Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Starbucks tests the $1 "short" brew

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

Article HERE

Starbucks, the company that popularized the $4 cup of coffee, is testing a $1 cup and free refills of some of its offerings.

The Seattle coffee giant is experimenting with selling the $1 "short" brew in its hometown area, spokeswoman Valerie O'Neil confirmed.

The 8-ounce short size isn't on Starbucks' menu but has long been ordered by in-the-know patrons. Typically, a short brewed coffee would sell for about $1.50, although that can vary by several cents depending on the store.

Starbucks is also testing the offer of free refills for traditional brewed coffee in the Seattle area.

O'Neil wouldn't elaborate on the specifics of the tests or say how many stores are offering it. She said the tests aren't indicative of any new business strategy.

The $1 test undercuts even low-cost coffee purveyors, including McDonald's and Dunkin' Donuts, whose coffees generally start in the low $1-plus range.

Although most sit-down restaurants top off customers' coffee free, specialty cafes have largely stayed away from the practice.

Croi Dhubh
Croi Dhubh
Posted at

If I was into the whole coffee thing, this would be cool

Croi Dhubh
Croi Dhubh
Posted at

Wouldn't it be one pound there, then? That is expensive anyway, given the conversion rate. That's something like $2.25 right now

Posted at

We have to specifically ask for a "short" here. They don't have it on the menu. but a short latte costs the same as a kids hot chocolate, so I'm good with that.
It would be awesome if it were a dollar though…

Posted at

The cheapest I can buy a coffee for - anywhere - is a pound fifty. Bottom line.

@Serious: It's the opposite for me. I have to ask for a tall…usually several times. I've seen things floating at the bottom of my fishtank that look more lively than the staff at my local.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.