years or less, so if I could fix enough of them, the population would be more under control in time. Unfortunately like I said, it's $35 per cat here, plus the rental of the traps. :(

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Think about rabies, and other diseases that can be transmitted to me and my pets.
I don't think they'd live long enough to transmit rabies very far. I don't think cats are very tolerant of that particular virus. Stuff like FAIDS (and other things) is a bigger problem.
I'm surprised that you don't have a council office or something similar that would do that themselves? o_O
That's what'd happen here or in Britain (I'm pretty sure).
Modern Military helicopters are relatively quiet
You say Blackhawks are quiet? …I dunno man… Not even relatively. It's a much lower pitch certainly, but it still carries.
That's one of the only differences I notice. All the other models are higher pitched and seem to beat at a faster rate. The Blackhawks are slower and much "heavier" sounding.

lba
lba
Posted at

While I don't advocate killing them (and wouldn't do it myself) they can become a health hazard and a danger to other small pets. If it wasn't so expensive, I would get the SPCA traps and bring them in to be spayed. The lifespan of a feral cat is two years or less, so if I could fix enough of them, the population would be more under control in time. Unfortunately like I said, it's $35 per cat here, plus the rental of the traps. :(

You can get live traps from a lot of rental stores for about $20 a week. I know a lot of folks around here will trap them, and then either take them far enough away that they can't get back and release them, or they'll take them to a vet or the humane society which at least around me, the humane society will take them in for free for a couple weeks under the right circumstances.

Posted at

I live in a Industrialized urban area, and roosters have adapted to people's lifestyles, they sing right at 1:00 and 3:00 Am, the turn shifts for most factories around here.

*Edit*

Ohh, and the roosters were brought here by farmers who lost their crops and came to the city looking for job

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

You say Blackhawks are quiet? …I dunno man… Not even relatively. It's a much lower pitch certainly, but it still carries.
That's one of the only differences I notice. All the other models are higher pitched and seem to beat at a faster rate. The Blackhawks are slower and much "heavier" sounding.

Compared to Hueys, Blackhawks are nearly silent. (Nighthawks and Seahawks especially) Kiowas and Cayuses are near silent (they can sneak up on you), Chinooks are NOISY and drown out everything.

Police and Coast Guard choppers are quiet at range. But I love the noise a vintage aircraft piston engine makes, even a four engine bomber, and nothing beats the distinctive cough of a WWII Merlin engine.

Then there are B-52s. You will not hear anything else except that rumble for hours after a close encounter with one of those.
Real conversation:
"Hey what's that rumble? The sky's clear. WTF is that?"
"IT'S HUGE!"
Enter Low and slow BUFF. (Big Ugly flying F***er)
"The pilot is smiling at me, he's a major and he has blue eyes."

Posted at

There are a lot of horses by my house, and every couple of weeks one or two of them gets loose and wanders into our front yard. Some of them are kept by less-than-savory people, and I think they break out just out of hunger.

Opening your curtain at 12 AM to see a skeletal horse in front of your window is a hard thing to forget.

dime360
dime360
Posted at

I don't really remember the home I grew up in mostly because I left it almost 12 years ago and haven't been back since but I do oddly remember this problem in our neighborhood with Hesidic Jews, it wasn't their religion or anything but they always went to temple in the wee hours of the morning and late at night and on the weekends they always walked to temple because they weren't allowed to drive or something. It was so annoying driving anywhere because they were all over the road and always wearing full black, I was always worried that I would run one of them over.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.