Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

So my comptuer's getting too old and senile....

Posted at

So my comptuer's getting too old and senile….

I keep on putting fresh ram into it and making sure that I have plenty of space to keep things running smoothly. I also make sure that there's no viruses that could bog down the pc.

but…. lately that isn't even enough at all for my computer. it's became so slow and laggy, despite all that I do for it.

So I guess it's time to retire my grandpa computer and put it to bed. which means that I need a new computer!

This time around, I'm thinking of getting myself an custom-made computer.

I tend to have a lot of needs– not only do I have to run photo shop to work on my comics… but I tend to play around with 3d software, render, etc. I also play videos and edit them to make gifs off them. AND…. I tend to have a LOT of PC games!

The movies, The Sims 2, Morrow wind, Etc…..

so of course this means I need a LOT of space, as well as shitloads of ram. I need one that has an good video card, graphics card, etc…

So to all those people out there who has custom-made PCs, do you know of any good sites where I could get something like that?

Gillespie
Gillespie
Posted at

I have a friend who has some custom computers. I'll talk to him about it for ya. I know he has something like 4 processors, top of the line stuff.

JoeL_CQB
JoeL_CQB
Posted at

here's what i want for my new computer set up. or had.

i'm thinking either this, or a mac pro. so either $1600 or $6000
this list is also a bit dated, it was made december 2008.

-Thermaltake SwordM VD500LBNA - $250
liquid cooling, it helps with the dust. i used to use fans, until one time, my cpu heat sink got really clogged and it was a pain to clean out. not necessary though.

-Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - $250

- 2x SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 - $145 ea.
two for bridging. my current graphics card takes up 3 slots, because the manufacturer's fan sucks and i had to install an aftermarket one.

- KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX - $260
power supply, pretty important

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz - $325

- 2x Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 - $75 ea.
2 for 8gb of ram.

- Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3500320NS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s - $90

and re-use my 1tb storage hdd.

hope the list helped in finding what you were thinking.

and i want to run 32gb of ram just because. i probably won't notice much unless i'm working on huge formats.

and my cheaper option is to just replace my current cpu with a core 2 duo, that'll probably extend it's usability for another few years. the thing is about 6 years old and running vista ultimate, and it surprisingly runs smoothly.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

It generally best not to go for top of the range, even when you can afford it.- You pay a LOT more for stuff that's not that much better than the next most expensive. And the stuff one or two steps down is dramatically cheaper and usually less buggy than the bleeding edge best.

Anything you can get for a Mac you can pretty much get for any other PC, but cheaper.

The two most important things are performance and reliability. And they're often at odds…
I'd always bought custom PCs with performance in mind, and would eventually run into reliability issues that were a pain in the bum. With my latest main comp I actually got a big Dell gaming PC instead, going for reliability this time. And it's worked wel, I haven't had to do anything to it internally yet. :)

I would've paid a lot less if I'd have gone custom, but it works and that's what's important.

JoeL_CQB
JoeL_CQB
Posted at

The two most important things are performance and reliability. And they're often at odds…
I'd always bought custom PCs with performance in mind, and would eventually run into reliability issues that were a pain in the bum. With my latest main comp I actually got a big Dell gaming PC instead, going for reliability this time. And it's worked wel, I haven't had to do anything to it internally yet. :)

I would've paid a lot less if I'd have gone custom, but it works and that's what's important.

a refurbished sony vaio cost around the same as buying the parts and building it yourself.
but that was like 7 years ago.

i don't know if it's the same now.

i also tend to use the intel motherboards, which are more expensive, since they haven't given me any issues unlike the other brands that i've tried.

maybe sometime in the future, when i get a new computer, i'll convert my current computer to run os x.

lba
lba
Posted at

I just bought a HP Pavillion dv6000 entertainment laptop with a centrino duo processor and upgraded the ram to 4gb. It's served me incredibly well and handles just about anything I can throw at it including vector work with about 1,000,000 paths. I'm planning on upgrading to the 64-bit vista soon so I can really take advantage of all that ram instead of the 3gb it actually really uses. The only downside I've run into with it is that my particular model has an integrated graphics and video card which means those can't be upgraded from what I've been told. But that wouldn't be an issue with the next level up of laptop which doesn't have an integrated card.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

I custom-built my PC with a cost of around $500 for the parts.

- AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.71 GHZ
- 2 gigs of ram
- 256 MB video card (ATI Radeon HD 2400 series)
- 500 GB hard drive

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

4 GIGS OF RAM OR VISTA WONT RUN MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT

bongotezz
bongotezz
Posted at

i got all my parts from newegg.com. of course you'll have to build it yourself. i spent about $1000 for my parts and ended up with a quad core pentium, 4 gig of ram 2 terabyte drives, a kick ass mainboard, a 768 MB video card and a 750 watt power supply. the rest of the parts came from my last computer. if you can build your own i reccomend newegg. unless you're not from the US.

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

My friend got his computer from Digital Storm. He says they have the professional quality of Alienware combined with small-company customer service.

Posted at

Mine is old and senile aswell.

But I have a cure!

I need a new graphics card. Preferably a newer Nvidia model.

But alas! Best Buy and Future Shop are with out my needs!

CURSES!

Posted at

I've put together a fair share of computers over my life. You could technically say that I've haven't replaced my computer in 10 years although it's definitely not the same machine it once was. Over time I've repeatedly replaced things like the motherboard, ram, hard drives, graphics card, sound card, fans, etc.

There's one thing from the original computer that I've kept for sentimental value. My good old trusty 3.5 floppy drive.

worstcase
worstcase
Posted at

AND…. I tend to have a LOT of PC games!

The movies, The Sims 2, Morrow wind, Etc…..

I have all of those. I had to uninstall the movies and the sims 2 (every expansion pack…*sniff*) because my ancient dell compy is literally dying. Like, i swear its oozing strange liquids right now.

Oh wait that was a lie.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.