Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

No, I'm not getting married (that'll happen when pigs can fly to the moon without rockets). I was watching a few old videos on VHS when I catch this segment…

This guy gets his fiance to watch TV with him at a certain time. As the fiance watches, her man is aired in a TV commercial. He advertises that he can cook, clean, etc… and the fiance is in shock when she realizes he just proposed to her on TV. I wonder how that marriage went…

So. How would you like to be proposed to? Or how would you propose? Or in the case of married individuals, how did you/were you proposed to?

I'm sure there are guys out there who literally proposed wearing shiny white armor, or have tried to rehearse their proposal message in a mirror only to find their potential spouse had been listening nearby, etc…

Personally… if I could, I'd give that special girl a blue feather… (video game reference). :)

Starbraces
Starbraces
Posted at

Harvest Moon ftw xD (except the latest DS one. ABOMINATION OF CONTROLS!)

Since I'm a girl, i guess I'd rather get proposed TO. But how? Hm… Well there would have to be llamas involved that's for sure. Because if a guy bought me a llama that he made swallow an engagement ring, only to make me look through that llama's poo just to get the ring… I would marry him

Albeit a bit unconventional, I really love llamas

Posted at

Hmm, I don't know. I know I'd try not to do anything too tacky or P.T. Barnum-ish. I'd probably just propose, on one knee, in a situation that was special to the both of us, like where we first met or something.

Going over-the-top often ends poorly it seems….

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

Not entirely related, but I read about this in Yahoo news and it seemed appropriate.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

Here's a link to how I popped the question with my wife.
We won a ring out of it for the story.

Posted at

I proposed to my wife during a fight about what kind of engagement ring she would want, mostly cuz I already had the ring and she got what I could afford. She loved it anyway.

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

Read it, GREAT story.
I think you may be my hero.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

As a hopelessly romantic girly type, I'd rather be proposed to – then again, I'd rather be asked out on a date, and that hasn't happened yet either. -_-

Anyway, I do have an affinity for romantic gestures and old fashioned chivalry, but I also have a sense of humor, so basically, it would be nice to have a memorable proposal (that isn't too cheesy). Now, if I attract a man who is anything like me, it would probably start as a wonderful, romantic plan that goes all snafu and turns into a complete disaster (possibly ending in a jail or hospital) … but at least it would be memorable.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I'm too young to be married, but this is how it worked out for my parents: They worked together, then sort of saw each other for 2 months. Then they talked about getting married(there was no real proposal), so my mum moved out of the guy's house who she was living with, and moved in with my dad. And nearly 17 years later, they're still married and reasonably content together.

Posted at

You win. Damn, now that is how to go about it!

I guess if I had to go over-the-top, that is how I'd go about it. :)

Posted at

Yeah, I'd wanna be proposed to, and I agree with keeping it simple. Nothing huge, and not in front of a bunch of people. My main thing is not seeing it coming, like I don't wanna be with a guy forever and just be like "hey wanna make it official?" "yeah ok whatevs"
^_^

lba
lba
Posted at

I totally went for the unexpected surprise route when I proposed. I had said several times over the course of our relationship that I considered rings to be a very special object and would only ever give her one for a single purpose. A couple weeks later while we were out for a walk on her birthday, I just handed her the box without opening it or saying a single word.

The engagement didn't go off as well as the proposal part, but if I ever get around to doing it again, I thought it was rather effective.

worstcase
worstcase
Posted at

that..that is the coolest story ever. Awwwwww….!
Well, I would rather be proposed to…eh. I don't have any crazy ideas or anything.

But My parents have a good story. Basically my dad got wasted and proposed to my mum at a burger king. She rejected him. Then they got married later.

Beautiful.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

… marry me if you want to live.

Scheiden
Scheiden
Posted at

Hmmm… I already proposed to her but the 'real' marriage proposal is going to happen in 4 years time… I think.

I want to bring her to a beautiful place (not necessarily luxurious though) and give her a decent ring. I'll propose to her and pamper her the rest of that day. Because as a woman, I know all women wants to be pampered too sometimes.

Posted at

Yeah, I'd wanna be proposed to, and I agree with keeping it simple. Nothing huge, and not in front of a bunch of people. My main thing is not seeing it coming, like I don't wanna be with a guy forever and just be like "hey wanna make it official?" "yeah ok whatevs"
^_^

will you marry me and have my 10 children?
8D

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

have my 10 children?
I didn't know you already had kids. That's a lotta baggage man…

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

That would make a fun comic idea lol!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Sounds like the latest Hollywood drama/comedy…
I see a bright new career of Kuypol. :)

Posted at

My girlfriend at the time and I were in the middle of a long-distance relationship. We were driving from one place to another, then she suddenly turned to me and said, "I am sick of not know exactly how to refer to you to my relatives - boyfriend sounds so corny - can I call you my fiance instead?"

I am an easy-going fellow, so I said, "Sure, that will be fine."

Apparently this meant we were then engaged and had to buy a ring and get married. Such a small word…

(ps I have never regretted this marriage one bit!!!)

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

TheMidge28: That reads a bit like what happened to me for my batchelor party. Except they threw me into a van and were all wearing ski masks (and speaking in foreign accents) You live in a town named for one wing of my family.

As for me well the engagment ring was stolen in a burglary so my mother gave us another. I went to my wife's mother and asked her permission for her daughter's hand in matrimony. Then I knelt in front of the family and handed her the ring. I'm tradional. If I had had the money I would have gotten a horse, rode by and whisked her into the saddle, but you can't have everything.

A friend went to the school his wife was teaching in and did it in front of her class. Kind of like the scene in the movie Parenthood

Posted at

I prepared a candlelit dinner.

So much cheaper than cooking with gas.

amanda
amanda
Posted at

Already been proposed to the sweet, mushy way.

I think an unexpected, silly proposal would be the way to go next. Take notes, gents!

Midge, that is a great story ^.~

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

Well my husband and I already felt & acted like a married couple long before we actually got married, so the whole "proposal" thing was kind of non-existent for us. I mean, we still had a candlelight dinner at home one evening and he went down on one knee and did the whole speech thing, but he just did that for show. But it still is a nice memory, as are all my days with him. :)

P.S. @IndifferentlyEvil: that's one sneaky wife ya got there. I need to try that more often… lol!

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

That would make a fun comic idea lol!
Personally, I think that just sounds really, really scary. Like, something an abusive boyfriend would say while gripping a broken bottle threateningly.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.