Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
SomaX
SomaX
Posted at

(from image shack, since photobucket removed it)
http://www.dayofsilence.org/index.cfm

So tomorrow (the 17th) is the National Day of Silence. Is any one else participating? I rallied a bunch of my friends at school, plus, I've set my more popular comics to post an announcement about it tomorrow morning.

Any one else heard about it or plan on participating?

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

I don't plan on participating, just because I will need to talk, and I'll be very busy with lots of assorted things (more than usual at that time), but I have friends who are participating, and I respect them for it.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Goddamnit, everyone is stealing my idea. In winter this year I decided I wasn't going to talk for 24 hours and dedicated that day to peace and love and nice things and the like.
So a couple months later our school has a day of silence, mostly run by this girl who is in a bunch of my classes. Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm still claiming the idea. This one might have been running longer, though.
I still think that it's more meaningful that I just decided to do it on my own when no one else was doing it. It's a lot harder then, too…school was a little odd. :) Most people didn't notice at all(I'm not very social) but I remember my art teacher asking me a bunch of long questions and looking at me very oddly when all he got was shrugs, smiles, and nods.

Jonko
Jonko
Posted at

It would be hard to do this for me since I teach. Imagine having a silent teacher!

lba
lba
Posted at

I never quite understood the point of protesting the abuse of GLTB people by refusing to say anything which is what it was about at my highschool. I always felt like it was more about making people feel good about "doing something" than actually getting up and stopping the problem. To me it just ended up being ironic that they would protest the silencing of GLTB people by being silent.

That's my experience in my school though, so maybe it's different for other people.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

That kinda reminds me of the "day without an immigrant" boycott from a few years back.

I never had anything like that in my high school- but that was 10 years ago. Plus, I think I was one of maybe 3 (openly) queer students; there wasn't much sympathy for the cause, to say the least.

But as for the "Day of Silence"- I think it's the kind of thing that's probably more effective if it's promoted or advertised beforehand- if you can't explain why you're silent (because you're being silent) or people don't expect it, it comes off as pointless or confusing. I mean, I guess you could wear a sign or something?

I used to be pretty involved with organizing protests and stuff like this- it's especially difficult in small communities, where you don't have the strength of numbers to get your point across. But sometimes if you contact local media in advance and let them know what you're up to, they'll cover it. Those jerks love the "kids are taking a stand against ____" angle, especially on slow news days. ;)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I liked the day without pants idea. That was cool.

…It didn't really go far enough though. :(

lba
lba
Posted at

they still have no pants day. It's every November 19th if I remember right.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

It could be entertaining as everyone plays Harpo Marx charades for a day. There is a deaf/mute in the building where I work and I'm usually the only one who gets what he says since he mimes a lot like Harpo Marx. But I'd only do it if I could carry the horn and hang my leg in everyone's outstretched hand.

Just give me International Talk like a Pirate day.

Frankly I don't want to see 85% of the people I encounter without pants. But it would definitly be a good excuse to look everyone in the eyes.

imshard
imshard
Posted at

I would if I went to school, unfortunately I answer telephones for a living and I doubt my Boss would appreciate the activism on company time.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

But I'd only do it if I could carry the horn and hang my leg in everyone's outstretched hand.
The trouble is that there would need to be a conveniently placed harp in most places… Couple get expensive. :(

Plus, I can't play the harp. :(

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I think it's funny that everyone makes excuses for the no talking day…I'm really talkative, it would be rude, etc. If it was easy there wouldn't be a point to it. Same with the 30 hour famine. All kinds of things, really. You just need to commit yourself to it. Once you do, all those excuses barely mean anything.

Posted at

Wait. A WHOLE DAY, dedicated to anti-LGBT name calling, where you stay silent the entire time?

We only gave a minute to the twin towers. Why is this so important?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I think it's funny that everyone makes excuses for the no talking day…I'm really talkative, it would be rude, etc. If it was easy there wouldn't be a point to it. Same with the 30 hour famine. All kinds of things, really. You just need to commit yourself to it. Once you do, all those excuses barely mean anything.
Exactly- like the no pants day!
Quitters!!!!!!!

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

Posted at

Dude, I can barely go 2 hours without talking.
Unless I'm in a bad mood.
So, it's a no-go for me.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Midge would be in for no pants day for sure.

I don't think he even needs it to be a "day"…
That'd just make him legit I suppose.

Walrus
Walrus
Posted at

Well, to late for that, I wouldn't shut up today.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

THANK GAWD THAT'S DONE!
geez! silence is golden but sure doesn't pay the bills.

And I am definitely all for No Pants Day.

Surprising thing, in some countries it appears to be a custom to wear no pants.
I don't believe they wouldn't see the appeal of No Pants Day.
I especially think people in colder climates would not find this day a day of great celebration running to and fro with no constraints as you feel the wind running through the willow of your bits and pieces.

Plus you might freeze your wee and have it fall off.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.