Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Reason why DD loads so slow?

Ryushin
Ryushin
Posted at

It might be my internet, but I'd say my internet's pretty good, but why do pages on DD load so long? It takes 20 seconds sometimes to load up the front page, then 20 secons to load up -MyFavourites, then (sometimes) takes 10 seconds to get from one strip of a comic to the next.

Any explanation? I am curious

Posted at

I'm pretty sure it's just because of all the bugs and glitches in the site itself. Supposedly we will be getting a new and improved DD soon maybe things will be different.

blindsk
blindsk
Posted at

Besides the bugs and such, I'm sure site traffic is also a related issue, which is even more pronounced with the bugs. I just noticed that during the afternoon/late evenings the slow loading times occurs, and during mornings and the late night (also weekends) there's almost no loading time whatsoever.

Goes along with the idea that during "prime time" here, things get busy.

Posted at

I noticed a DD thread called "What is your earliest cogent memory?" and I was tempted to go there and type in, "clicking a link on DD and waiting for the page."

But I decided that such cynicism would be unworthy.

So I didn't do it.

Do I get points for self-control and respek and stuff?

mlai
mlai
Posted at

So I didn't do it.
Do I get points for self-control and respek and stuff?
No.
You should have gone in there and shared your wry wit with the world.
This is the internets and we do not condone humility and consideration.

Posted at

It might be my internet, but I'd say my internet's pretty good, but why do pages on DD load so long?
It's mostly a combination of the site content, the server and the traffic into it. This sight contains a massive, massive amount of data, stored in forms of pictures. Thousands of people are checking this site at any given moment, looking through pages upon pages of comics. The server then has to upload these pages, so that you, the viewer, can read them. Then you can take things like poor site codes making things worse into consideration.

You can look at it this way. Let's say your Internet connection is a car and the Internet itself is a highway system that lets you travel around the world, seeing all kinds of sights. Drunk Duck happens to be a spot that has tons of tourist traps, triggering tons of people to come an see them and linger around. On top of that, the roads system is poorly designed and thus it's easy for traffic jams to form. In this case, it doesn't matter how fast your Internet car is; you're still going to be stuck in traffic.

I'm also hoping that the upcoming site redesign is going to smoothen out the traffic.

blindsk
blindsk
Posted at

Did anyone order a trophy? Please, tell me someone got a trophy for this!!

therealtj
therealtj
Posted at

You can look at it this way. Let's say your Internet connection is a car and the Internet itself is a highway system that lets you travel around the world, seeing all kinds of sights. Drunk Duck happens to be a spot that has tons of tourist traps, triggering tons of people to come an see them and linger around. On top of that, the roads system is poorly designed and thus it's easy for traffic jams to form. In this case, it doesn't matter how fast your Internet car is; you're still going to be stuck in traffic.

I'm also hoping that the upcoming site redesign is going to smoothen out the traffic.
Not if your internet car can FLY!

Which, no, mine can't. But, man, that would be awesome.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

It loads slow because someone farted.

End of discussion.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.