Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Mafia XXXIX: GM Elections

Posted at

Copy, paste and done.

Rules and Conditions.

Veteran players only.
The GM needs to posses a fair understanding on how the game runs. Therefore we require that the applicant has played the game at least twice

No encore performance.
As the current GM, it is up to me to pass the title to someone new. Once you're done running a game, you will also be expected to give someone else a chance. Don't start a new game. Instead you will run an election like this one where we pick a new GM. Also, you can't be a candidate yourself. This will ensure that we get new blood into the game and that the rules are regularly picked at from a different perspective. GMs from older games are free to run again and are encouraged to do so. Who knows? If they were good enough, people will flock to play their game again.

Explain your goal.
What do you plan to do as the new GM? Are you going to run a standard Mafia game? If so, will you change the rules/roles and/or introduce new ones? Are you perhaps gonna play a game with a different theme? Reverse Mafia perhaps or maybe zombie apocalypse? If so explain the new structure of the game. Changing the formula is OK. It happens in almost every game. Just be careful not to introduce a change so radical that it could scare people away from voting you. You can discuss rule changes and different themes here to see if people would like it.

Pick a schedule and stick with it It is important that the GM is punctual in maintaining the game. Do you plan to post narrations every 24 hours at a specific time? If so, make sure that you'll be here to on time to do so. If something comes up that would force you to be early or late, post a warning to let people know with an explanation. It's encouraged that you run the game using GMT timezone schedule since the players hail from all over the world, spanning different time zones and a GMT conversion table is the easiest one for everyone to access. If you plan on using a different time zone schedule like an American one, Make sure you advertise it well and post an appropriate conversion table for everyone to access.
An example of a GMT conversion table:

"Here's how it works. Figure out where in the world you live and locate that place on the map. Follow the line you're living in down to the bottom of the map and locate a number down there. Use that number to change the time that the GM gives (as long as he's using GMT, that is). For example, if the GM says that something will happen at 6 pm and your living in a -5 zone, it means that it will happen at 1 pm, your time. If you live in a +5 zone, it means that it will happen at 11pm."

Also for those living in America, here's a handy time table to show you at what time you can expect the narrations.

Show us your stuff The GM is expected to write narrations to explain what's going on throughout the game. A good writer can make the game come alive and encourage players to come back to read what's going on. Show us your stuff and create a scenario where YOU(the applicant) kill ME (the election holder). In this narration it is important that you do not directly tell us that it was you who committed the crime but instead leave a clue that's based on your name, avatar, signature, profile, comic(if you have any), something that can link you to the crime. Try making a link to you that can be figured out with some research, while at the same time is not blatantly obvious. You can throw in red herrings but please refrain from directly connecting the herrings to innocents. Make them instead vague things that could point at many people. Finally, be creative, funny, dramatic, brutal, serious, descriptive, vague, long winded or short and to the point. Pick the style you feel comfortable with and would like to use. Impress us with what you can do. At the end of the narration post an explanation that shows people how the clues link to you so that we can understand your logic.

I'll be posting the applicants sample narrations in the second post for people to quickly read through. Once we have enough applications I will announce when it's time to vote for your favorite GM. Applicants do not need to vote since it's given that they'll be voting for themselves. Although if they wish to vote for someone else, they can do so.

Posted at

Reserved for sushi…and narratives.

Narration
"Okay, go in, do the job, and get out."

"But what if I get caught?"

"I won't because I'll be careful."

"Let's just get this over so I can take a nap."

The very emotionally confused man stalked into the dark house at the end of the street. He saw half completed projects and construction tape laying all over the place.

"Pleased ta meet chu. Hope ya guess my name."

A bright flash and loud report filled the room.
[spoiler]
TheFlyingGreenMonkey, aka Bob, was shown no sympathy.
[/spoiler]

Clues:
[spoiler]
-"Pleased ta meet chu. Hope ya guess my name." Comes from the Rolling Stones song "Sympathy for the Devil," which is also part of the title of one of my comics.
-The description of the house could be applied to the same comic that the previous clue came from.
[/spoiler]

TFGM awoke slowly from his coma. "Where….where am I?"
"Oh, Look who's avake, you're somewhat safe in a hospital. That spanish mongoose venom put you out for vell over a veek. I thought it vould be worse.." Said a doctor from the corner.
"A Week? oh man, I missed my court testimony"
"You were such an important witness, they delayed the trial… Told the doctor's to get armed guards for your room. Though, the doctors were easily bribed, and my men vere set into rotation" The "doctor" was now prepping a needle. "in the Motherland, the doctors had so much more pride than that"
"What…WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" TFGM began to panic as the figure placed the needle into the IV.
"Vhy," The godfaher leaned into the light "I'm keeping you from testifying"

[Spoiler]
TFGM the vital vitness, and former GM has passed away from a "doctor induced" drug overdose.[/spoiler]

[Spoiler]

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

I'm in.

v
"Okay, go in, do the job, and get out."

"But what if I get caught?"

"I won't because I'll be careful."

"Let's just get this over so I can take a nap."

The very emotionally confused man stalked into the dark house at the end of the street. He saw half completed projects and construction tape laying all over the place.

"Pleased ta meet chu. Hope ya guess my name."

A bright flash and loud report filled the room.
[spoiler]
TheFlyingGreenMonkey, aka Bob, was shown no sympathy.
[/spoiler]

Clues:
[spoiler]
-"Pleased ta meet chu. Hope ya guess my name." Comes from the Rolling Stones song "Sympathy for the Devil," which is also part of the title of one of my comics.
-The description of the house could be applied to the same comic that the previous clue came from.
[/spoiler]

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

Space Reserved for Handicapped Parking. And by handicap, i mean a first GM'r going for a traditional Game

Mafia XXXIX: The Return to Townston Tradition

With 20 players, the number of starting roles will be:

PRO TOWN:
1 Detective
1 Vigilante
2 Paramedic
1 Paranoid
1 Veteran
8 Townie

Criminals:
Mafia:
1 Godfather
1 Mad Hatter
3 Hitman

1 Serial Killer

ELECTED/GRANTED POSITIONS
These are additional roles and powers that can be granted to some of the players, via election or random selection. Use them wisely.

Mayor
The Mayor is elected at the start of the game and has numerous roles. His special abilities are:
First act!: The Mayor has the option of insta-lynching one player as soon as he's elected. Whoever the Mayor picks gets lynched. (be forewarned if you plan to use this ability since no clues have been given that could help point you at a criminal at that time.)
Seal of the Mayor: Increased vote count of 2 during lynching.
Desperate times, desperate measures: The Mayor can declare 2 double lynches anytime during the game When double lynches are in effect each player gets one vote for each lynch going on.(must notify me during night cycle or early on in the day so voting can be arranged accordingly).
Did you ever know that you're my hero: Both mayor and Pardoner cannot be killed during the night while the bodyguard(s) remain alive. The mayor will be informed of the identity of the bodyguards.

Pardoner
As a check and balance to the Mayor, the pardoner is the runner up to the Mayor. The pardoner has the ability to cancel two lynches throughout the game. Pardoning both suspects during a double lynch will use up both powers but it's also possible to pardon one suspect while lynching the other. The pardoner will have to notify me within one hour of lynch vote results before the lynch is actually posted. He is unable to pardon on the insta-lynch. The pardoner will also receive protection from the bodyguards but will not be informed of their identities.

Pro Town:
To win, you must kill/lynch all Mafia, and the serial killer. Good luck.

Bodyguard
Random Townies will receive the role of bodyguard once the mayor has been elected. The bodyguards and the mayor will be informed of their identities. As long as the bodyguards are alive, the Mayor and the Pardoner cannot be killed via night hits. A bomb sent to a protected person will also be intercepted.

Vigilante
You are the self proclaimed hero of Townston. A masked man who has decided to take the law into his own hands. Each night you can target and kill someone who you believes to be a villain. Be careful who you chose though because you just might be taking out a friendly.

Paramedic
You have the ability to watch one other player during the night, which you must tell me about before the end of night. When a player is watched he cannot die unless the number of people attacking him outnumbers the number of people watching him or his night lives. In other words if two mafia members attack a person being watched by one paramedic, the person will die. The narrative will state that someone was attacked but saved and the narration will include a clue pointing out the identity of the attacker. It does not matter if the paramedic chooses to watch someone before or after he is attacked; he will protect that person regardless. The Paramedic will also intercept bombs sent to a townie during the night he is under watch and can discover planted bombs.

Veteran
You've been around the block a few times and know how to escape an attack on your life. But for how long? The veteran gets two lives, meaning two hits in one night must be made on him before he dies. A veteran can survive a bombing attempt if he still has both night lives but it will count as a hit attempt.

The Detective
The detective is after the bad guys of Townston. His brilliant reasoning skills and numerous contacts makes him among the best investigators in the Town. The Detective is capable of using his powers both day and night.
And you are?: Using this ability the Detective can find out much about the person that he's scrutinizing. Things like, what size of shoes he wears, his favorite brand of toothpaste, magazine subscription but most importantly, he can find out if the villager is a Pro Townie or a criminal. (Mafia and serial killers will show up as criminals, unless they have powers to help hide their identities.) This power can only be used twice.
Who dun it?: Whenever a crime has been committed, it's up to the detective to investigate the crime scene. Should he choose to investigate someone, the detective can figure out if that someone was responsible for the crime (The detective can ask the GM if a specific player committed a specific crime and get a yes/no answer).
This election has been rigged!: Looking up the vote results, the detective can figure out if any criminals participated in the election. Should he choose to use this power he'll be able to find out if any criminals voted for a specific player (mayoral or lynch) and also how many criminals voted in it. This power can only be used once.

Paranoid
The paranoid is a wee bit unhinged by his experiences in some horrible and bloody war. During days, he's perfectly normal but during the night he keeps to himself and relives the horrors of his past. The Paranoid will kill whoever was the first person to target him in any way during the night, whether it be mafia or townie (such as a paramedic opting to protect him). The Paranoid is unable to NOT kill, but will only kill one person a night. Should two persons interact with him during the night, the first person will die but the second will not. Special note, investigation powers can be used on him without fear of death since the Detective is merely investigating him and checking his background and is not directly interacting with him. Also, the paranoid is not aware that he's insane and thus believes himself to be a normal townie.

Townee!
Work Hard so your Vigilante and detective doesn't have to! You get to vote for lynches, and solve clues left in narrations.

CRIMINALS!

MAFIA
The mafia’s win condition is to kill all the townies and the serial killer. Unlike townies, all mafia members know who each other are. All mafia members can kill once per night cycle. With the exception of the Godfather, a mafia member cannot kill fellow mafia.

Godfather
Horseheaded
: The godfather is able to leave a severed horse head in the target's bed. This will scare the targeted player, causing him to go into hiding for the next day and night cycle. During this time the player can't perform any action at all. He can't vote for the next lynch and he can't use his powers if he has any. While the player is in hiding he can't be killed, but he can not solve clues either, as he's out of town. A person who's already been targeted with a horse head attack can't be targeted again.
Call in a favor: The Godfather can once per game, cancel a lynch. If he uses that ability, during a double lynch, both lynches are canceled.
Behind the curtains: The Godfather doesn't dirty his hands since he has his goons to carry out his orders. The godfather will appear as a pro-townie to the detective. He's also considered to be protected if he's attacked during the night.
Now it's personal: The godfather has decided to take actions into his own hands. By brandishing his pistol the leader has taken to the streets. He gains the ability to kill once per night but looses all benefits he received from his Behind the curtains power. If the godfather is the only mafia member left, this power is automatically activated.

Mad Hatter
Each night, the Mad Hatter is able to plant a single bomb on someone or detonate a bomb that's already been planted. He can't plant a bomb and detonate during the same night. The Mad Hatter can at most keep two undetonated bombs in circulation but is free to plant more once he's detonated or lost one of them. Every time he detonates a bomb, a clue is given about his identity. Should the mad hatter be killed either through a lynch or a night hit, all bombs in circulation will detonate, killing his targets. If a target of his somehow dies by other means, the mad hatter loses that bomb. Bombs can be intercepted by a protector, giving a clue to the identity of the Mad Hatter as well.

Hitman
You are the mafia hitman. Each night you get to shoot somebody in the eye. Don't forget to have fun.

SERIAL KILLER
While these individuals are not allied with the Mafia, they're none the less dangerous people. Their ultimate goal is to cause as much chaos as possible. To win, everyone must DIE
——

TFGM awoke slowly from his coma. "Where….where am I?"
"Oh, Look who's avake, you're somewhat safe in a hospital. That spanish mongoose venom put you out for vell over a veek. I thought it vould be worse.." Said a doctor from the corner.
"A Week? oh man, I missed my court testimony"
"You were such an important witness, they delayed the trial… Told the doctor's to get armed guards for your room. Though, the doctors were easily bribed, and my men vere set into rotation" The "doctor" was now prepping a needle. "in the Motherland, the doctors had so much more pride than that"
"What…WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" TFGM began to panic as the figure placed the needle into the IV.
"Vhy," The godfaher leaned into the light "I'm keeping you from testifying"

[Spoiler]
TFGM the vital vitness, and former GM has passed away from a "doctor induced" drug overdose.[/spoiler]

[Spoiler]
clues:
Almost all the W's are pronounced as V's (common stereotype for eastern europeans)
The motherland is common for russians of the communist era to talk about their homeland
My avatar is a soviet looking man, in front of the former USSR Flag.[/spoiler]

Clues will be from the profile of players, Avatars, First 5 pages of their comics, and comic thumbnails. (not from author notes). And very little based on their in thread actions.

Actions/Votes must be sent in by 2300 GMT/1700 CST with narrations being approximately 1800 CST/0001 GMT

When it comes to 2 party killing actions (Player A wants to kill Player B and B wants to kill A) The first person to get their action in, wins.

Mettaur
Mettaur
Posted at

Parking in a handicap spot because I'm with ADHD. It counts.

Invasion of the Pod People, reserved space for alien diplomats!

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

Four Hitmen 72?

One day I will run again. And win.
i felt 14 on 5 was a little more uneven than 13 on 6

if everyone else thinks it's fair, i can switch the role to a regular townee.

Posted at

Four Hitmen 72?

One day I will run again. And win.
i felt 14 on 5 was a little more uneven than 13 on 6

if everyone else thinks it's fair, i can switch the role to a regular townee.
I don't think it's unfair or uneven but that makes five deaths and a bomb placed a night 8 deaths if you include serial and vigilante.
(Best case scenario of course.)
But it's your game, doesn't matter what I think.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

I don't think it's unfair or uneven but that makes five deaths and a bomb placed a night 8 deaths if you include serial and vigilante.

excellent point.

Posted at

excellent point.
If that's so you should have only quoted the last sentence.

Posted at

Tommorrow we start voting. I will post on here when polls open. All people running will automaticly vote for themselves unless they PQ me otherwise.

Mettaur
Mettaur
Posted at

I forgot to put up my stuff? Oh well, I guess I'll vote for my favorite game concept then, the one with the downed pilot and the tanks and the bug dude and bob. Bob is awesome. So is the black market dealer.

Posted at

I forgot to put up my stuff? Oh well, I guess I'll vote for my favorite game concept then, the one with the downed pilot and the tanks and the bug dude and bob. Bob is awesome. So is the black market dealer.
Quickly sneak it in before the person catches you ;D

Mettaur
Mettaur
Posted at

Quickly sneak it in before the person catches you ;D
Computer force shut down now, sorry..

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

fingers crossed. Hope i win.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

i win?

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

0_0 I-I Won

^_^ I WON!!!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.