Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

motorbikes!

Posted at

so! I'm 18 next month, and it's ocurred to me that I'll need some transportation after uni, and with petrol, insurance and all that jazz, it's occurred to me that perhaps I should look into motorbikes. aside from the fact that I'd look bitchin on a harley, it just seems more economical, but then again I haven't owned a bike before, so I dunno what they get to the gallon and what insurance would be like, any opinions?

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

If you're worried about gas, perhaps an electric scooter? The downside is they're not as fast, and will attract less women.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Saving gas is great, but I have to be honest with you, I always think guys on scooters look a little bit gay. I think it's because of the way you sit on them.

Croi Dhubh
Croi Dhubh
Posted at

Not only that, but what you're paying out in electricity to charge the thing isn't really worth it!

I don't know where you are or what your budget is nor your level of skill, so I'll try and help out the best I can here.

I would try and not get anything less than 883cc. While a 650cc bike is going to get you good gas mileage, look decent, and be easy to ride, they are actually a little dangerous because they are so underpowered. A bike with at least 883cc will give you power enough to get out of the way, still be easy to ride, and will look slightly better.

Good motorcycles are obviously Harley Davidson, but another very popular brand that is fantastic is Yamaha. The bikes provided through Yamaha look sexy as hell, are very reliable, and you can get a bike with a 1100cc for just about the price of a Harley 883cc. Also, look at some of Honda's bikes. They're nice, but slightly overpriced for what you get.

If you're worried about "too much power", don't. The power is only there when you need it. I can run a mile in 6.5min, but that doesn't mean I travel that fast all the time.

Everyone who gets a lower power bike always ends up with a larger bike soon, however, and that can get expensive.

If you're not dead set against a scooter style, Yamaha has excellent ones that look like a Vespa, but cost WAY less.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Vespa style scooters DO look extremely stylish. :)
There is that "gay" thing about scooters in same ways, but not always. Look at the way British Mods look on their machines.

BMW makes some stylish motorbikes. ^_^

JoeL_CQB
JoeL_CQB
Posted at

If you're worried about gas, perhaps an electric scooter? The downside is they're not as fast, and will attract less women.

and you can't take them on the highway.

If I were to chose a bike myself, I'd pick a yamaha or a bmw.

my friend has an appello. (i think that's how it's spelled)

which is like the Marcos of all cars for motorcycles.

Posted at

thanks guys, that's just the kinda thing that I needed to know, I'll look into buying when the time is right.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Those BMW R1200C BMWs are sexy and stylish for the big chunky beasts that they are… Without the "Fat arse" look of many of the popular Harley models :)

Posted at

Just don't be one of those motorbike drivers… everyone in the UK hates motorbike drivers (except the motorbike driver himself) because they're constantly breaking road rules, driving unsafely, making a lot of noise, and driving and parking where they shouldn't.

Croi Dhubh
Croi Dhubh
Posted at

and you can't take them on the highway.

If I were to chose a bike myself, I'd pick a yamaha or a bmw.

my friend has an appello. (i think that's how it's spelled)

which is like the Marcos of all cars for motorcycles.
That depends on where you live. Here in the US, most states allow you to ride them on the highway as long as they are registrable. If you can't legally register the vehicle, then it's not considered street legal anywhere.

The only thing which is really required here in the US is there to be a stamped vin number, at least one mirror, a break light, a tail lamp, and a front head lamp which is constantly illuminated.

Posted at

My car's one of them fuel efficient cars… I tell yah, it saves you a LOT of money.

The only problem is it costs a lot more money than it's worth to actually buy one.

Croi Dhubh
Croi Dhubh
Posted at

A little more? The last number crunch on one of those cars I saw stated you had to have the car for 8 years to finally pass the amount of money you've paid out towards the car compared to a comparable four cylinder car.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.