Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
lba
lba
Posted at

Alrighty then. Since we filled up 242 pages of ranting ranting venting and sharing in 2009 (and what an amazing year of grumping, grouching and sharing it truly was. ) it's time to create a new one in the tradition demanded last year by Supreme Overlord Skoolmunkee. So, without further ado ladies and gentlemen, I want you all to help me bring in the New Year with a bang. I hope you're as excited as I am, so let's make this one longer, rantier, more sharing-y and now with new moaning and raving action!

Let the New Year of socializing and grumping begin!

Previous edition: 2009 Rant, Vent and Share

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Woo!

School starts again on Monday. :( Blaaaargh. I had an awesome vacation, I actually get WAY more done at home.

Posted at

Last few days of 2009. I flip through some chinese comics (well, from hongkong actually) and then find out they're making them at a 30+ pages a week pace. "That's insane" I think, after which I proceed thinking if it would be possible or a single person to achieve that kind of speed. A crazy experiment is born.

Midnight passes, it's 2010. I decide to write a script for that crazy idea. Six hours later, I have a rough draft with all the page breaks written down. Comes in at 34 pages.
Today, I sat down and rewrote it into a full script, changing one scene (compressing it a little) and modifying the ending, which resulted in 30 pages total.

Tomorrow and the day after await me the thumbnailing and designing phases. After that… after that should start the actual experiment! Seven days or as few as possible to draw 30 color pages and draw them as well as possible :D

(I'll be quite happy if I can fit it into two weeks)

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Thread title
The new rant thread needs to be in Roman numerals.
Rant/Vent/Share thread: MMX edition.

;_; No one ever listens to me….

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

School starts again on Monday. :( Blaaaargh.
Me too…ughhhh
Maybe because no one loves you! ;)

As for me, I spent news years with very serious family drama, while all my friends partied… woo…
Fortunately, I get to see all my friends Monday (:)) at school (:().

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

School starts again on Monday. :( Blaaaargh.
Me too…ughhhh
Maybe because no one loves you! ;)

As for me, I spent news years with very serious family drama, while all my friends partied… woo…
Fortunately, I get to see all my friends Monday (:)) at school (:().

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOCAJ!!!

how have i gone so long since the gym without showering? i smell so horrid…oh well, a warm shower and a cool bed outta be for a good nights sleep…

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOCAJ!!!
HOW DID YOU CHANGE MY B-DAY TO JANUARY 2!?!?
how have i gone so long since the gym without showering? i smell so horrid…oh well, a warm shower and a cool bed outta be for a good nights sleep…
;)

ramlama
ramlama
Posted at

Last few days of 2009. I flip through some chinese comics (well, from hongkong actually) and then find out they're making them at a 30+ pages a week pace. "That's insane" I think, after which I proceed thinking if it would be possible or a single person to achieve that kind of speed. A crazy experiment is born.
You'd be surprised what's possible. For a long time, my personal goal was to have a larger page count than Osamu Tezuka. I've since decided that sex was an important part of life and that I needed a little bit of diversity in my existence. Still, at the peak of it, I had several days where I'd wake up, pick up the pad of paper, draw all day, set it down, go to sleep, wake up the next day and try to repeat… only to realize I hadn't eaten or pissed. It wasn't healthy.

When you're on the verge of collapsing in a martial arts class, and the thought that keeps you on your feet is "I'm a cartoonist! This is nothing!", you may discover you've misplaced priorities somewhere along the line :-p

————

Oof. My new year begins on a thread of remarkable hopes- I sat down and penned out some business plans and made significant headway on some projects. The only downside so far (other than getting up in 7 hours for work)? Had the "We're starting to grow distant, and nothing we've done has changed it" talk with the lady friend about three hours ago.

Laaaaame. Also, I seem to live my life as though the only way I could get into heaven was by unanimous vote from my ex's >.>

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOCAJ!!!
HOW DID YOU CHANGE MY B-DAY TO JANUARY 2!?!?

when i posted that, it was still January 1st!! at least here it was.

it was also the midge's birthday.
——————-

Those are harsh talks ramlama.

bed!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

sex was an important part of life
No sex for you now! >:[

That's a shame man… But you always have comics. ^^

mishi_hime
mishi_hime
Posted at

my personal goal was to have a larger page count than Osamu Tezuka.

This is pretty impossible. Think of all the things he must have wrote and drew plus all his ideas that we didn't even get to see. No one can out draw the god of manga. shezzzzsh

Posted at

The IPRC was able to raise $8000 which along with an individual donation of $5000 through the Give Guide this year making this one of our most successful fund-raising years to date. We rule!

Posted at

You'd be surprised what's possible. For a long time, my personal goal was to have a larger page count than Osamu Tezuka. I've since decided that sex was an important part of life and that I needed a little bit of diversity in my existence. Still, at the peak of it, I had several days where I'd wake up, pick up the pad of paper, draw all day, set it down, go to sleep, wake up the next day and try to repeat… only to realize I hadn't eaten or pissed. It wasn't healthy.

When you're on the verge of collapsing in a martial arts class, and the thought that keeps you on your feet is "I'm a cartoonist! This is nothing!", you may discover you've misplaced priorities somewhere along the line :-p

Hah. You know? I wanted to do the same. Hint: to do so, you'd have to output around 10 pages a day on average… for forty ONE years (one year longer than he did). So instead I told myself "hey, you don't need to beat him, just join him in the highly exclusive "+100k pages club" he and a couple other Japanese artists are in." And if that doesn't work out? Just try beating Kirby, I think his total published output is at around 30k pages.
I'm still working on my first thousand, haha.

This is pretty impossible. Think of all the things he must have wrote and drew plus all his ideas that we didn't even get to see. No one can out draw the god of manga. shezzzzsh

One could if one had assistants, inkers, "speedliners", "screentoners" and/or colorists to work with you.

Oh hey, I have another one. Shotaro Ishinomori got the record for most comics published by one author for drawing 770 comics. That's 128k pages, which were collected later in 500 volumes. IF you make each of your comics a 30 page unrelated oneshot, you can reach that number within 23,1k pages. :D

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

My computer can't upload or download pictures from the internet :/ This is in IE and firefox and i've tried everything to make it work (temp folder clean, pde, reinstall, settings, etc)

I think i might have to take it into the geek squad.

Posted at

I'm just glad that this shitty year is finally over. Time for a new year and new opportunities.

Posted at

I didn't feel like making the new thread. Lucky you.

I think i might have to take it into the geek squad.
I wouldn't trust them. That's what someone I know did and they never got it back…in one piece (of course I'm exaggerating a bit but only a bit)

I played Super Smash Bros Brawl for 5 hours on new years. It's been a tradition with melee but now it's also with brawl

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Life at work became so much better. I dug out one of my ancient PC games (remember my laptop at work is from 2000) and played it. Being a good employee I still did my rounds religiously every hour and kept an eye on the cameras.
But the damn heat at work gives me a hacking cough and sore throat. It's a senior aprtment building! So US HUD wants all seniors to die faster of respiratory ailments.

Now that's a conspiracy for you to chew on. You heard it here first. NWO needs the useless seniors dead so they clog up the heat/cooling vents with old dust so they develop respiratory ailments and die.

With all that asbestoes I breathed in in elemetry and junior high I'm already on borrowed time. But I borrow it from unsuspecting Goths and Emos who are so obsessed with how awful life is they never notice it missing.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

I'm just glad that this shitty year is finally over. Time for a new year and new opportunities.

was 2009 good for anyone ?? all i hear is how crap it was . i didnt like it much myself , seeing as how i kinda almost died .wahha a . even worse , i said i was gunna make 1,000 pages and i only did 62 . pffft

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

i had an excellent 2009…..i didn't deploy anywhere, i didn't earn any extra money….however i learned that i was getting promoted this year!
—————

i'm not liking going back to work….my sleep schedule is way off, since i haven't had to go to the gym at 5 am everymorning…so i've been going to bed at 1, and sleeping till noon or nearbouts every day. the first couple day's are going to be rough.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Do you realise that's it's 4 years to the day EXACTLY since DD came back from the dead???!!!

It's in the join date under my avatar!
Dark days… but it was a glorious rebirth! Volte did us proud. ^__^

Posted at

Hah. You know? I wanted to do the same. Hint: to do so, you'd have to output around 10 pages a day on average… for forty ONE years (one year longer than he did). So instead I told myself "hey, you don't need to beat him, just join him in the highly exclusive "+100k pages club" he and a couple other Japanese artists are in." And if that doesn't work out? Just try beating Kirby, I think his total published output is at around 30k pages.
I'm still working on my first thousand, haha.

One could if one had assistants, inkers, "speedliners", "screentoners" and/or colorists to work with you.

Oh hey, I have another one. Shotaro Ishinomori got the record for most comics published by one author for drawing 770 comics. That's 128k pages, which were collected later in 500 volumes. IF you make each of your comics a 30 page unrelated oneshot, you can reach that number within 23,1k pages. :D

Man, all this talk is making me feel bad. What great artists have been really slow and have had a career of small output but are still widely appreciated? Jim Steranko? I'm thinking his overall body of comic work is limited and that he had deadline issues as well.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

Do you realise that's it's 4 years to the day EXACTLY since DD came back from the dead???!!!

Happy Join-day Ozoneocean. :)!
yea happy join day , oh wait , Now its my join day !!! weeeeeeee !!!!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Happy Join-day Ozoneocean. :)!
yea happy join day , oh wait , Now its my join day !!! weeeeeeee !!!!
Oh, we were both members for a few years before that. ;)

That's happy DD back from the dead day!! \^_^/

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.