Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Migraines -_-

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I haven't made a thread in General for a while…
Who else gets these terrible headaches?

I've had them since I was a really little kid, and they've only gotten worse since I've gotten older. They're not the fancy kind with auras, colours or blindness, just unrelenting PAIN, nausea, and vomiting.
They say you should avoid "triggers", but so many things cause my headaches it's hard to do that: lack of sleep, too much sleep, dehydration, lack of food, too much sugar, overheating, hangovers, bent neck, tooth ache, congested sinus, being knocked on the head…

I had too miss out on work the other day because of one, and either the after effects of the headache or the medication is making things seen "unreal" to me, I don't "care" about things as much when I'm like this, my attention span decreases and it's hard to concentrate. -this is all after the migraine. Anyone else have that?

Memmy
Memmy
Posted at

I get migraines and they varies. Sometime I get flickering lights until I go nearly blind. Other times its pin prickling numbness that spreads through my arms and my faces. Those are awful feeling and I'm often nauseated. Sometime I get combinations. I dont remember what it was after migraines. I do know that I developed some ulcer from taking ibuprofens.

I used to get 3 or 4 per month. But since I was put on Beta Blocker, it dramatically dropped down to 1 per… 2 or 3 months. Its a blessing except it got replaced with vertigo that sends me to bed for nearly 24 hours. With vertigo, I often can barely walk staight, the rooms sometime spins, I'm extremely nauseous, I get these roaring tinnitus and its the only thing I hear. There's no medication that works for me.

Its funny, but I kinda miss migraines. At least with those, its mangeable with medication.

SarahN
SarahN
Posted at

I do all the time. I believe mine are allergy headaches though…but they're annoying enough that I don't want to do ANYTHING.
The last one I had made me throw up though. o_o;

Whirlwynd
Whirlwynd
Posted at

I only get them every other month or so - usually the pain isn't so bad, it's the nausea that really bothers me. (I used to be emetophobic, too O_O) If I feel sick I eat or chew something minty to help me feel better, but with the migraines it doesn't help that much. The only thing I can do to make it go away is sleep.

Only with the really bad ones I get vertigo and start seeing weird things or smelling things that aren't there.

Alexis
Alexis
Posted at

I get them, they were worse when I was a kid, though. I get migranes with tunnel vision, where my vision startes to blur from the edges and moves on in. By the time the headache sets in my field of vision looks like a monet painting, or almost pixelated like the faces of the criminals on COPS. When I was a kid they checked to make sure I didn't have a brian tumor pressing on my optic nerve, but they didn't find anything. I haven't had too many lately, but another medication I'm on seems to make the headaches worse.

djcoffman
djcoffman
Posted at

Here's a trick I learned about migraines– pick up an icecube and squeeze it, or anything VERY cold, don't let go even if it hurts a little or goes ice-numb. It will either take the pain of your headache completely away, or dull it significantly.

You're basically confusing the brain telling it to focus on the ice pain in your hand first.

yaz47
yaz47
Posted at

for me, its just a really painful headache, followed by a numbness to my tongue, so I can't taste anything for like, half an hour.

gigafelz
gigafelz
Posted at

In soviet russia headaches get you!

I get them and I dont like it mach 9,001 they make me want to vom

Maxw3ll
Maxw3ll
Posted at

Yeah I get them a lot. Migraines are a b*tch.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Here's a trick I learned about migraines– pick up an icecube and squeeze it, or anything VERY cold, don't let go even if it hurts a little or goes ice-numb. It will either take the pain of your headache completely away, or dull it significantly.
Hmm, I'll try that. I've tried everything else… if it could prevent me losing money, then I'll take it!

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I get migraines.

It isn't the pain that bothers me – actually very few of my migraines involve a "headache." Half my body goes numb. I hate that feeling most of all. My vision gets weird (like tunnel vision). Worst of all, my mind is screwed up. I forget the names of people and simple words – like I couldn't remember the word "migraine" or even "head." I had to point and mime to tell my parents what was wrong when I was a kid.

One day I was typing in a forum. I looked up at the screen and realized I had typed a nonsensical garbled mess. Even deliberately pushing each letter, I couldn't make sentences or words. That was how I knew I was getting a migraine one day… (And some of the memory loss tends to linger a day or two, making exams and homework very challenging.)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Wow, freaky. I have a friend who just goes completely blind. It can last for a day or so.
For me it's simply excruciating pain, inescapable because it's inside my head… It lasts for hours. It's getting to the point where I might have to go to the doctor to get something to knock me out when I have the really bad ones because they literally start to drive you insane -the one before the last one was the worst yet.

I worked for a woman once who told me she'd call a doctor to come around with a morphine injection when she had them. At the time I thought that was way too extreme; I could imagine them being bad, but I thought calling a doctor for a house call with morphine was WAY over the top.
The thing is, I'm now at the point where that sounds perfectly reasonable.

Enef
Enef
Posted at

I've had some pretty bad ones before, spots in front of my eyes, dizzyness, i've blacked out from one before, but not for a long time or for any elongated period of time.

My friend had some so bad they made him physically sick. He threw up there was so much pain from the migraine.

matteblack
matteblack
Posted at

Yeah those Migraines suck. I had my doctor give me a prescription to Imitrix, which seems to help tremendously. I think it used to be a injection, but they have pills now. When I feel one coming I take one of those and it goes bye, bye and I don't feel drowsy or anything.

Posted at

I get horrible migraines. Lock yourself in a dark bedroom migraines. Crying, puking, and fetal for days, migrains…

My mom get's 'em too, so I think it's yet another trait I can thank her for.

Occassionally, they get so bad, I have to get a shot…Which is fantastic! Unfortunately, the shots make me so loopy that I am out of commission for the rest of the day, but…I don't have the headache after the needle.

Since, I quit teaching, they are fewer. (Which leads me to believe "stress" is a major factor in my case.) I only get maybe one or two a month. A couple of years ago it was three/four times a week…So, I can't complain.

Posted at

I know what you mean. I've had to miss days of school due to migraines. I'd rather have the flu. The worst part is that sometimes sleeping it off doesn't work. Ugh. I just take some prescribed pills and hope it gets better.

Migraines, the bane of my existence.

Posted at

seems i almost keep one, they very in extremes. from agravating, to mindshattering, to making me so sick i cant do anything, i havent found any meds over the counter that work enough to help. i went to the doctor in 2001 and he gave me so many dammned pains killer muscle relaxers, sleep pills, stress meds, it helped, but i can not justify to myself taking all that junk. luckily at the time i had really good insurance so cost wasnt a big problem, just didnt wanna end up a pill junkie. know what i mean? darkness is the best thing along with silence, that not seeing light in the morning and trying to keep my cool.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.