Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Radec
Radec
Posted at

I just got Photoshop 6.0.
for free.
(I also got Adobe ImageReady for free too.)

all this. from my uncle.

for free.

One day while we were chatting at lunch, and we started talking about my drawings and such, he brought up that he has "this imaging software I have, bu tnever use", and when I asked whether or not I could have it, since he never uses it anyways, he told me that would be great.
As far as I know, photoshop is expensive.
I hear it's incredibly expensive, in fact. This is one of the many reasons I am so excited about recieving it.
the interesting thing is, he KNEW exactly how very expensive this program is, yet decided he didn't need it at all.

I love family togetherness.

Posted at

your name backwards is cedar..heh

good on you, mate :D

Kiara
Kiara
Posted at

Congrats on that. ^^
Photoshop makes things so much easier, especially when you memorize all the keyboard shortcuts. :P

Radec
Radec
Posted at

now, I only need to acquire myself a little artistic ability…

Posted at

don't use lens flare…..ever. it cheapens the art.

Posted at

unless it's done in the background to emulate the sun. but not directly over any artwork of a person, or the closest object to your line of sight in the comic.

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

I'm probably the only person here that has Photoshop installed, yet rarely uses it.

.: Myxomatosis :.

taltamir
taltamir
Posted at

I got photoshop CS2, YARR!

P.S. It costs 649$ USD to buy the newest version (CS2 aka version 9)…
Older versions can probably be bought cheaper…
Upgrade to latest version costs 149$ USD so now that you have version 6 you can go get it upgraded…

Posted at

…if you're a bad person, you can probably download it illegally or find a crack on bittorrent.

Posted at

shhh…no talking about pirated stuff here

Posted at

unless it's done in the background to emulate the sun. but not directly over any artwork of a person, or the closest object to your line of sight in the comic.

lens flare makes it look really noobish. if you want to emulate the sun use the dodge tool soft brush.

Radec
Radec
Posted at

sounds good.
thanks, Subcultured.
Any other advice I could leach off of you?

Posted at

I would say you should get a waccom if you dont have one already.

roma
roma
Posted at

Congradualtions with free Photoshop. I remember my first photoshop version. It was 3.0 something. A long time ago.

Radec
Radec
Posted at

I would say you should get a waccom if you dont have one already.
I got a Wacom, luckily.
apparently my relatives have all sorts of stuff they got but never will need!
(anyone ever try playing a FPS using a Wacom tablet? Tis' really hard!)
I don't even know WHY they buy this stuff though, seeing as how they never use it…

radarig
radarig
Posted at

Just to add on to Sub's comment on lense flare, in general filters should be taken with a grain of salt; they can give your art a very cheesy "over-done" quality if you aren't careful.

Some of them are useful, but you have to work with transparencies and blending modes to work them back in. They're just too . . . blatant to leave on the surface (with a few exeptions).

Posted at

lens flare makes it look really noobish. if you want to emulate the sun use the dodge tool soft brush.

http://www.drunkduck.com/Magical_Mania/index.php?p=82187

here is an example of the lens flare as the sun not standing out too much, but rather in the background as it should be. I also set it at 76% transperncy so that it would blend in with the blue sky a little bit.

at first glance you hardly notice the lens flare, you're just focusing on the characters and reading stuff.

Stain
Stain
Posted at

I got those same programs from my uncle. Also for free.

kaminari
kaminari
Posted at

I'm probably the only person here that has Photoshop installed, yet rarely uses it.

I had it installed for the longest time, but I deleted it because I needed the space and was mostly using Paint Shop Pro X anyways because I like it better.

taltamir
taltamir
Posted at

i once used photoshop to convert a bmp file to a jpg… and that other time i cropped an image… and thats it.

Yumeko
Yumeko
Posted at

OMG… :roll:
I live in Russia… here we can buy ALL graphic programs at once on 1 CD for only 3$ :-D

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Lucky Russians…

Anyway yeah, don't use lens flares or filters much. They're fun to play around with, but they look cheesy. Also Lens Flares are way overdone. People are all like "Hay guyz look at my awesome phtoshop skillz" when they use filters, which is stupid because filters are about the easiest part of the program to use.

taltamir
taltamir
Posted at

OMG… :roll:
I live in Russia… here we can buy ALL graphic programs at once on 1 CD for only 3$ :-D
\

Thats called piracy, here we have the broadband connection required to download them for free.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

You are incorrect on piracey. You're a pirate if you hijack something and then re-sell it. The term has been messed up by the media, stupid people and the crafty music industry in order to confuse the issue. Free file trading actually makes it HARDER for priates, that's the irony. It's STILL illegal, but NOT piracey.
Piracey is what's happening when our friend from Russia pays a couple of dollars for all those programs on one CD. And even then, it's the people who make the discs and sell them who are the pirates, not those who buy them.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.