Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
lothar
lothar
Posted at

i went to go use the toilet and i can see my air coming out of my mouth. !
then my cats water in his bowl frize solid.
lucky i have an electronic heater next to my desk.

anyone else getting griefed by the winter ???

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

If only we could trade degrees… It's hot over here! Just opening the door I get pushed back in by a big wall of pure heat!!! And I'm still burning with my air conditioner at full blast!!! O_O

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

Thats all part of climate change.

We should pay homage to his holiness, Al Gore to stop it.

Posted at

Um…Well, I trust your remark about your cat's water is just a joke.

And tell me about it! 2 years of drought, hottest summer in 50 years…then boom, winter finally hits and I'm packing on 2 sweaters at a time. The new place I've moved to hasn't had the heater maintained in awhile, so we're relying on small space heaters…not too effective. I hate cold. I truly. Hate. Cold.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I hate cold. I truly. Hate. Cold.
The good thing about the cold though is that warming up isn't too hard. Sometimes you have a looooong, looong way to get warm, but with blankets, hot food, and exercise you'll eventually get there in the end.

Here it's blisteringly hot. And the thing about heat is that if it keeps going up, its not so easy to cool down… Stuff like air-conditioning is the only easy way. When it's really hot, swimming and icecream doesn't do much.

And I hate air-conditioning. -_-

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

There's a blanket of snow on the ground in London: that hasn't happened here in December since I don't know when. It's not that cold though. The best way to combat the cold is to swallow your pride, put on some ridiculous thermal underwear and stuff a flask of whisky down your pants, but that's not acceptible when you're young, so suck it up!

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

it's been in the negatives here….and my wife has been keeping the house ridiculously warm….actually i think yesterday it got up to 22*….

we had a very cool summer, so i'm surprised it's not colder here.

Posted at

I like the cold, if it's a dry outdoorsy kind. It's a refreshing change from the chilly damp that pervades here most of the rest of the year.

It snowed yesterday, I started the afternoon in Newcastle and the entire train journey home there was snow on the ground. My car said it was -1 outside by the time I got home.

Of course my water boiler's pilot light hadn't caught or something while I was away, so my house was all cold when I got back. I was pretty tired of the cold at that point. 13 degrees WAS an improvement over -1, but still… once I restarted the boiler I sat in a hot bath for like an hour til the house was warmer.

amanda
amanda
Posted at

I'm a big fan of cold weather (so why I live in Texas is beyond me). For Texas in December, it's cold - but it's still in the 50s and sunny and HUMID, so it doesn't count yet.

I've seen actual snow that sticks to the ground three times in my entire life. Kinda jealous of some of you guys.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Yeah cold doesn't bother me as much. Also who doesn't love throwing balls of snow (And maybe a lump of ice) in the faces of their friends?
(The correct answer to my rhetorical question is no one!)

But it isn't so cold that it's sub zero in my house. Lothar, do you live in like…A straw hut? o_O

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

Lothar, do you live in like…A straw hut? o_O

Actually that's a very good point: is the cats bowl inside? Is the toilet outside? Can you give us a rough floorplan of the premises, marking it's proximaty to essential services? It needn't be to scale.

elektro
elektro
Posted at

We don't have a furnace because we can't afford to fix the damn thing, so we're relying on space heaters as well. Unfortunately, the wiring in this place is not designed to handle so much electricity, so the breaker constantly blows. I freakin' hate winter.

Posted at

The weather here just sucks for the most part. If it's not cold enough to get frostbite from standing outside for a few minutes not wearing quite enough thick winter clothes, then it's warm to melt the snow a little so that the whole mess refreezes into a ridiculously slick ice sheet overnight.

And it's always windy. I normally don't mind the wind, but in winter it's always a very cold wind that drops the temperature several degrees and goes right through any clothing that has the gall to be woven.

It's very nice to come back inside, wrap yourself up in a blanket and have a cup of hot chocolate when it's this cold, though. You just don't get that feeling when it's warm out.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Sit in the snow and blowing ice and say to yourself "I will never feel warm again!" Been there, done that.

You're cold? Try changing a tire on the highway in a foot of snow. Layer and dress for the weather and stop bitching because all the energy you waste bitching could be used to keep yourself warm.

Now could I borrow your icepick to break up my coffee?

If you're cold watch movies like Scott of the Antarctic, Battleground, The Crossing, the Bastogne episode of Band of Brothers, War and Peace (the retreat from Moscow parts), Attack and Retreat and documentaries on Valley Forge and Napoleon's retreat from Moscow and realize how fortunate you are.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

oh, i layer !!!

my cats water froze cuz he's realy a stray that lives in an old stereo on my porch and fites with all the other cats around. and the toilet is in the part of the house that has no heat but it has an electric toilet seat that keeps it warm

but on the positive side
beer is always cold and i can store meat and ice cream in the yard

NickGuy
NickGuy
Posted at

man you guys are a bunch of bitches. partying in the cold is epic. get a grill going outside and everyone brightens up. put beer bottles and cans in a snowdrift, its tastes much better than a cooler or fridge.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

man you guys are a bunch of bitches. partying in the cold is epic. get a grill going outside and everyone brightens up. put beer bottles and cans in a snowdrift, its tastes much better than a cooler or fridge.

55 gallon drum cut in half. It's big and can fit several racks of ribs, large steaks and about 20 hambergers and keeps those who whines about it being cold warm.

Or the Old Army tanker way: Pack the ice and snow into the grenade launcher or the grenade box on the AFV for the cans and bottles and roast the food by the personal heater exhaust or on the engine deck of an M1.

Posted at

If I had to choose between being too cold or too hot, I'd probably pick the cold every time. I hate sweating if it's not being accompanied by exercising.

It was pretty cold yesterday. -10°C (14°F) and very windy on top of that. It didn't help that there was moisture in the air too. That's normally as cold as it gets where I live. At least it's warmer today, only -5°C (23°F).

ksteak
ksteak
Posted at

Replace the cats water bowl with vodka. That's that problem solved.

imshard
imshard
Posted at

Oy I hate the cold. Space heaters trip my circuit breakers (50 year old house wiring), until I have to replace them. Ice storms always make everything slick and hazardous. I inevitably lose either a lot of branches or entire trees. People can't drive to save themselves in this state and cold weather makes it worse. All my car accidents have been in the winter. Plus sweaters make me itchy, and I always end up smelling sweaty.

Ironically its my favorite season since its not 115 and humid.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Plus sweaters make me itchy, and I always end up smelling sweaty.
Lucky you're not wearing a jumper… It'd make you feel jumpy. :(

lba
lba
Posted at

I love skiing through a couple feet of deep snow to get around. It's faster than walking, smoother and way more fun. Normal temperatures in northern Michigan and Wisconsin where I spend most of my time are usually around 10 degrees Fahrenheit so it's not ungodly cold but it's cold. So far in my experience, there's a good reason why such a number of the best cold-weather outfitters like Carhartt are based in the Midwest. I find it hilarious that in my current town you'll see doctors and concrete masons dressed in exactly the same cold weather gear when everywhere else the rich folks usually love wearing totally impractical clothing during the winter.

Now if we could just improve the lack of snow these past few years. I miss 16 ft deep snow drifts.

Posted at

…cold weather…in the 50s…
I had forgotten that you guys don't use Celsius.

50 degrees celsius would be ridiculous.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.