Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

In Memory of Robert Horace Machia

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

So the President of the firehouse and Fire Police cheif died and his memorial was today. i didnt know him well myself aside from a few times i got to meet him when i was just joining the R.V.F.D. because i had to talk to him first. but he passed away a few weeks ago and was burried in Arlington Cemetary. but i gotta say, just by seeing how many people showed up for him and from how many different walks of life,he was an insperation to not just me but many.

He served in Vietnam once and then volunteered again for a second term,doing 30 jumps.He had served in the Special ops as a Spec 5, was airbourne qualified and recieved the Purple Heart. in the second term he was shot in the head, giving him a limp and making one arm virtually useless.he had a family and became a represenative of the Va, talking to veterans,widows and others for 33 years. he had a reputation for saying what needed to be said and having an iron will about it, but having "just enough iresponability to be fun".

Bob succame to cancer on sept.27th,2009, aging to 63 years old.

He died the morning i recieved my fire fighting gear and beeper. he lived across from me and you could hear his pager going off in the midle of the night. now mine will. i think about that and hope that i'll make him proud and regret i didnt get to know him better.

anyways, i wrote this becuase i just felt it was the least i could do. you never know the impact your words and actions will have on those you do and dont know. i dont need anyone to reply to this cuz i dont know if there's a whole lot to say. i just wanted to say it is all.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

Wow, you're firefighter now. :-o

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

Wow, you're firefighter now. :-o

an externa one for now yeah. i gotta get through my school which im thinking will start next semester,then i can run into as many burning buildings as i want!

Gillespie
Gillespie
Posted at

That's too bad. The good people don't seem to live long.

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

well it woulda been nice to have him around a little longer,but the way i look at it is this: if he'd never have existed, would the world have been better or worse? worse i think. he's done his duty.thank you for your condolences.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.