Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

What's yours?

I'd imagine most of us have something that we just feel compelled to do by our own stupidity, in-spite of the crap that it causes for us. Whether it's drinking too much, chronic procrastination, getting into bad relationships, picking fights, eating too much, not eating enough, being lazy, gaming too much, smoking, or whatever…?

—————-
Mine:

My worst one, by far, since I get hung up on it constantly and always have, is not sleeping enough.
Pretty lame, I know, but it beats all the rest for me. I just put off going to bed.. and put it off, and put it off, continuing to work and watch and listen to things, read etc, and in the end have only 2 or 3 hours to sleep.
And I do that almost every day for the week and then over the weekend when I should be catching up, I celebrate the weekend by staying up till the next day and THEN sleeping in… finally. And because of the marathon awake times I get a severe migraine and end up losing the the rest of the weekend to horrible pain.

It's not insomnia, it's just ignoring the need to sleep. I ignore the need to eat too, but it's harder to say up if you don't eat!

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Mine is quite similar to yours, ozone.

I have a really good ability to just concentrate on one thing for ages - I've been that way since I was a small child.
However, when I'm concentrating on something I tend to forget just about everything else, in particular the basic needs of my body. I'll often find that I'm extremely hungry all of a sudden, and realize that I haven't eaten all day. Or I'll lose track of time and stay up way too late. Or I've neglected something else that was supposed to get done.
My dad often remarks that he thinks I wish I was just a brain without a body, which is pretty accurate.

Also I pick at my lips sometimes. Very bad habit.

Posted at

Well this is an embarrassing topic for me, but one of my self-destructive behaviors is thriving on humiliation so why not right?
I've been better than I have been, I've quit smoking and I drink less than I used to. I used to drink myself into a stupor every night, and a good amount of the time when I was more active on Drunk Duck I actually was drunk. There was even a point where I tried to freak out a kid that was annoying me on the light rail platform by stumping a cigarette on my wrist– it didn't work.

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

eating way too many calories. That and not drinking enough eater.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Same as ozone except without the sleeping in. I usually get about 3-5 hours never more than six.

Adariel
Adariel
Posted at

Is that the age bar talking already? I mean i could remember being able to sleep like 14 hours straight and still feel like its not enough. There's just so much i need to do in a day (non productive stuff mainly) that sleep also gets a back seat for me.

24 hrs in a day is not enough i tell ya.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Probably because you slept too much. I have never been able to sleep for more than 8 hours except for when exhausted.

Ice 9
Ice 9
Posted at

I’d have to say that my worst behavior is procrastination. A few weeks ago I said that I’d spend 12 hours a week drawing and haven’t sat down to do it in that time.

ramlama
ramlama
Posted at

Mine is quite similar to yours, ozone.

I have a really good ability to just concentrate on one thing for ages - I've been that way since I was a small child.
However, when I'm concentrating on something I tend to forget just about everything else, in particular the basic needs of my body. I'll often find that I'm extremely hungry all of a sudden, and realize that I haven't eaten all day. Or I'll lose track of time and stay up way too late. Or I've neglected something else that was supposed to get done.
I'm in the same camp. Now that I've graduated college and only have a part time job for external structure, I had to set alarms to remind me to eat and to go to sleep, and I had to be strict with myself- when that alarm goes off at 1pm, it's time to eat no matter what I'm in the middle of. I've slowly been training myself…

My dad often remarks that he thinks I wish I was just a brain without a body, which is pretty accurate.
I have an ex that used to say she'd worry about me if I was in a burning building, because she could see me sitting there seeing how long I could survive. Strange as it sounds, that kinda scenario has almost happened a time or two (albeit a little more indirectly, but still close enough to almost be life threatening).

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

well for the past few months i've been caught in a steady diet of coffee in the daytime and beer in the evening without much else in between except maby dinner at night and a few snacks. the result? so many nose bleeds i'm startin to look like a crack whore. firing out BOTH barrels some times.the sickly skin tone doesnt help with apperances neither. i think it's been thinin my blood and makin it pump faster. im in the process of correctin that now though, been drinkin more fruit juices and stuff instead and it already seems to be helping. was makin me cranky anyways…

..well…crankier.

i liked it so much cuz i'd feel like such a freight train afterwards, but that's gone away a bit. time to step back and show some fuckin control.

sama
sama
Posted at

Wow. I lot of us have the same problem. Is it just human nature to keep putting off things like sleep, or is it because we all create comics, and that somehow makes us easily distractable people?

I think wiki used to be quite bad for me. One moment you're reading aout the origins of Halloween, next moment- it's 4am and you're learning about how Koreans make their Kimchi fridges.

Adariel
Adariel
Posted at

and that somehow makes us easily distractable people?

quite an understatement on my case.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

too much of a good thing is a bad thing. I work out. a lot. the problem with that is, i never take breaks, until it's too late. My fear of regression in areas is more than my fear of an injury.

so i normally don't take breaks until i mess up something…say a shoulder, or sprain a metatarsal. then i'm forced to rest. and then my fears are realized as because of the injury, i've regressed in that area. then the cycle starts over

but i'm working on it.

binaryfaye
binaryfaye
Posted at

Mine would be taking on too many projects at once. For a while there I was working on my comic(which I kind of treat as my full time job) , home-schooling my daughter, babysitting, running errands for pretty much all my friends and family (cause apparently I just sit around at home all day)and then whatever project du jour my mother has at the moment (right now it's making a 4-H group….)

I need to stop saying "Oh, well if you need help with that give me a call." when someone's whining about all the stuff they have to do. I'm just trying to be polite. I just can't say no…

blindsk
blindsk
Posted at

Is it just human nature to keep putting off things like sleep, or is it because we all create comics, and that somehow makes us easily distractable people?

The sleep ordeal = me too. But in response to what you said, I don't really believe it to be human nature to keep putting it off. In my case at least, I force myself to stay up - most of the time I'm more focused during the late hours of the evening when it comes making comics or what have you. However, I'd never be able to do anything analytical during that time. Maybe that's where human nature comes into play.

If you asked my friends, they'd immediately say video games. A lot of my free time does go into gaming, but I feel I do a good job of restraining/limiting myself. I think it's because they're disappointed that I'd choose gaming on a Friday night rather than hitting up the clubs with them. It's not that I don't want to be social, it's that the clubs over here are pretty lame.

Posted at

When I get a new good game, I tend to lose the ability to sleep.

It's eight at night on a friday, right? I can go one more hour before going to bed. I look down at the game, then back up, and BAM, it's five in the morning.

Pokemon Black and White is coming out soon, so I may lose lots of sleep hours this coming March.

SarahN
SarahN
Posted at

chronic procrastination, being lazy,

These.
I've already kind of talked about this in another topic though so I'll just leave it at that. I've been really bad about it recently though. I just don't want to. do. anything.

Posted at

Being a fat arse.

Being an arse.

Wanting to put my dick in an arse.

Squirting shit out of my arse.

And being an arse.

Sadly there are no arse drugs for me to add there or else I would get to say arse again or something like that.

But yeah. I'm a real jerk when I want to be and I think it's going to get me killed one day.

Posted at

Being a fat arse.

Being an arse.

Wanting to put my dick in an arse.

Squirting shit out of my arse.

And being an arse.

Sadly there are no arse drugs for me to add there or else I would get to say arse again or something like that.

But yeah. I'm a real jerk when I want to be and I think it's going to get me killed one day.

You really sound like a guy I know. But he tends to be more of a dick than an arse. Same difference, more or less.

Faliat
Faliat
Posted at

I used to drink 7 or 8 cans of Diet Coke almost every weekday when I was 16.

I was competing against another student. He drank diet Irn Bru. Other mad stuff like that happened like when we both competed against each other to see who could shove the largest amount of plastic cups out of the water cooler in our mouths without choking. It was that kind of manic place where health and safety was lax. Was almost clonked on the head by falling garden tools.

Now I drink regular Pepsi most of the time. Lol. Aspartame dosage from what I used to drink has probably scrambled my brain so badly that remembering things short term is a crapshoot.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

Unfounded paranoia.

Just awhile ago there were some 10 year old kids or so in the elevator just striking up a friendly conversation with me.

At the back of my mind as if my hand was on the "fight" switch or something (I do not "flight". Being able to last 15 minutes in a ring vs a bigger, more experienced MMA fighter sure killed my fear. lol).

I somehow feared they will gang up on me and attack me any moment.

This is stupid. For who knows if I'da snapped and hurt one or more of these kids just for a misperceived threat of "saying the wrong thing" or "looking at me the wrong way" or something.

Sure. Blame it on past experiences. Like that time when a pack of kids threw stones and other stuff at me in the pool just for the hell of it that I just had to scream and chase them off. And that time when I almost got jumped by 2 black dudes and had to take out my concealed blade in the keychain…

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Unfounded paranoia.

Sure. Blame it on past experiences.

I think I would blame that on schizophrenia, actually.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Insane…

—————-
My other one is picking at the dry skin on the ends of my fingers around the nails… picking till they bleed and more. And not stopping- ending up with every finger stinging with pain.

Which, when it heals goes dry and pickable again…

I try and short circuit the cycle by using moisturiser occasionally to treat the healed skin and keep it soft and using nail clippers to get rid of any obvious stuff I'd be likely to pick, but that only works so long as I don't let my mind wonder too much and start automatically picking again. >.<

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

Unfounded paranoia.

Sure. Blame it on past experiences.

I think I would blame that on schizophrenia, actually.

So you're a mental health professional now?

Here's a little tidbit on how the human mind gets programmed.

You heard of Pavlov's dogs? The bell got connected to the food that they salivated. Long story short, the dogs would salivate whenever the bell rang.

So when you:
- got ganged up on by kids and had rocks and other stuff thrown at you
- almost got jumped by 2 black dudes
- had 7 white guys in the cafeteria go "hey brown guy the fuck you doing here?!?" as they stared at me with dirty looks like they're gonna beat me up
- I can go on and on with more examples.

How do you think your mind will be programmed?

From what I know, its either you become totally passive and with low self esteem and believe that theres something wrong with you just because you are and then you start harming yourself or worse… killing yourself.

Or… you start getting the sense that everyone is out to harm you… and you have the tendency to over-react over the slightest perceived threat that you MAY become a potential danger to others around you.

Knowing is half the battle.

And the other half is de-programming your mind or "installing" new "programs" which can be done by methods like neuro-linguistic programming or hypnosis (more spiritual avenues like meditation, energy healing or going "I accept Jesus as Lord and Savior!!! Jesus deliver me from evil!!!"… may be argued as forms of hypnosis or NLP).

Psychotherapy (theres Gestalt, Spiritual, and the more secular Sigmund Freud type…) maybe…

Psychiatry HELL NO because psychiatry = epic fail. :)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I started picking my fingers again while reading that :(

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.