Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

So I'm curious about what sort of hobby everyone has in terms of collecting things such as swords, etc.

Feel free to post pictures too. =P

this was also kind of a excuse for me to post pictures of my weapons collection… once I get around to posting them ^^; I've had this urge to start setting up an weapon photo op of my collection soon, and I wanted to post the pictures somewhere. So hence this thread. :P

Won't be posting the pictures right now though… as seeing as I still have to yet to get good pictures of my collection. the pictures my mom took doesn't count, as seeing she's an terrible photographer… everything always comes out fuzzy or too dark, or something like that.

Anyway… moving on, here's my hobby–

I'm pretty much a collector of exotic or fantasy weapons. So far I have the following:

Chinese fighting fans–http://www.gungfu.com/htm-weapons/chinese-weapons/weapons-chinese-weapons-fighting-fans-kung-fu.htm
I've got five of them in blue and gold though, with an bird motif or just plain ones. Two of them also has those little spikes at the tips under the cloth part, I suppose as a way to make it deadly.

Sais, two of them– http://www.gungfu.com/htm-weapons/japanese-weapons/weapons-japanese-weapons-sais-octagon-chrome.htm

Dragon Escrima Stick, in black: http://www.gungfu.com/htm-weapons/filipino-weapons/weapons-filipino-weapons-escrima-sticks-rattan-dragon.htm

And here's what my family got me:
http://www.tulipcollectibles.com/263636/8764039.html-- an dragon-moif fantasy sword. it's listed as medieval, but the blade part looks Japanese to me.

http://www.tulipcollectibles.com/263193/8876062.html--The dragon dagger-knife one.

http://www.trueswords.com/dragon-castle-stunning-dagger-short-sword-p-4051.html--The dragon short sword.

Yep, my collection is really shaping up. =D

lba
lba
Posted at

I used to collect combat knives and folding knives. I only ever bought those which could withstand a heavy working life. I don't see a point in buying a fantasy knife that's got such a soft blade that it would just crumble if you were to sharpen it. I stopped after 2 moves across the country and multiple disappearances of some of my best working knives.

Recently, I've ended up collecting limited edition designer vinyl toys. I have 3 so far and I've got my eye set on a couple more I want once I have some disposable income. I just can't afford to spend $70+ on one at the moment. I also have a pretty large collection of stickers that I've made or been given as gifts. I have the mandatory comic geek comic collection too.

I don't know if you can call it a collectible thing, but I've got a stack of about 15 used spray cans that I've taken and custom painted just because I could too. I have no clue what I'm going to do with them now that they're done though.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I used to collect porcelain dolls when I was younger, but I ran out of space so I haven't gotten any in a while.
And lots of comic books, mostly Marvel.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Hey I've got a few old style weapons :)
I don't collect them though… Just ended up with them really, one way or another.
Like the sword I got as a gift, or the pistol crossbow (the bow part is fake, can't be used), The halberd I bought in order to hang a banner from it, the fencing sword that was found in a demolished building (it took a lot of careful repairing, it's not one of those bendy, light modern ones either, it's older), and a Finnish hunting knife.
————-

Hats. I DO actively collect interesting hats. And because I do actively collect them, the collection isn't that massive because I'm discerning. A lot get thrown back. I don't collect novelty hats or caps for instance, and I won't get a hat unless I absolutely love it. :)

Posted at

I have a passion for hats too! I just blow all my money on a great hat if I see one.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I'm just starting to collect hats…I have my silly, floppy, signature red one, a green winter one that goes over my ears and stuff(unfortunately I left it on the bus), and a smart green beret. Next I want either a bowler or a Sherlock Holmes type hat.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

I've, for the last year, been collecting comic book related material. Just extra comics, figures, posters, etc. I've had money to blow so why not. Mostly been focusing on Batman stuff, wanna try to collect some Spider-Man related things, get a few hardcover anthologies.

Posted at

I collect DVDs right now I have 984. It more of a cluttered mess more than a collection I'm always trying to organize my dvds the just get frustrated and leave stacks all over the place.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

I have 984.

Jesus Christ. I'm just gonna throw this out there, do you have Escape from L.A.?

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

Ha! I collect hats, too. Although I tend to customize them, wear them for a few years, then pass them on to friends. The next one I really want is an Victorian top hat, preferably with box included; I don't mind if it's a bit beat up, so long as it's wearable. But even the ratty ones tend to be pricey.

I collect religious paraphernalia: icons, holy cards, rosaries, etc. Also Dia de los Muertos stuff, Queen of Spades playing cards, broken watches, skeleton keys, bits of metal I find on the ground… uh, yeah. I'm totally a packrat.

Posted at

I collect Bionicle figures. I put them together, put them on a shelf, and don't think about them again until one of the cats knock one down.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

The next one I really want is an Victorian top hat, preferably with box included; I don't mind if it's a bit beat up, so long as it's wearable. But even the ratty ones tend to be pricey.
Like my black silk topper :)
Although it's probably more Edwardian… My mum picked it up for me in a Paris flea market last year, in its original box! It wasn't much over 100 euros. Excellent condition. I've seen bad ones online for over 500 pounds, so it was a pretty amazing find.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

Like my black silk topper :)
Although it's probably more Edwardian… My mum picked it up for me in a Paris flea market last year, in its original box! It wasn't much over 100 euros. Excellent condition. I've seen bad ones online for over 500 pounds, so it was a pretty amazing find.

Ah! I'm jealous! Flea markets are the best, though. I'm always hesitant about buying hats online- a lot of times folks don't size 'em correctly, especially the older ones. I've only got a few older hats, mostly from the 20's. I'd say the bulk of the collection is 50's/ 60's. This one's newer, but it's my current favorite:

(I had to "fancy" it up.)

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

My collectibles make up the cast of my comic.
Old picture:

And a pile more 1/6th scale action figures besides them:
(action figures= very poseable, dolls aren't poseable)

Someplace for them to hang out after hours:

Posted at

I collect fat cells, I keep them on my body so I always know where they are.

Posted at

I have 984.

Jesus Christ. I'm just gonna throw this out there, do you have Escape from L.A.?
Yes and Escape from NY

Posted at

as a kid I used to collect keychains, empty cigarette packages (as in the 80s you could still find very classy looking ones), empty cola cans (stopped when I saw a guy who had like a three layer "wall" off them on top of every piece of the furniture in his room), magazines (gaming/music/"art"/etc.), comics/graphic novels, books, audio cassettes, posters etc.

These days most of that stuff is gone and I just buy graphic novels and trades… and then sell them whenever I run out of money :P Oh well, if everything goes well I'll have to abandon most of my collection when moving anyway so whatever.

If I do move I plan on picking up lots of comics in hardcover/trade, kinky clothes and books written in english :D

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I've only got a few older hats, mostly from the 20's. I'd say the bulk of the collection is 50's/ 60's. This one's newer, but it's my current favorite:
Beautiful!
And I love 20's hats. I need a couple of cloches. Most definitely not for wearing though, just to have :)

My collectibles make up the cast of my comic.
They're amazing! Must be very difficult to get all those poses right and a nightmare to dress though.

I collect fat cells, I keep them on my body so I always know where they are.
I've been looking for some of those. What ever you bought them for, I'll pay double!

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

I collect art books from studios like Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks.

I also collect swords. And videogames. I never sell back my old videogames.

SarahN
SarahN
Posted at

I used to collect dolls and swords but ran out of room for them.
…..
No seriously, my room is scary.

I also have the geekiest pendant collection ever. Examples: I have a Nosferatu pendant, two pendants from Lord of the Rings, and Jareth's pendant from Labyrinth.

Senshuu
Senshuu
Posted at

I collect swords, dragons, and cool earrings. (My cool earring and sword collections are young.) Also, manga, if it counts. One day I'll collect original Japanese manga. (Also, I need to start collecting artbooks, seriously.)

I don't have much room for collections and yet…

Oh yeah, I still have a small collection (about 7) of Jurassic Park dinosaur toys. They're awesome.

json
json
Posted at

i collect action figures, primarily. g.i.joe (real american hero classic and 25th ann), star wars 12" and 3 1/4", TMNT, simpsons, LOTR, MotU classic, slasher film monsters. easily over 1000 action figures. i've never counted, but it's probably pretty pathetic when it comes down to it.

i also collect punk music. vinyl and cds. lots of rare out of press/print stuff. "ramones-rocket to russia" first pressing. "bad brains-pay to cum" first pressing 7" 1976 on white test wax….just for example.

i also collect NES games. i own over 200 games. and 6 consoles. i've traded around 50 games for my classic g.i.joe habit…..and still can't land a Zartan with Skiff.

Posted at

I collect Bionicle figures. I put them together, put them on a shelf, and don't think about them again until one of the cats knock one down.

I used to love those things. I believe at last count, I had about 80 or something. I don't remember, it was quite a while ago.
I used to love building them, and making my own creations and stuff. It was cool.

Now apparently I collect artist supplies. Because I end up getting one of everything. I have a random nib pen I don't use (it's not even the right nibs). And I end up getting new pencils a lot. Even though I don't use them.

I also collect comic books. I have a ton of random ones, but I also have specific ones. Such as Captain America, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc…

Sysli
Sysli
Posted at

Hmm, what I collect. I guess I could say hats as I have a few by now, but to me they aren't as much a collectible as an essential part of my wardrobe.

It's not enough for me to have a lot of an item to call it a collection, it has to be something you buy/pick up for no apparant reason other than the fact that you like it too.

Following that logic I collect "pretty" postcards. Movie tickets from movies i've seen and entrance tickets in general. The little paper slips from clothes. Errh…

Silly things really. The walls of my room is covered in things like that.
If I had the money I'd collect PVC figures from movies and comics I like. I've got a few (Jack skellington and one of the sets from mirrormask among others) but I wouldn't call it a collection yeet. And then there's my oldschool windup robots. I'd like more of those guys. But it turns out they actually cost a lot. Heh. I got mine more or less for free.

EDIT:
Totally forgot my slowly growing collection of plushies. Mostly consisting of obscure critters (Aardwark! Platapus! Armadillo!) extinct mammals (mammoths, smilodons and a woolly rhino among others) and a few dinosaurs too. I'm just a big kid at heart if you hadn't guessed.

ShinuZero
ShinuZero
Posted at

I collect anything Ninja Turtle related. I have crap from Genesis and SNES games to old books and action figures :D

small shrine I have

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.