Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

No seriously, Background artist. It's, like, the EASIEST job ever.

Posted at

All I need is somebody good with backgrounds, scenery, etc. It's not hard. At all. You'll see the page you'll be making backgrounds for after you apply.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

if its easy why not do it your self?

Aw man, you got me all excited when I saw someone answered…I think what he means is it should be easy, and for most people it is, but for this comic we ended up with people oddly incapable of making backgrounds.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Seriously, guys? Is it really worth the time to post here just to insult us? Please only post here if you're interested or have other ideas.

I will be doing the job for now, but the comic will look a lot better if we can get someone else, and I'm sure it would only take a few minutes for someone who is decent at that sort of thing.

Posted at

I'm no good with scenery! I don't want people to look away because the backgrounds are atrocious. Besides, I'm always reading credits on cartoons and stuff(yeah, I'm a freak), and pretty much everyone's got a background artist. I wouldn't ask if I didn't need the help.

Posted at

All you snarky repliers, quit being jerks. Most of us do our own backgrounds, but who wouldn't like someone to take that job from us? At any rate a reply put more in the form of genuine advice rather than 5 words of tough love will generally be received better.

flapjack, it may be useful to post an example of the kind of background you'd like, or which of your comics it would be for? Backgrounds certainly CAN be time consuming, I don't think anyone would really want to sign up before knowing what they're getting into. Like how many panels would it be, how much detail, in color, etc.

Maybe if you want a background artist you can do what animated productions do- get a certain number of backgrounds and reuse them over and over (different parts of the image, or zoomed in, or change the colors for nighttime, etc)?

Posted at

Thanks, SM! I've gotten the reusable background advice before, the only problem is that I can't make one to begin with. Hippie Van did this one:

I like it because it's abstract and misshapen. That's all I really want, something that looks cool and takes five minutes. The backgrounds only need to be very basic. Right now the scene is quite bright, but a lot of the comic is dark and devious.

And I'll accept any sass from Eddie Jensen, as he IS the king of Norway. Besides, I've already asked him for advice.

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

I'll give backgrounds a crack.
I could produce stuff like that one shown, with my own little twist. I'll give it a shot, and you can tell me what you think.
Give me a sample page, and I'll try to whip a little sometin' sometin' up in the next couple days.

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

If this is too light and fluffy I could try to darken my style for you.

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

I'll try a third tonight, before I turn in.
Should it be a night scene, or another day?
edit:
Sorry, too late, already made this guy:

I'll also try to work on a better example later.
These ones aren't my best. I gotta sleep for now, though.

Posted at

Well, it's great, but it's a little too abstract. There's too much white spaces in between. I'm looking for something a little more defined, but of course not too defined. HV just used a filter on a background she drew.

EDIT: I don't mean defined, I mean solid. Sorry. It's all the white in between.

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

Well, it's great, but it's a little too abstract. There's too much white spaces in between. I'm looking for something a little more defined, but of course not too defined. HV just used a filter on a background she drew.

EDIT: I don't mean defined, I mean solid. Sorry. It's all the white in between.
Is this still too abstract?

(Feel free to say, that what I'm doing isn't close to what you want, and you would rather have Hippie Van, do it. I'm not too great at backgrounds, in my opinion, and I wouldn't be offended.)

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I like that one, Bocaj! It's got a neat painty look to it.

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

Cool, cool.
All we need now is a sexy team name…

NickGuy
NickGuy
Posted at

why dont you say the same thing to akira toriyama, or almost all the manga artists who use assistants to draw their backgrounds?

Posted at

why dont you say the same thing to akira toriyama, or almost all the manga artists who use assistants to draw their backgrounds?

Because Toriyama had to make about 30 pages every week? theres a rather large difference.

Toshubi
Toshubi
Posted at

I could do a few backgrounds if you'd like.
What types are you looking for? (Just forest types or a variety.)
Below is some links to what I can do.

Forest http://www.drunkduck.com/Blade_of_Toshubi/index.php?p=352272

Room http://www.drunkduck.com/Blade_of_Toshubi/index.php?p=87453

Alley http://www.drunkduck.com/Blade_of_Toshubi/index.php?p=183823

Village road http://www.drunkduck.com/Blade_of_Toshubi/index.php?p=251748

PQ me if you like what you see. (I tend to respond to PQs faster than the forums.)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.