Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

It's time to find out who will receive the honor of running Mafia XI :3

As the game has progressed we've developed few rules for the applicants to follow.

Veteran players only. The GM needs to posses a fair understanding on how the game runs. Therefore we require that the applicant has played the game at least twice

No encore performance. As the current GM, it is up to me to pass the title to someone new. Once you're done running a game, you will also be expected to give someone else a chance. Don't start a new game. Instead you will run an election like this one where we pick a new GM. Also, you can't be a candidate yourself. This will ensure that we get new blood into the game and that the rules are regularly picked at from a different perspective. GMs from previous games are free to run again and are encouraged to do so. Who knows? If they were good enough, people will flock to play their game again.

Explain your goal. What do you plan to do as the new GM? Are you going to run a standard Mafia game? If so, will you change the rules/roles and/or introduce new ones? Are you perhaps gonna play a game with a different theme? Reverse Mafia perhaps or maybe zombie apocalypse? If so explain the new structure of the game. Changing the formula is OK. It happens in every game. Just be careful not to introduce a change so radical that could scare people away from voting you. You can discuss rule changes and different themes here to see if people would like it.

Pick a schedule and stick with it It is important that the GM is punctual in maintaining the game. Do you plan to post narrations every 24 hours at a specific hour? Make sure that you'll be here to on time to do so. If something comes up that would force you to be early or late, post a warning to let people know with an explanation. It's encouraged that you run the game using GMT timezone schedule since the players hail from all over the world spanning different time zones and a GMT conversion table is the easiest one for everyone to access. If you plan on using a different time zone schedule like an American one, Make sure you advertise it well and post an appropriate conversion table for everyone to access.
An example of a GMT conversion table:

Show us your stuff The GM is expected to write narrations to explain what's going on throughout the game. A good writer can make the game come alive and encourage players to come back to read what's going on. Show us your stuff and create a scenario where YOU(the applicant) kill ME (Crocty). In this narration it is important that you do not directly tell us that it was you who committed the crime but instead leave a clue that's based on your name, avatar, signature, profile, comic(if you have any), something that can link you to the murder. Try making a link to you that can be figured out with some research while at the same time not blatantly obvious. You can throw in red herrings but please refer from directly connecting the herrings to innocents. Make them instead vague things that could point at many people. Finally, be creative, funny, dramatic, brutal, serious, descriptive, vague, long winded or short and to the point. Pick the style you feel comfortable with and like to use. Impress us with what you can do. At the end of the narration post an explanation that shows people how the clues link to you so that we can understand your logic.

I'll be posting the applicants sample narrations here for people to quickly read through. Once we have enough applications I will announce when it's time to vote for your favorite GM. Applicants do not need to vote since it's given that they'll be voting for themselves. Although if they wish to vote for someone else, they can do so.

Here is Salsa's

The Flying Green Monkey was strolling home singing bawdy tunes after a few tankards of lager at the tavern.
"'Twas such a lovely night before you came along with your vulgarity," said a figure with hooded eyes.
"I hazsh no idear wuzsh you aretalking aboot," Monkey replied.
"This village could use one less idiot, I suppose," the figure replied as he pulled a sword with a dragon's head carved into the pommel.
"Wuzsh you gonna do wish tha' shtick?"
A wicked grin curled on the figure's half seen face as it thrust the sword into Monkey's gut.
"This is a sword, not a stick my victim."
Monkey's face was that of frozen terror and surprise as his life blood slowly drained from the wound. He fell to the ground as his attacker howled with laughter. He took a hat and dropped it on monkey's face as he left still laughing.

The Flying Green Monkey the serf is, alas, dead.
[spoiler=Clues] 1. hooded eyes refer to my avatar.
2. dragon's head refers to the title of one of my comics, Dragon Blood.
3. "This is a sword…" refers to this
seriously, the P-51 is not a jet,
in my profile.
4.Half seen face refers to my avatar again.
5. Howling and monkey's surpised face refer to the last panel of the first page of Dragon Blood.
6. hat=> avatar again.
7. wordy narrative is a parallel to my wordy profile.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=red herrings]
1. the sword could point to Hak, hark, or anyone with a fantasy comic.
2. laughter, not sure who it would point to , but I am pretty sure someone would think it's a clue, especially since it has been repeated twice in the narrative.
3. The hat could point to TJ, crocty, Monkey(if he wasn't the one who died), and me.
[/spoiler]

and heres PP's

The night sky was gloomy. The clouds lingered on like they had no other place to go. Every once in a while though, they gave way to allow the moon to shine through. It was precisely these moments that TheFlyingGreenMonkey was waiting for. Each time he saw a glimpse of that glowing orb he became exhilarated. It was as if the sight of it sent a charge through his systems waking up all of his senses. He had only been embraced by the werewolves two days ago but already did he feel like that he knew no other way of life.

"I never understood this damn fascination at the moon that your kind has." Spoke a voice not far from him.
On the adjacent rooftop, stood a tall and pale figure, staring at him with a bemused smile. TFGM was not pleased by this interruption. This was his territory. He had claimed it. With a short gnarl and a puffed up back, he displayed his displeasure. Amused by this, the vampire jumps over to his rooftop and speaks again.
"Oh so this town is not big enough for the both of us, you say? I could tell you few stories about how often I faced someone who's made that claim. But I rather show you how these stories end." With those words he pulls out his silver dagger and charges the wolf.

TFGM leaps to get out of the way in time to save himself from the charge but receives a cut to his tail. The pain he receives from that wound sets fire to his blood. This hurt far more then it should have. I guess the myth about the silver was true, after all. Angry, he turns around and attempts to go for the throat of the undead abomination. With a subtle and graceful move the vampire easily dodges the attack and stabs TFGM in his torso.

The pain! The pain is too much to bear. He must get away. He must move. But he isn't moving. His senses are overwhelmed. He's too traumatized to move.
"Hurts, Doesn't it?" The vampire boasts.
"My master…. will come for you." TFGM snarl's back at him.
"Why I suppose you're right, but that is a story for another time." Says the Vampire before jabbing the dagger up his skull through the underside of his snout.

TheFlyingGreenMonkey the Werewolf is dead.
[spoiler=Clue Breakdown]The vampire mentions that he likes to tell stories. In my bio, I mention that I like to tell stories.[/spoiler]

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

Edit: clarified some things and fixed a typo.

Mafia: The Legend of Townstonia
They say that before the moon had a face, and the wolf learned to howl, there was a village that was ravaged by a battle between a Lord and a Mage of the black. The tale is lost to the murky depths of time, but the battle left scars that remain in the decedents of those that lived.
YE OLDE VILLAGERS: aka Townies
Mayor=> Lord(1) elected
Witch Hunt: The Lord is able to pick one person to be lynched within an Hour of the first day ending. The Alchemist is unable to switch the person to be lynched with someone else.
In the Name of the King: The Lord's vote is also backed by the King so it holds twice the power(counts twice instead of once).
Blood sport: During the night the Lord can arrange for two combatants to duel to the death. The winner is turned into a pincushion. Each person submits two votes. One for each slot in the execu- I mean games.
Meat sh- I mean My Noble Squires, Defend your Lord!: cannot be attacked or body switched while a squire is alive. This also applies to the Knight
Pardoner=> Knight(1) elected
For My Lady's Favor: Can cancel two lynches during the game. If the Lord has declared a bloodsport and the Knight invokes his Lady's Favor, only one of them will be spared.
Librarian=> Scribe(1) The scribe is told the role of one villager and one villager only.
Detective=> Diviner(1)
Cure the Damned: the diviner can remove two curses during the game. If the power is used on a person who isn't cursed, it is wasted. The diviner can also remove the curse from himself.
Message From the Gods: The diviner can ask what role a person is twice. The diviner can also ask if a person is connected to a crime. He can do only one a day though.
Paranoid=>The Crazy Mage(1)
Booby trapped: The Crazy Mage has his house booby trapped with a mess of magic traps guaranteed to blow the first person to bits that tries to open the door. The Crazy Mage has no idea who they really are due to a few too many magic mishaps.
Veteran=> Tracker(1)
Son, I've fought Dragons!: Due to being awesome and tough, the Tracker must be attacked twice before he can die. Lynchings still take only once though.
Paramedic/Vigilante=> Valkyrie(3)
You Shall Not Pass!: Valkyries can protect one person from one attack at night. they cannot protect each other though.
To Arms: Valkyries can kill one person a night, but not if they're protecting someone
Bodyguard=> Squire(2)These poor saps are your standard MK. I meat shield.
Townie=> serf(who ever is left over) After a hard day's lynching, they're easy pickings, but after a good night's sleep, the torches and pitch forks come out.

The Agents of EVIL: aka Mafia
Godfather=> Black Mage(1)
I Curse Thee: Can curse two people a game, but only one at a time and only at night. The curse takes until the end of the day cycle after the curse was placed to kill it's target. Curses cannot be switched after the night cycle has ended. Curses involve two narratives. Both point to the Black mage, but only the first gives a clue to the victim. The Diviner can remove both curses however.
I was always good at illusions: Appears as a villager and cannot be attacked while in effect. he can still curse people though
I will make your life hell: Appears as the Black Mage and now has the ability to kill directly, but must choose whether to curse or kill in the night.
He's innocent, you can trust me: can cancel on lynch or Bloodsport. Spares everyone in the latter case.
Mad Hatter=> Alchemist(1)
Greek Fire: Can be placed on two people at once, but only one person can be targeted a night. They are activated when A ) the Alchemist chooses, or B ) when the Alchemist dies.
I don't like you: The Alchemist can switch one person with one who is going to be lynched. It can only be used once a game and Only one person will be switched when the Lord invokes a bloodsport and cannot be used on a witch hunt. The Alchemist cannot switch the Knight or the Lord UNLESS both squires are dead.
Mafia=> Fun sized death machines(2)wez keel stuf, but only once a night.

sociopaths
Psycho=> Agents of Chaos(2)We will water our new order with your blood. But we can only kill one of you each a night.
My goals for this game are to try a few ideas in to make the game less predictable. More kill roles for the townies allow the town to have more bite, but combining the paramedic and the vigilante meant that the townies must come up with a strategy in order to maximize their effectiveness. The Godfather has lost the horse head ability,but has the ability to kill twice without blowing his cover. The Mad Hatter also has a new ability, lynch switching. I think of it as a pysch weapon rather than a legit means of elimination, but it could be used as such. Adding another serial killer boosts their sides chances as well.

Inactivity:
If a person has not posted on the thread or voted in a lynching in two days (48 hours real time) they will be taken out of the game at the end of the current cycle. The only exception is if the person lets me know that they will be unable to post or vote ahead of time.

Minors:
If you can't receive PQ's then you can't play. Sorry to be harsh, but this is to make things easier on everybody. This game runs on PQ's, it makes it really hard to make a strategy if you can't get them.

Clues:
Clues will come from profiles, avatars, sigs, comic titles, and the first page of any comics a person has. Clues can be found in basically anything.

Roleplaying:
I am on almost all the time. I get bored when no one posts and I like to talk. Please, feel free to act out your fantasy persona, or just act like a total goof ball, either is fine and I encourage both.

Narratives:
Narratives will be posted at 0:00 GMT or 18:00 CDT. I will accept votes and actions until 23:45 GMT or 17:45 CDT. The Knight, Black Mage, and Alchemist have 10 minutes to let me know whether or not they choose to use their powers on a day cycle, first come, first served. You can let me know what you what you wish to do beforehand and can include conditions.

The Flying Green Monkey was strolling home singing bawdy tunes after a few tankards of lager at the tavern.
"'Twas such a lovely night before you came along with your vulgarity," said a figure with hooded eyes.
"I hazsh no idear wuzsh you aretalking aboot," Monkey replied.
"This village could use one less idiot, I suppose," the figure replied as he pulled a sword with a dragon's head carved into the pommel.
"Wuzsh you gonna do wish tha' shtick?"
A wicked grin curled on the figure's half seen face as it thrust the sword into Monkey's gut.
"This is a sword, not a stick my victim."
Monkey's face was that of frozen terror and surprise as his life blood slowly drained from the wound. He fell to the ground as his attacker howled with laughter. He took a hat and dropped it on monkey's face as he left still laughing.

The Flying Green Monkey the serf is, alas, dead.
[spoiler=Clues] 1. hooded eyes refer to my avatar.
2. dragon's head refers to the title of one of my comics, Dragon Blood.
3. "This is a sword…" refers to this
seriously, the P-51 is not a jet,
in my profile.
4.Half seen face refers to my avatar again.
5. Howling and monkey's surpised face refer to the last panel of the first page of Dragon Blood.
6. hat=> avatar again.
7. wordy narrative is a parallel to my wordy profile.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=red herrings]
1. the sword could point to Hak, hark, or anyone with a fantasy comic.
2. laughter, not sure who it would point to , but I am pretty sure someone would think it's a clue, especially since it has been repeated twice in the narrative.
3. The hat could point to TJ, crocty, Monkey(if he wasn't the one who died), and me.
[/spoiler]
I am open to changing things, but I would like to see if I managed to balance everything out. Thank you for reading.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I would like to add a rule that no one under the age of 13 should be a mod. I mean it is a given, but you have to make these distinctions.

Also, a good thing for a GM would be the ability to be on several times during the day to keep everything up to date.

Posted at

At least TWICE? crap, I guess i'll try to host mafia XII
Salsa's idea sounds like it's got my vote

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Salsa, will you please clarify the meaning of the bloodsport? How will that be determined?

Is it a role of the die?
Is it an election?
Does the mayor pick a number between one and one hundred and the closest without going over is the winner?

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

Salsa, will you please clarify the meaning of the bloodsport? How will that be determined?

Is it a role of the die?
Is it an election?
Does the mayor pick a number between one and one hundred and the closest without going over is the winner?
It's what I'm calling a double lynch in this theme. If you read the description, it says the winner is turned into a pincushion. What I meant is that the two that get voted to fight die. (archers, pincushion? it's a joke. Get it?) :D

Posted at

I can't be a GM. Can you tell me where the register list for Mafia XI is?

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

gotta elect the new GM first. After that the GM will announce the signup thread.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

It will appear in the General Discussion Forum when the GM is chosen. You should pay attention to the news posts too cause we got a deal with skool

crocty
crocty
Posted at

It will appear in the General Discussion Forum when the GM is chosen. You should pay attention to the news posts too cause we got a deal with skool
I didn't get plugged in the news. :(

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

You need to remind Skool. And you filled up a bit too quick. I sometimes remind her myself.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

You need to remind Skool. And you filled up a bit too quick. I sometimes remind her myself.
I didn't want to seem like an attention whore though D:

Hm, is Salsa the only one running this time?

Posted at

Thanks guys for telling me. Oh yeah,Crocty,I looked at your profile,and it says that your Frank and Vinny comic is the best stickman comic ever. Congrats! I might check it out later.

Posted at

Also,I vote Salsa,hes helpful,and I like his theme. :O

Posted at

Apparently Green monkey just gave me a permission to run his idea.

I nominate myself as the next GM and I offer you this choice.

Drunk Duck Mafia XI: They did the Mash!

The Townies thought their biggest worry was the mafia. Well a worse threat has come to Townston! Three of the biggest names in monsterverse have made a bet. A TERRIBLE TERRIBLE bet. The bet is who could take over the town first. The first thing they did was to destroy the leadership in the town. People are running around flailing their arms around and panicking, ready to be picked apart by the monsters but all hope is not lost. For you see, Van Helsing has come to town. He'll save us! Right?

Each night, the monster will attack the town and turn some of them into monsters as well. They who are turned will also gain the ability to turn others as well. The town try to fight the exponentially growing monster population but at the same time the monsters will fight each other. If a monster targets a monster of a different kind, they will fight to the death.

[spoiler=This feature has been canceled!]This game will be different. 24 hours will represent 24 hours. That means that at the end of every day I will post what happened during the day AND the night.[/spoiler]

The game will run at a normal 48 hour cycle.

Townies!

Their goals.

The goal of the town will be to destroy all three monster races. Since they will be fighting an uphill battle from the start, they will have two arsenals to use.

Each night (apart from the first), the mayor will organize a lynch mob and go after a specific player. If the mayor is ever killed, the town will loose their lynch ability.

Working independently or with the town, Van Helsing and his team of hunters will strike from the darkness in order to kill the monsters.

The Roles
Mayor (1)
Pardoner (1)
Bodyguards (2)
Van Helsing: (1)
Monster Hunters: (up to 2)
Scary movie fans: (2)
Townie: (the rest of the players)

Mayor
The Mayor is elected at the start of the game and has numerous roles. His special abilities are:
Seal of the Mayor: Increased vote count of 2 during lynching.
Desperate times, desperate measures: The Mayor can declare 2 double lynches anytime during the game When double lynches are in effect each player gets two votes on two different people.(must notify me early on in the day so voting can be arranged accordingly).
Did you ever know that you're my hero…: Cannot be killed during the night while his bodyguard(s) are alive.
Let's celebrate!: The Mayor has the option of insta-lynching one player by the end of Day 1 once he's won the election. No voting takes place. Whoever the Mayor picks, gets lynched. Take heed if you plan to use this ability since no clues have been given that could tell you who's a monster at that time.

Pardoner
As a check and balance to the Mayor, the pardoner is the runner up to the Mayor. The pardoner has the ability to cancel two lynches throughout the game. This could be either two single lynches, one double lynch, one half of a double or whatever. The pardoner will have to notify me within one hour of lynch vote results before the lynch is actually posted. He is also unable to pardon on the insta-lynch.

Bodyguard
Random townies will receive the role of bodyguard once the mayor has been elected. The mayor alone will know who these people are. The bodyguard cannot be a mafia or special role, he can only be a regular townie. As long as the bodyguard is alive, he protects the Mayor and Pardoner from being killed. Normally the Mayor gets to know who the bodyguards are but in this game it will be kept a secret. When one or both the bodyguards are turned, the town will be informed via narration.

Van Helsing
The famous monster hunter has arrived to this town. He will function as a mixture of vigilante and the detective.
His powers consist of:
I sense a taint of evil!: Van Helsing can check upon a player and determine if he's been turned into a monster or not. He can only do this 2 times. Note. This power can identify the monster leaders.
Who dun it?:If a clue is left behind, Van Helsing can ask the GM if a specific someone was behind the attack.
Tonight. We hunt: Wan Helsing can spend the day hunting someone who he believes to be a monster and slay him. A clue is left behind after every kill
Note: Van Helsing can only use one of these power per day. In addition to that power he can also recruit a monster hunter to aid him. He can do this AND use another of his ability during the same day. Van Helsing can only recruit someone who isn't a monster to become a hunter. He can only recruit two times and if he tries to recruit a monster, the attempt is wasted.
Special: Van Helsing knows how to defend himself against monsters and will survive any attack made by an underling. He is however defenseless against an attack from one of the three monsters leaders. Van Helsing is allowed to pick a defense against one of the three monster types to render himself immune to attacks from one of the leaders. however, If Van Helsing is successfully attacked, he will not be turned but will instead die.

Monster hunters
Monster Hunters are recruited by Van Helsing. He's allowed to recruit up to two players that he trusts (can only recruit one per day (after the first day)). Every night, they can target and kill someone who they suspect are monsters. A clue is left behind after every kill. A monster hunter can't be turned and will die if attacked. The monster hunters are not as experienced as Van Helsing and thus can't kill the monster leaders.

Scary movie fan
Dawn of the dead, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, An American Werewolf in London. These guys have seen them all and many more. They know what to do if one is to encounter these types. Every day they are allowed to either protect themselves or someone else for the night. If the person they're protecting (or they themselves if they're selfish bastards) is attacked, he will survive and a clue will be left behind. If more then one monster attacks a person that's being protected, only the first attack is canceled.

Special
All the villagers (including the special roles) will in the beginning choose a defense against one of the monsters types. These are: A hunk of Garlic (against vampires), silver pendant (for werewolves) or a insta-light torch (to scare away zombies).
Example: If a vamp attacks a player with a chunk of garlic the monster will run away and the player is not turned for the night. A clue will be left behind which can tell us who the monster is. Once a defense has been picked, the player can't change it again.

Monsters!

Their goals.

Each of the monster races are fighting for supreme control of the town. If the other two races are dead and the town is no longer able to defeat the third one, the remaining monster race will win.

The roles.
The Sire = vampire leader(1)
The Elder = werewolf leader(1)
1st Victim = zombie leader(1)

The three monster leaders have these powers.

I wasn't turned yesterday: The monster leaders are stronger then their minions. If a monster leader attacks another monster or is attacked by one, he will survive while the other monster will survive. He will not be named in the progress but a clue, that might reveal his identity will be left behind. A monster leader can only be killed via lynch, by Van Helsing or another Monster leader.
Welcome to our fold: The monster leader can turn mortals to one of their own. Each night they can target a victim and attempt to turn him. Once that player is turned he will stay on that side until he's killed and he gains the power to turn others. If a minion tries to turn another monster, both die in a epic battle. The only way to make sure you both don't die is to double team it. Example: Two werewolves jump a vampire, the vampire dies and the werewolves live.
If the leader goes we all go!: If the leader of any of the monster races would die, all of his underlings will die with him/her.

At first, you can expect that nothing big will probably happen. My narration will state how many people were turned that night but will not specify who it was. Only when attack fails or if someone dies will there be a fancy pants narration complete with clues and everything. As the days progress and the numbers of monsters swell, you can expect things to get very lively.

For the purpose of the narration, I will say that Monkey is a werewolf being attacked by me who's the vampire leader.

The night sky was gloomy. The clouds lingered on like they had no other place to go. Every once in a while though, they gave way to allow the moon to shine through. It was precisely these moments that TheFlyingGreenMonkey was waiting for. Each time he saw a glimpse of that glowing orb he became exhilarated. It was as if the sight of it sent a charge through his systems waking up all of his senses. He had only been embraced by the werewolves two days ago but already did he feel like that he knew no other way of life.

"I never understood this damn fascination at the moon that your kind has." Spoke a voice not far from him.
On the adjacent rooftop, stood a tall and pale figure, staring at him with a bemused smile. TFGM was not pleased by this interruption. This was his territory. He had claimed it. With a short gnarl and a puffed up back, he displayed his displeasure. Amused by this, the vampire jumps over to his rooftop and speaks again.
"Oh so this town is not big enough for the both of us, you say? I could tell you few stories about how often I faced someone who's made that claim. But I rather show you how these stories end." With those words he pulls out his silver dagger and charges the wolf.

TFGM leaps to get out of the way in time to save himself from the charge but receives a cut to his tail. The pain he receives from that wound sets fire to his blood. This hurt far more then it should have. I guess the myth about the silver was true, after all. Angry, he turns around and attempts to go for the throat of the undead abomination. With a subtle and graceful move the vampire easily dodges the attack and stabs TFGM in his torso.

The pain! The pain is too much to bear. He must get away. He must move. But he isn't moving. His senses are overwhelmed. He's too traumatized to move.
"Hurts, Doesn't it?" The vampire boasts.
"My master…. will come for you." TFGM snarl's back at him.
"Why I suppose you're right, but that is a story for another time." Says the Vampire before jabbing the dagger up his skull through the underside of his snout.

TheFlyingGreenMonkey the Werewolf is dead.
[spoiler=Clue Breakdown]The vampire mentions that he likes to tell stories. In my bio, I mention that I like to tell stories.[/spoiler]

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

interesting, seems PP and me are trying some pretty radical ideas.

Posted at

Too be fair this was Monkeys idea, originally. Or at least he was the one who mentioned it first around here.

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

Too be fair this was Monkeys idea, originally. Or at least he was the one who mentioned it first around here.
true, but Monkey isn't able to run this time around.

Posted at

If I was the GM,I would make mine a FF themed,sort of like Salsa's with the black mages,etc.

EDIT:

I would like to add a rule that no one under the age of 13 should be a mod. I mean it is a given, but you have to make these distinctions.

Also, a good thing for a GM would be the ability to be on several times during the day to keep everything up to date.

If this gets around,Niccea,I will be mad,cause there are TOO many things fun on the computers for 13 or older. Oh yeah,don't you mean GM instead of mod? ._.

Posted at

Nuclear_Hand. The reason why the "no minors for GM's" rule makes sense is that they can't receive PQ's. The GM relies heavily on that feature so it simply wouldn't work.

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.