Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

R.I.P Billy Mays

Posted at

I thought I'd make a topic to honor the great Billy Mays.

TAMPA, Fla. – Billy Mays, the burly, bearded television pitchman whose boisterous hawking of products such as Orange Glo and OxiClean made him a pop-culture icon, has died. He was 50.

Tampa police said Mays' wife found him unresponsive Sunday morning. A fire rescue crew pronounced him dead at 7:45 a.m. It was not immediately clear how he died. He said he was hit on the head when an airplane he was on made a rough landing Saturday, and his wife, Deborah Mays, told investigators he didn't feel well before he went to bed about 10 p.m. that night.

There were no signs of a break-in at the home, and investigators do not suspect foul play, said Lt. Brian Dugan of the Tampa Police Department, who wouldn't answer questions about how Mays' body was found because of the ongoing investigation. The coroner's office expects to have an autopsy done by Monday afternoon.

"Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days," Deborah Mays said in a statement Sunday. "Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times."

U.S. Airways confirmed that Mays was among the passengers on a flight that made a rough landing on Saturday afternoon at Tampa International Airport, leaving debris on the runway after apparently blowing its front tires.

Link to the Article

It's really sad to see him go.
My brother and I would watch his commercials, and laugh, because of the very loud and kind of powerful way he introduced himself.
He's actually pretty cool.

So…

Rest in peace, Mr. Mays.

lba
lba
Posted at

Wow, they're dropping like flies. And it's not even the old celebrities like Hugh Hefner or whoever dying, it's a lot of younger ones.

Wasn't he just starting on a series about how he made his fortune prospecting and financing inventions, for the Discovery channel too?

Posted at

Billy!

NO!

Who will randomly interrupted my shows with your loud yet amazing advertisements of more products than I can count!

;(

R.I.P. Billy Mays.

What's with all the recent celeberity deaths?

Posted at

hmm…
i remember last year when we had a cluster of celeb deaths and everyone kept posting death posts on general discussion.

Larry
Larry
Posted at

I already did Mondays Comic but Tuesdays is going to include a Billy Mays tribute.

;_; Bye Billy, you were the only one I cared about!

Posted at

I thought the Shamwow guy would be the first to go. Life is full of surprises this week.

Chernobog
Chernobog
Posted at

This caught me quite off guard when I heard it earlier. He was an interesting fellow for his sheer expressive personality and definitely not someone I expected to go into the good night. But some things can't be helped, it seems.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

hmm…
i remember last year when we had a cluster of celeb deaths and everyone kept posting death posts on general discussion.
Yeah, it can get anoying.

Jackson I understand, but reality TV ad guys that are only known in the US, no.

-_-

I have a cold and feel crap. -_-

Larry
Larry
Posted at

Jackson I understand, but reality TV ad guys that are only known in the US, no.

In this topics defense, Billy Mays was the star of an internet meme, so his death wasn't just "US TV ad guy" as much as it was "internet star" dying.

;_;

Posted at

So Billy Mays was like an American Neil Burgess?

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

Was thinking about doing a billy mays parody in C++=D. Now I don't think I'll do it. I may, but I'll probably post it on the 5th.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Was thinking about doing a billy mays parody in C++=D. Now I don't think I'll do it. I may, but I'll probably post it on the 5th.

You could do it in his honor. May he rest in peace… :(

Posted at

I never liked him.

Hapoppo
Hapoppo
Posted at

I think the craziest thing about this whole thing, for me at least, is that I was actually planning on having a parody of Billy Mays on my next Punk-Pink!, as a bottle of "Mr. Skrubb". Now I'm wondering if that's even going to be appropriate…

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

I never liked him.

Not to detract from the sadness of a person's dying, but… neither did I. In fact, I always changed the channel momentarily when he came on. I expressly promised myself that I would never buy a product he was yelling about.

Hapoppo
Hapoppo
Posted at

Basically, he's the guy that looks like Al Borland and screams about how rad Oxy Clean is.

Posted at

I wonder if his show, Pitchmen, will stay on TV for all the taped episodes it had. Plus, will his son be taking over his infomercials instead, perhaps?

Posted at

I can see how others think he's annoying, but if you didn't mind his style (overly enthusiastic), you could see the guy had a ton of charisma. And he certainly meant the success of a lot of products. Strange as it sounds, most of the stuff I saw him selling was actually pretty good or useful which told me he put some thought into the stuff he was selling.

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

You could do it in his honor. May he rest in peace… :(
I think I will. I'd better get started on it though.

Posted at

If he had sold ShamWow, I might have bought some…

Rest in Peace, Billy. We're here for you even though everyone is only noticing Michael.

Sea_Cow
Sea_Cow
Posted at

Okay, when Heath Ledger died, I didn't have much to associate him with, so it was okay. Then David Carradine died, that was sad, but I could take it. Farrah Fawcett got it, but I don't even know who she was, so oh well. Michael Jackson was a shocker, but I could still handle it. Then I heard about Billy Mays, and I went home, and I cried.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.