Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Volte6
Volte6
Posted at

Hey everyone, playing with a new design idea! Looksie!

crocty
crocty
Posted at

I dunno, I like the blue background thingy…

lba
lba
Posted at

I like it. It looks like a much easier to use interface.

DD has been needing an over haul for a while now. This is awesome.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

The images from the comics are more eye catching but its a bit overwhelming visually.

alejkhan
alejkhan
Posted at

I agree with TheMidge. It's very crowded! Having some kind of border or deliniation between the various comic stuffs and the adverts would be nice. Other than that, I think it has the look of awesome about it.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

I think I agree with Midge here.
Perhaps the lists could be dropdown menus…
I hope these changes'll fix some bugs.
(P.S, disregard that PQ I sent you, I was mistaken ;_;)

amanda
amanda
Posted at

Wow, that will be a fun change! I like the ideas, but I agree that there should be some sort of border around the sections.

Neilsama
Neilsama
Posted at

It's like being assaulted with images. I think it's a bit overwhelming and not nearly as friendly as what you have right now.

No sir. I don't like it.

crazyninny
crazyninny
Posted at

Meh, I don't like all the whiteness and adds.

D0m
D0m
Posted at

Looks wicked, but I think the ads are a bit much.

Will the trophy situation be taken care of, too? -Cough-

dueeast
dueeast
Posted at

It's an improvement, and I think a change would be good for the site…but the white is blinding and the ads seems a bit much. Having a choice between thumbnails and a list would be good! :)

Luminous
Luminous
Posted at

I think it looks awesome, though some borders between the sections would be nice. Maybe blue borders in one of the shades on the current homepage. :)

Judging from the first image, it looks like the hovering comic description is being brought back and improved upon, which is awesome. The filtering looks like a cool addition too.

Posted at

It looks bad all compressed like that but I'm sure the final would be more spaced, right? Maybe the thumbnails should be part of the rollover description.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

i reiterate what others say about the spacing…

Dragonizer
Dragonizer
Posted at

It looks bad all compressed like that but I'm sure the final would be more spaced, right? Maybe the thumbnails should be part of the rollover description.

Agreed.

But if it'll be like it's shown, then no, I don't like it. Too much, with the images and all.

UltimaXG2
UltimaXG2
Posted at

Looks a little cluttered, but I don't mind. Reminds me of a mac, kinda… And I don't know why…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

The sidebar, with your faves and links to your own comics etc., is collapsed by default into just the grey bays with the names on "My Comics" "My Favourites" "My Comic News". When you visit the front page you can click them to expand them down. You have to do that each time. In the faves list you have choices of viewing only those updated this week, in the last 30 days, or all of them. ^_^

Heh, well news is pretty much absent from the current version of that design- you have a link to it in your sidebar.

I agree with TheMidge. It's very crowded! Having some kind of border or deliniation between the various comic stuffs and the adverts would be nice. Other than that, I think it has the look of awesome about it.
You have three lists of ten comic thumbnails- the most viewed, Newest updated, and a random list drawn from ALL comics at DD. On a mouse-over the comic's full author description is displayed. You can filter them ALL to show only the types of comic you like to see- as long as they've been given the right categories by their creators. ;)
That system works well, but border lines between the lists WOULD be a great idea, because they do tend to look merged.

The white is mostly really nice, brighter and friendlier than the dark blue and red, but again, something to separate and delineate the front page content block from the outside of the page would be good visually.

UltimaXG2
UltimaXG2
Posted at

Now that you have given more detail, I say full steam ahead. This looks pretty amazing. Sounds like it's a lot easier to use.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I like the basic idea/design. It seems like there's just a wall of same-dimension images, though, which isn't all that visually appealing. Borders would help for sure, and I'm not too keen on the white. It's too… blah/generic. Even a light gray or other really subtle light neutral would probably look a little better. Or having different shades of gray or some other color for the backgrounds for the different sections would take care of the cluttered feel and the white blah.

I wonder if "The Rack" could be a text link list with the thumbnail and description on the mouse-over… That might help break up the "wall o' thumbnails" effect. *Shrugs*

(I'm all for brightening up the color scheme, but plain white all over just doesn't look that great, imo.)

The hover stuff is cool. I really like the favorites list too. As for as all the concepts and stuff, it's really great. (It's kinda sad to not have the news on the front page, but I could live with that. ;) )

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

I find placing a thick black border around an image really sets it off and in the menagerie of images shown would help a great deal. the practical aspects which Ozone outline sound great I guess it needs fine tuning in its aesthetics.

Posted at

I agree that there needs to be some sort of background color. I don't like the white as it makes the page look really unfinished and unpolished. I had figured it was an in-progress thing but maybe that's the way it had been planned?

The admins have been able to mess with this layout for a week or so. I didn't like the thumbnails at first, but now I really like them. I've found a bunch of interesting comics this way.

Posted at

I love the thumbnails, but agree that everything looks kind of cramped right now. A colored background (or at least some color separators between the rows of thumbnails) would really help to space things out, I think. Maybe even a grey line the same color as the one that says "the rack" extending down between each section would help to separate them a little bit?

I dunno. Did I mention I love the thumbnails, though? :D

Posted at

That screen shot looks very very busy….

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.