Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Poor people don't get honeymoons :(

Posted at

We were really hoping to go to Prague for our honeymoon next summer. We picked it because the US dollar goes quite a way there, and since then we've been reading up on the city alot, and getting really excited, but today I checked airfare rates. If we bought the tickets now it would still cost almost $4000 just to get there.

After I pay rent I'll have $70 to last the next two weeks. Dinner tonight was Ramen noodles. It's just not gonna happen, just like we coulden't make it to Washington for the Sasquatch festival like we had hoped to do this summer.

It's not like I'm new to being poor. I've always been poor. I was poor growing up. I'm likely to be poor the day I die. My kids will be probably be poor too.

I just feel like I'm missing out, y'know? I don't care about just stuff. I can fit all my worldly possessions in the bed of my truck, (most of that is my computer too) and I like it that way. Fortunatly so does my future wife (who's also always been poor.)

I just want to get out and experiance something before I die. I don't wanna punch my ticket feeling like I wasted my life.

I shouldn't complain, I mean I live in a place a lot of people have always wanted to see… but winter is coming, hell it's basically here, and winters in Alaska suck about as much as you might imagine they would. Still, it's my home and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I just want a glimpse of something… memorable.

I was arguing with my boss last week. He insists you can still raise a family on a single income. My girlfriend and I both make decent money. We have very little debt. We clip coupons and carpool, and adhere to a budget, (we spend exactly $50 on luxury items each month) yet we're still broke again before each payday.

Our apartment leans to one side. I'm not kidding. The slant is bad enough that my desk chair is always sliding to the right. I can't even afford a verticle home.

Funny thing is- this place is way nicer than where I was living this time last year. It's got more than one room, running water, plumbing, a washer and dryer even. It just leans to one side… so things are looking up right? Gotta count your blessings while you have them.

I mean, I'm in love with an awesome girl who's just crazy enough to want to marry me. I should be happy, and maybe tomorrow I will be, but tonight I'm just sad. Really sad :(

crazyninny
crazyninny
Posted at

My family is also poor *My Dad came from a very decent income family line, but made bbaadd choices. He was lucky enough to find a woman to marry him. How poor we'er they? Well, they'er wedding costed only $15… @_@* so thats why I'm working while in highschool. Its not anything to really compare to, its a little money, but it'll get me somewhere. And as long as I keep it up, I could go to college if I get enough grants and loans.

But want I'm really trying to do is see places. My mom, her family could hardly afford to go to other states, so she never saw much. And now, she's just to sick to go places like she would like to. I don't want to miss chances to see the world. I really don't want to just sit around and regreat never going out of the country, and seeing places.

So when my community offered kids trips to Japan, I jumped on it. Its not going to cost me much, and I'll be able to be with people I know as I travel to Japan this year. I'm really exicted, but scared at the same time. I hope I don't make a fool out of myself, that would be the worst thing to happen.

Posted at

I hope I don't make a fool out of myself, that would be the worst thing to happen.

That's the last thing you should worry about. Have fun! And remember- the best thing about a vacation is that you don't live there.

Posted at

so thats why I'm working while in highschool. Its not anything to really compare to, its a little money, but it'll get me somewhere. And as long as I keep it up, I could go to college if I get enough grants and loans.
i commend you for being responsible

Posted at

In my experience the cheapest time to buy flights is 5-6 weeks in advance. If you buy too soon (as it sounds like you are, by 8 or so months) they get to charge premium rate, because the only people who buy them then are the people who hell or high water know they're gonna go.

I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives, depending on where you're flying from. Depending on how much time you have you could probably rent a car and drive there once you've gotten onto the mainland - all you need is an international drivers permit ($10 at any AAA).

Try looking up cheap flights to other places in europe, and finding connections from there. Europe has a pretty good inter-country travel system- trains, roads, etc. There are loads of tiny, cheap airlines as well. (Ryanair is probably the most questionable of those, but if you're looking for cheap, they're the ones to go with.) Make an account on Travelocity and have them notify you of specials and deals to your desired locations.

Summer is the most expensive time to travel, could you take your honeymoon in the off-season? (Feb-April, Sept-Nov)?

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

My wife and I are not rich and when we first started planning our wedding and future we had to budget and spend wisely. So many people think you have to spend a lot to make something special or romantic…its not the case. I can give plenty of examples of times where just being creative without spending a dime made my wife feel so special and created memories which she still talks about today.

also to our honeymoon…we didn't pay for where we stayed.

a family friend allowed to use their time-share at a golf resort in Wisconsin Dells.

Not much to do…but there was enough if we wanted to.
But it was our honeymoon after all…so there wasn't to much going out ;)

Plus I like cheese.

Posted at

a family friend allowed to use their time-share at a golf resort in Wisconsin Dells.

Hey y'know I've got a good friend in Hawaii who's always saying we can stay in a yurt on his property if we want to come visit. I'm gonna check airfare rates…

Yep. We could get there for less than $1500. That's definatly doable :)

crazyninny
crazyninny
Posted at

Fuzzy Modem: Thanks! This'll be my secound time I've been far, far away from home. *Frist time was in DC.* So I hope I won't be a mess up! *Luaghs.*
Guess it does suck to live somewhere where tourist out number the residents. You are not safe from the Hawaiin shirt man, and his loud mouth wife! WAHAHHAHAHAAA!!!

Subcultured: Don't thank me, thank my parents! The few still left who knows how to raise their kids. Without them, I would of ended up like these pregenat whores with money coming out of who knows where, and and questionable priorities. *I really don't think OC is comparable to the world government…*

Posted at

Good luck to ya and all that. I know how it goes being poor, the wife and I could only afford a Greyhound to the coast for our honeymoon. Remember that it's who you're with that counts, not where y'all go or even live.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

Hey y'know I've got a good friend in Hawaii who's always saying we can stay in a yurt on his property if we want to come visit. I'm gonna check airfare rates…

dude our honeymoon was in Wisconsin…when one thinks of romance no one imagines Wisconsin…but honestly going to a local bed and breakfast for the weekend for $100 is quite doable!

Posted at

This reminds me of a post from Daily Kos today.

Again, we're familiar with the broad strokes of the Personal Responsibility Crusade: It's all on you, as an individual. Born into a poor family? Work hard and you'll make it! You worked hard and graduated from a good college, but with a lot of debt? Work hard and you'll make it! Why do you want health insurance? A Health Savings Account would be so much better, because you wouldn't be paying for healthcare you might never use. What, your daughter got sick and one month of her care wiped out your HSA? That's too bad, but I guess you should have been working harder and saving more. Keep working! It's still all on you!! (And your daughter, but we'll gloss over that part.)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Hahahaha, that's the capitalist economy for ya. ;)
Could almost be a debate topic… Noooooo! o_O
Still, I have to add one of those comments anyway, because that's how I am:

The thing that bugs me most about hyper capitalist culture is the fake Meritocracy; you're better so you earn more money; you earn more money so you must be better…

I once heard a radio show about business on BBC world of all places, and this presenter was saying: "I'm in a room with the smartest people in the world here. How do I know they're the smartest people in the world? Well they're all billionaires and they're all innovators and ideas men of business, people like Steve Jobs…"

I was dumbfounded. heh. He may as well have been saying: "I'm in the room with the brightest and best people in the world. How do I know? Well they're the crowned heads of Europe! Of the purest blood and finest breeding." There's a difference of being born into it (an increasingly slight one), and "earning" it, but in neither case does wealth and position indicate much outside the simple fact of its possession -(in regards to the character and "intelligence" of the person, that is, which is what people like to imply).

Posted at

Hey!!! We can fly on Condor to Frankfurt for only $1800! It can't be that hard to get from Frankfurt to Prague…

Posted at

As someone who's a year+ into marriage with no honeymoon yet on the horizon, I wish you good luck. ^_^

Unfortunately, all our travel money at the time went to getting me back to England to sort out Visa stuff. :(

Posted at

Poor people don't get honeymoons :(

Real poor people don't even get food.
…or internet.

Posted at

Real poor people don't even get food.
…or internet.

Really? Wow. I guess I'm not poor then. That's a relief. Can't wait to tell the Mrs. :)

:p

Jonko
Jonko
Posted at

Omg Hawaii would be a dream vacation!!!!!! But I guess your heart is set on Prague (don't blame you it's an amazing city). Whatever happens, I hope you guys have an amazing, romantic time :)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.