Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Slang or Chav?

Sayomi
Sayomi
Posted at

My brother tells me that certain words I say aren't words, but hey, he's an English literature student. Do you think these words are completely chavvish? Everyone in my class - and I'm in the top group - says this now and it sounds stupid.
Yo
Bubs
Babez
Lol

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yo as a form of greeting is related to much older forms like "Ho", which even medieval knights would say.

Bubs comes from a childish way of talking about children. Deriving from "baby". In the early 20th Century it was used as a patronising way for older children to refer to classes of younger kids in British public Schools.

Babez.. The derivation is obvious. Referring to women as "babes" come from the 1960s at least. Replacing the S with a Z is pretty pointless though.

LOL has of course become an acronym, like Laser, or radar: initially an intialisim, it is now a word in of itself with the same meaning that its parts stand for.
I still find it face-punch worthy when someone says LOL instead of simply just LAUGHING, but what can you do? The English language is always changing.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

LOL has of course become an acronym, like Laser, or radar: initially an intialisim, it is now a word in of itself with the same meaning that its parts stand for.
I still find it face-punch worthy when someone says LOL instead of simply just LAUGHING,
lmao

sorry.

I agree.

Dodger
Dodger
Posted at

It's like I'm really in England!
Or Australia….
Or any other country that uses the term Chav.

I'm still not 100% sure what a Chav is. : |
I've had my British friends try and explain it to me and I still don't understand the rage the term seems to induce.

Sayomi
Sayomi
Posted at

It's like I'm really in England!
Or Australia….
Or any other country that uses the term Chav.

I'm still not 100% sure what a Chav is. : |
I've had my British friends try and explain it to me and I still don't understand the rage the term seems to induce.
Me neither, I guess, but if I had to define it i would say a teenager who is probably in a group - or a gang - wears hardly any clothes (for girls) and hoodies (for boys) and speaks with bad langauge (as in swear words and rubbish grammar) and chews gum and causes trouble.

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

A lot of slang depends on what part of England you're in. I've never heard bub(s) except from Wolverine or babez with a Z. Just reminds me of Dragon Ball for some strange reason.
LOL is okay when written. It sounds stupid when said in the middle of a conversation.

Yo, however is perfectly fine and can be used at any time. Just one at a time.

blindsk
blindsk
Posted at

At least you don't have to deal with "bro" or "brah." Gawd I can't wait for those to go out of style. I'm saying "dude" a lot more to bring that one back!

Posted at

Yo, however is perfectly fine and can be used at any time. Just one at a time.
Yo yo yo, What'chu talkin' 'bout?

A Reaver
A Reaver
Posted at

Brap brap brap! Lack well good, innit bruv!? You disrespectin?!

These words cause me to have a tiny little haemorrhage just around the Medulla Oblongata.

But atleast its not as bad as Northern Irish chavs.
Count the words you can actually understand.

I have to put up with this every day.

BffSatan
BffSatan
Posted at

Most, in fact all, words were at one time not words.
So your brother's wrong in saying that they're not words. Words are just any form of spoken or written communication. Language is simply a name to put to various collections of words. Languages are not in any way self-defining.

DAJB
DAJB
Posted at

[…] much older forms like "Ho", which even medieval knights would say.
I know it's not what you meant, but this conjured up a mental image of a Mediaeval knight referring to his lady-love as a "ho"!

Launcelot and Guinevere in the hood. Now there's an idea for a comic!

Dodger
Dodger
Posted at

At least you don't have to deal with "bro" or "brah." Gawd I can't wait for those to go out of style. I'm saying "dude" a lot more to bring that one back!

BRO WHATS UP?

blindsk
blindsk
Posted at

BRO WHATS UP?

It burns my eyes!!

Posted at

hahaha don't come to Australia, we've got far too many words that aren't words, Chav is one of them, and I THINK (stressing that I THINK) its a stupid person here.

But there's also:
-Gallah (stupid person again)
-Mufti (meaning Normal Clothes on a school day)
-Dunny (Toilet braaaahh)
-Eshaayz (I've only ever heard Lads say it here, and it apparently means 'friend' )
-Lads (Gangs of guys who think they're 'fully sick, bro' )
-Cane (Its a word yeah, but the use is different, here it means something really hurts IE. "OUCH MAN, that was sting frickin' CANES!!!" )
-Fricken'/Friggin'/Freakin'
-Prick
-Ponce
-Slag
-Slurry
-Shank

Posted at

woah, my post made itself instantly awkard by making lots of winky faces. D:

Posted at

woah, my post made itself instantly awkard by making lots of winky faces. D:
It's a silly bug in the emote code that annoys me to no end. The winky is supposed to pop up when you put ; and ) together but for some reason the winky also appears when you use the " symbol or the ' symbol next to the ) thing. Putting a space between the symbols removes them, like I've now done for your post.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

I've stopped laughing. I say "lulz" and not loudly. not with a smile. just lulz

and that irishman, i caught about four english words in there. one was the name of the bottle he was holding. "morgan" i assume capt. morgans spiced rum.

Posted at

The winky is supposed to pop up when you put ; and ) together but for some reason the winky also appears when you use the " symbol or the ' symbol next to the ) thing. Putting a space between the symbols removes them, like I've now done for your post.

I thought it was something like that, annoying bug indeed, now anyone who glances at that post of mine might think it contained some innuendo of some kind. :(

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

You sure that the chav isn't mimicing the old Monty Python "Man who speaks only the first syllable of words" skit?

Or maybe that's the origin of the skit.

Remember that cockney slang bit from Austin Powers between Michael Meyers and Michael Caine?

In American Slang "Yo" may not be related to "Ho" It could be the Spanish pronoun as it is classically used in place of "Me" in rollcalls. It might have started around the time so much other Spanish lingo came into the American Venacular; the Mexican-American War. It was at least in existance by the ACW. Or that's what those reinactors and Civil War Historians would have you believe. Of course drill sergeants will have you believe it's Chinese for "here" and originated during the building of the western railroads among rollcalls of Chinese workers. It may be an Algonquin word for "here" according to one recent recreation of that language.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

hahaha don't come to Australia, we've got far too many words that aren't words, Chav is one of them, and I THINK (stressing that I THINK) its a stupid person here.
"Chav" is a recent import from Britain. There it apparently comes from the Romany language and means "child".

BTW, welcome fellow Aussie :)

But there's also:
-Gallah (stupid person again)
-Mufti (meaning Normal Clothes on a school day)
-Dunny (Toilet braaaahh)
-Eshaayz (I've only ever heard Lads say it here, and it apparently means 'friend' )
-Lads (Gangs of guys who think they're 'fully sick, bro' )
-Cane (Its a word yeah, but the use is different, here it means something really hurts IE. "OUCH MAN, that was sting frickin' CANES!!!" )
-Fricken'/Friggin'/Freakin'
-Prick
-Ponce
-Slag
-Slurry
-Shank
-"Gallah" is just the normal name for the common pinky and grey cockatoos. I think it's aboriginal in origin. That's been used for silly people for a loooong time. Well over 100 years.
-"Mufti" comes to us via the British raj , the colonial army that used to be stationed there, it's based on an old Hindi word, like so many others. The British army popularised its use as a term for soldiers in civilian clothes or "civis".
-"Dunny" comes from an old English word for toilet.
-"Lads" is another old British word used a lot in modern slang there now, so it's use in that particular fashion is another import.
-"Cane", comes from the old practice of corporal punishment in schools (outlawed since the early 80s in Australia) where a student would be spanked with a cane.
-"Fricken'/Friggin'/Freakin'" imported American safe ways of saying… :) But "frig" is also an old British synonym for it anyway.
-"Prick" very old British term for a penis or stuck up person.
-"Ponce" very old British term for a stuck up person.
-"Slag" Ordinary term of course for congealed refinery waste like molten steel… The current meaning is a more recent import from Britain, it's a synonym for "slut", but also now used as a term for any undesirable person.
-"Slurry" Ordinary term meaning a mushy mixture, mostly liquid… I don't know the slang meaning.
-"Shank" Old term referring to part of a leg or any sharp pointy bit of metal, especially those that are part of attachments that fit into wooden handles… Not sure of the slang meaning, but it's probably something like shiv (home made knife) and can be used as a verb as well.

therealtj
therealtj
Posted at

I disagree with your bro-spective their bro.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Fuck me, I live in North England, which is like the breeding ground for chavs. It's their natural habitat.

Basically if I wanted to get from North England to Central England, I could walk across a stupid tracksuit jacket or half-on-their head baseball cap all the way there without ever touching the ground.

God damn it now my blood is boiling just thinking about those plebs, thanks a lot.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

Fuck me, I live in North England, which is like the breeding ground for chavs. It's their natural habitat.

Basically if I wanted to get from North England to Central England, I could walk across a stupid tracksuit jacket or half-on-their head baseball cap all the way there without ever touching the ground.

God damn it now my blood is boiling just thinking about those plebs, thanks a lot.

That actually sounds like the "gangsta's" we have here. are the hats new and brims unbent?

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.