Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Meet Andrew Foley

Posted at

Hi all.

Andrew Foley, co-writer of the Platinum Studios graphic novel COWBOYS & ALIENS (currently being serialized on Drunk Duck, if you didn't already know) here.

Some stuff about me:

-I'm a natural-born luddite–as an infant I took every opportunity to throw my booties at my mother's sewing machine–and know very little of these "webcomics" everyone seems to be talking about. So please forgive what is likely to be a long string of stupid questions, starting with "What exactly is a sprite?"

-I write comics for a living,

-It's not much of a living, yet.

-Previous or current writing credits include the vampire satire DONE TO DEATH for Markosia Entertainment, a volume of the award-winning Marv Wolfman-created/edited educational graphic novel series ORION, and the graphic novel PARTING WAYS for the now-defunct Speakeasy Comics (which is still being sold by Diamond without any money going to me or my co-creators {long story} and is currently being retooled as an e-book). I also co-wrote the second issue of Markosia's multi-generational superhero epic SMOKE & MIRROR, V.2.

-DONE TO DEATH has a workblog called DOING TO DEATH where I discuss various aspects of the comic's creation here: http://creators.thecomicsreview.com/blogs/foley/

-I don't update DOING TO DEATH as often as I should.

-I've been happily married to my wife Tiina for two years this October 30. We dressed up as Frankenstein's Monster and Bride of same for our wedding. I strangled a person during the ceremony. Our wedding cake bled when we cut it. Our first dance was to Alan Moore/David J collaboration "March of The Sinister Ducks".

-Everything in the previous paragraph is 100% true, except the bit about strangling someone during the ceremony. I only pretended to do that.

-Tiina and I have a website that's in pretty dire need of an overhaul, but it'd probably be new to you and it does feature, among other things, a preview of PARTING WAYS and the 24 Hour Comics we produced during the last 24 Hour Comic Book Day (the next one's this weekend, if you didn't know, and I strongly encourage everyone to take part. It's fun, if a little exhausting.) The site's www.andrewandtiina.com (the two i's in "Tiina" isn't a typo, BTW).

-I have an annoying tendency to write long, rambling posts. You probably already noticed that.

-I maintain a LiveJournal account that I keep fairly active: http://andrew6.livejournal.com/ My username's Andrew6, if anyone's interested. My MySpace tag is "Foley"–that account is used primarily to promote my work and anything that appears there will also appear in the LiveJournal, but everything that appears in my LiveJournal will not appear there.

-I'll probably be doing more lurking than actual posting on these forums as I try to get a handle on what's what. I'll be keeping closest track of the comments section of the DrunkDuck C&A page if anyone has direct questions they'd like to ask re: COWBOYS & ALIENS, I will always try to respond, even if it's just to say "Sorry, I'm not allowed to answer that."

-My favourite DrunkDuck comics so far are HERE THERE BE ROBOTS and LIFE AND DEATH. And COWBOYS & ALIENS, but I'm obviously a little biased.

-I'm very glad to be here and look forward to hearing what you think of COWBOYS & ALIENS.

And that's me.

I should also mention that I was interviewed by Comicon.com's THE PULSE re: COWBOYS & ALIENS. The article can be found here: http://www.comicon.com/pulse/

Thanks,
Andrew

Posted at

Wow, next to all that my simple welcome seems so lame. Regardless, welcome!

Posted at

*Is crushed by wall of text*

Yeah, I do that sometimes. A lot, actually. Sorry.

A

Rich
Rich
Posted at

"What exactly is a sprite?"

Oh dear god…

Sir, you are in for a rude awakening. A sprite is a prerendered bitmap, in this case the character animations from a video game.

THIS is your competition for pageviews…

Sad, isn't it? You make comics for a living, and now you have to compete with shitty Sonic and Megaman recolors.

Adariel
Adariel
Posted at

Welcome to DD, and im looking forward to seeing cowboys and aliens.

Posted at

Welcome! It's cool seeing more industry types online!

Vaoni
Vaoni
Posted at

Wooooo, longest introduction post i have ever seen.
It's all good though.

Welcome to DD!

Your wedding sounds like it was absolutely awesome, i want something like that for when i get married :D

Posted at

So please forgive what is likely to be a long string of stupid questions, starting with "What exactly is a sprite?"
A typical sprite comic goes about like this:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/komradedave/10102006.png

Posted at

sup dood. :)

Uh… best not get involved with the whole sprite thing…

I'll also point you at the Comic Discussion, Tips and Tricks, and Art & Writer's Corner forums. Those are the forums where comic crafting is disussed most often so I wonder if you might find some topics of interest there. :)

Also you should totally upload a little avatar for yourself because then everyone will remember you.

Posted at

Andrew,
Hey man. What's up? I've actually put my book up here at this site. It's pretty cool.

Comicmasta
Comicmasta
Posted at

hmmmm that comic name sounds familiar.

Posted at

Foley? Aren't you that senator or whatever who's raping kids?

He's my Uncle. I remember the trips we used to take out to the cabin in the woods. We'd go swimming and…and…oh god…OH GOD, he, he touched me!~ oh my god!

But seriously…no. I'm not that Senator (I'm not even American, actually), and we're not related. However, I am irritated by constantly seeing "Foley" on my television screen and having it refer to someone other than me. Not irritated enough to, you know, run for public office and send lewd text messages to underage children, but irritated.

A

Posted at

"What exactly is a sprite?"

Oh dear god…

Sir, you are in for a rude awakening.

Wouldn't be the first time. Not even the first time today, actually (bloody bats fluttering around the bedroom discommoding the passersby…).

Thanks for the info.

A

Posted at

Wooooo, longest introduction post i have ever seen.

When I first got online, I sent an e-mail to my closest friend, who was an old hand on the whole computer thing by that point. It wasn't just any e-mail, either, it was a monstrous, 10,000 word epic. I mean, this was THE ODDYSSEY of e-mails. Took me the better part of three hours to write. I sent it off, and twenty minutes later I got his reply, which was "Yes."

Right then, I knew I was going to have difficulty with the brevity of the majority of online communication…

A

Posted at

sup dood. :)

Me, but that can't last.

I'll also point you at the Comic Discussion, Tips and Tricks, and Art & Writer's Corner forums. Those are the forums where comic crafting is disussed most often so I wonder if you might find some topics of interest there. :)

Cool, I'll check 'em out.

Also you should totally upload a little avatar for yourself because then everyone will remember you.

Remember that bit about me being a luddite who'll ask a lot of stupid questions? Um, yeah. How does one upload an avatar? For that matter, how does one MAKE an avatar?

Please phrase any answers with words of two syllables or less. Seriously, you can't dumb this sort of thing down too much for me.

A

Posted at

I've actually put my book up here at this site. It's pretty cool.

Raff! Good to see you(r typewritten words)!

Did you ever get things straightened out with Image, or is that still ongoing?

A

Posted at

Remember that bit about me being a luddite who'll ask a lot of stupid questions? Um, yeah. How does one upload an avatar? For that matter, how does one MAKE an avatar?

Please phrase any answers with words of two syllables or less. Seriously, you can't dumb this sort of thing down too much for me.

All you have to do is find or make an image about the same size as the ones you see here (100x100 or less if that makes any sense to you). Most people here choose either something from their comic (free advertising and all) or a picture of something they like (a TV show etc).

Here, I made a couple for you if you want to use something from your comic:
(you could pretend he is feeling threatened by textile machines if you want)

Once you have an image you want to use, make sure it is saved on your computer. (Try right-clicking on the image you want, and choosing "Save As"). Then, when you're logged in to Drunk Duck, go to your controls. Either click on the tab at the top of the pages that say My Controls, or the yellow bar on the right that says "my account".

You should see a little spot that says "Avatar" and a button that says "browse." Click browse and choose the image you want - remember where you saved it on your computer. Make sure it is all selected, then click "send". You should see it appear in that spot.

Also if it makes you feel better, whenever I see the name "Foley" I think of Dave Foley, who used to be on a show called Kids in the Hall, which was great. Also he was on Newsradio which also was great.

Comicmasta
Comicmasta
Posted at

Bah anyways welcome to Drunkduck.

Posted at

Welcome aboard, Andrew. Your work sets a very high bar. I've been involved in comics since the 80's, first drawing mainstream for-sydicate strips (rejected for years) and the alternative comics. There are a few fine comics here and a ton, a eritable TON, of crap. It's like anything else, really. Your work really stands out. I've been giving you a hard time about accuracy, but I'm that weird sort of anal… I have a strip up where a character fires of seven shots from a revolver, and I made damned sure that the revolver he was using actually did fire seven shots (It's a Russian 19th-century gun…Herge was my idol as a kid, and his stuff was all totally accurate).
Anyway, I think a comic of your quality is a great thing for Drunk Duck and for all the serious cartoonists here.

Josh

Posted at

That's Mark Foley but weird coincidence that this guy is also Foley. Well, Welcome anyway.

Posted at

That's Mark Foley but weird coincidence that this guy is also Foley. Well, Welcome anyway.

Yeah, it's even more irritating for me than having WWE Superstar Mick Foley signing books across the aisle from me at the San Diego Con–for two solid hours I kept thinking different people were saying my name, only to realize I wasn't even a blip on the radar. Having the same last name as a possible/probably pedophile…not a lot of fun. I was much happier back in the '90's when Hurricane Andrew hit. I still look at the scrapbook with headlines like "ANDREW EXPECTED TO STRIKE AGAIN WEDNESDAY" with some pleasure.

A

Posted at

Hello and Welcome Andrew! This is Carly, umm… I coordinated hotels/passes/booth for comic-con this past year, so if your hotel was jacked up it was my fault. I thought I had met you, but when Aaron was describing you (6 foot tall silver hair) I was like, uh Lee Nordling?, oh no no, then he'd have said "evil santa"

Oh yes, my point! I don't really have one…sorry I was trying to say "Hi! I've seen you're name a lot, good to see that you're really a person!" Scared yet? I tend to do that.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.