Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Surfing recommends and avatars

Posted at

Anybody ever do that? In the forums I'll often click on an avatar to see what and how many comics or strips a person has and whether or not they seem interesting. But what about those recommends?

There's some fascinating stuff in those 'R' blocks. It's also interesting to see how often the recommends reflect the artistic interests of the DDer. Anyway I've had a great deal of fun and some surprising discoveries surfing other people's recommends listing.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

I did that when I very first came here, mainly to see if my own comics was on anybodies list, and found some cool ones. After about 18 people or so you realize they all list the same ones (the popular ones with nice art, etc) But it's how I found 'white noise' and 'CAT' :)

Posted at

Yes, similarly I expected to get tired of it, but it's become a habit. I also keep looking through the 'Quail's Random' listings on the DD main page on the off chance that there's something really great that might turn up there.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

I like checking out people's "recommends", as well as the Quail's Random, too. But I also have a tendency to log in "real quick" to check my messages or something, and then start surfing around, looking at random comics, or deciding I need to read all 500 pages of this or that comic right now… three hours later I'll be like, "Oh. I was supposed to be drawing, wasn't I? Crap." :robo:

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

I do that occasionally, too, as well as quail's random.
I have found some good stuff, but I usually get the best surfing newly updated, because quail's random tends to give me dead comics.

Posted at

I hear you Hyena H_ll. Getting distracted and terminally off track is a way of life with me. I was hoping that I'd grow out of it with age . . . but NOPE!

Bocaj, I don't mind the abandoned strips or comics as long as there are at least thirty or so pages to look at.

DAJB
DAJB
Posted at

My "official" Recommend List is zero (so no point checking my profile page for that!)

I found the list became too long to keep an eye on, so - for updates - I've now saved a bunch of search parameters and search on those daily instead. I also find I miss fewer updates this way. (The DD Alerter seemed to miss far more!)

I do add a small number of recommends to my comic pages, though. Some of those are the bigger names, obviously, but I especially like to add those that I think others might not have discovered yet. I feel they're more likely to be noticed as part of a small select list, rather than as part of a list containing 40 or 50 titles.

Posted at

Good ideas DAJB. I'm keeping my recommends list at twelve. What I will do is cycle some on and off as I find now strips or comics of interest.

Peipei
Peipei
Posted at

I've actually stumbled upon most of the comics I read now by doing that. Quail's random has also brought me to a few comics. I have several comics on my recommends list but I haven't had the chance to update it for months xD. I usually just refer to the users on my friends list to get back on updates xD.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I do that to look for features…

Posted at

Ahhhh . . . we have a versatile system. I am fascinated by what a person's recommends list sometimes suggests about the DDer's tastes in strips and comics.

Senshuu
Senshuu
Posted at

I do this sometimes now, and more often I browse people's favorites on deviantArt. I love it when I find someone with the same tastes as me. :D

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

I mostly click on someones avatar if they say something that interests me, or have an interesting picture.
Then I go and see if they wrote any interesting comics.
I must admit to only looking on peoples reccomend lists to see if I am on there (Yes, I'm ashamed of my vanity, but at least I own up to it!)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.