Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Question

MeiChiLok
MeiChiLok
Posted at

Are Doujinshi's allowed on DrunkDuck? If you don't know what a Doujin is it is a fan comic based off another already existing and copyrighted story, like Deathnote or Pokemon.

Posted at

As far as I'm aware, yes it's allowed. To be on the safe side, make sure you make it clear it's a fan comic. As long as you don't claim someone else's work as your own, then it's all good. :)

Moving this thread~

.: Black Kitty :.

Posted at

So say I wanted to make a manga based on Half life 2… is that legal or are there copyright issues?

There probably are copyright issues since you're taking someone's creative property and using it without permission. However, we've allowed sprite comics on DrunkDuck in the past and we all know about the shakey legal grounds that sprite comics exist on.

Based on personal experience, the only time I ever came down on a comic account or contacted anyone is when they misled people (either intentionally or unintentionally,) into thinking that what they uploaded is completely their own original work. So as long as you don't claim someone else's work as your own (or mislead people into think it's your work,) then to me it's pretty much like sprite comics.

Don't take my word as legal advice though. I'm not a lawyer. :)

.: Black Kitty :.

Posted at

Technicaly, yes, it is. All fan works are a violation of UNited States copyright laws. It does not matter if you make money off of it or not, if you use someone elses characters or ideas in a way that does not fall under fair use (and most fan comics don't), it's illegal, and there are cases of people being sued over it.

For more information, check out : http://copyright.gov

However, as most of us have probobly observed on the internet, most authors and artists don't do much about it. It simply isn't practical or worth the trouble for them. Some artists encourage it and even see such works as free publicity. Others discourage it or even go after those who use their characters.

All in all, people do it all the time, most writers don't mind or will never find out. However, it's always best to be informed about the posibilities.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.