Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

How Drunk Duck saved my life

Posted at

I'm a retired civil servant, (i.e. I used to work for the government) (retired on health grounds…I'm not that old!) and a recovering alcoholic and clinical depressive (phew!) but I haven't touched alcohol since 2001 so I'm doing O.K.
I trained as a graphic designer in my teens which in the old days meant setting type, pasting art and stats and simple illustration, i.e. technical drawings of fridges cookers etc which were usually traced off on a light-box for speed, no real art flair required. How I ended up at a government office is a long story so I'll spare you that one.
One day I innocently clicked the link to Drunk Duck to view my fave bands' (KISS) new web comic, read it and then realized that maybe I could try making a comic story myself! I'd always been a comic-book fan but didn't think I was good enough to start a book myself, but now with Drunk Duck I had a perfect set up to try and experiment. No one gets burned if I fail miserably and there are people willing to give advice without a fee!
So thank you KISS and thank you Drunk Duck for helping me to do something creative instead of drowning in depression…it still affects me, slows me down but now I have something to aim for…finishing the first 20 page arc.
If you have time look me up on myspace http://www.myspace.com/oversear, I'm always on the look out for friends that read comics, I can't get out to conventions due to my depressive condition.
Thanks for reading.

Posted at

Thank you Used Books and Lord Shplane, it's nice to know you're out there and very encouraging for me to hear from you.
Peace.

Dark Clown
Dark Clown
Posted at

Welcome, if you want something to drink, why not try Cold Hot Cola?

Posted at

Hi, Andy.

I'm Lynn. I'm a retired teacher, (Also, health reasons…I went "sack of hammers." But, I'm much better now. ) My parents are alcoholics, so I appreciate any attempt to hold that monster at bay. I've been told I'm "clinically depressive," but choose not to medicate myself, traditionally.

I have no graphic design training, my husband is the artist, I just dabble at bein' a writer. (Who doesn't like KISS?) Glad you decided to check Drunk Duck out, I think you'll love it…Lots to do and lots of great people.

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

Welcome to DrunkDuck!

Cool avatar.

Posted at

Hi, Andy.

I'm Lynn. I'm a retired teacher, (Also, health reasons…I went "sack of hammers." But, I'm much better now. ) My parents are alcoholics, so I appreciate any attempt to hold that monster at bay. I've been told I'm "clinically depressive," but choose not to medicate myself, traditionally.

I have no graphic design training, my husband is the artist, I just dabble at bein' a writer. (Who doesn't like KISS?) Glad you decided to check Drunk Duck out, I think you'll love it…Lots to do and lots of great people.

Thanks for your response. I'm really impressed that you made it through your early years in view of your parents condition. I'm lucky in that I have no dependents but I made those people who cared about me go through hell, it may be impossible to make amends but I try. I was lucky also in that my therapy was excellent and comprehensive, they treated both the depressive illness and alcoholism holistically using 'Dialectical Behavioural Therapy'. It lasted seven years in total, I also had a one to one art therapist who dealt with an additional trauma condition. This was all accessed through the U.K. National Health Service which gets a lot of bad press here, but it was invaluable to me.
D.B.T. may be of help to you too. I can get details for you if you wish. Just send me a PQ!

Posted at

Thanks! I think I tried every soft drink in existence while I was going through detox!
I generally stick to various teas now or if I'm at a social occasion I get a brand of sparkling fruit juice. To be honest it's not really a problem now as everyone knows I have a problem with alcohol, I have to make it clear because my liver is shot and alcohol could kill me but I have a better time without it anyway! Ha ha, seven years ago I wouldn't ever have believed I could say that!

Posted at

Welcome to DrunkDuck!

Cool avatar.

Thanks! I found the photo on the N.A.S.A web site, they have lots of royalty free photos you can download. The font is a free one from comicraft or blambot…one of the big lettering studios.
Peace…

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

Thanks! I think I tried every soft drink in existence while I was going through detox!
I generally stick to various teas now or if I'm at a social occasion I get a brand of sparkling fruit juice. To be honest it's not really a problem now as everyone knows I have a problem with alcohol, I have to make it clear because my liver is shot and alcohol could kill me but I have a better time without it anyway! Ha ha, seven years ago I wouldn't ever have believed I could say that!
Noez! Don't take it! It's spam-flavored!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.