Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

The Good, The bad, and the ugly: Looking for volunteers/contributors.

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

Comic Genesis has a now defunct comic called How Not To Run A Webcomic. The idea was a few people would critique submissions made by the community. There were several categories that were pretty broad and they would accept submissions for each category until they had exhausted, or felt like they exhausted, all the possibilities. I know this sounds like I'm trying to rip off a comic from ComicGenesis, and I am, but I believe we can do better than they could and make this project go a lot further than they could. I already have two ideas for improvement over their model:

1) All categories have a set time limit. This will prevent us from having to process submissions for categories that we are not focusing on. I was thinking a month for submissions as well as a list of upcoming submissions so contributors have plenty of time to compile a submission.

2) The first half of the month will have bad examples, the second half will contain good examples. This is one area that they fell short on. While each category had plenty of bad examples, they never had any good examples. I believe that it is important to have both so that people can understand what you're talking about.

There will be some rules for submissions.
1) it must be on topic. Any thing off topic will be ignored and probably deleted from the reviewer's inbox. More than likely we'll revisit categories as time goes by. If you do submit something during a revisiting, please make it different from the older submissions. this will help cut down on the "beating a dead horse" that they suffered from.

2) it must be your own work. While you can suggest other people's work you must get them to let us know that it's okay to use it. You can submit either material from your own works or something that you made specially for this.

3) No bashing other peoples' styles, comics, stories, and etc. I hope this goes without saying, but just in case. We're trying to promote good webcomicing practices, not tear other people down.

4) Be prepared for an honest review. Not really a rule, but more of a warning. We will be brutally honest during both phases of each category. If you submit something for the good example phase, it'll probably be judged harder than if it was submitted during the bad example phase. We expect bad during the bad phase, so we want everything to be perfect during the good phase.

5)No whining about not getting you're submission put up/having your submission ripped apart/why we are such jerks. Goes hand in hand with the above. We will be brutally hinest in our critique. This isn't to make you feel bad, this is to help you improve as a comic artist/writer.

6) NO COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL! Unless you own it, or you have the owner send us permission to use it, we will not post it. period.

If you notice that I kept saying "we" instead of "I." The reason is simple. I am looking for at least one person to assist me in this endeavor. There are some requirements, however:

*Must have a good grasp of writing or art, preferably both. You don't have to be a master, you just have to be reasonably good.

*Must be willing to work on a deadline. I would like to get everything up with in five weeks of starting the topic (that month plus another week). This will let us have a steady stream of updates, I would really hat to see this die.

*Must be able to send and receive PQ's. No if's, and's, or but's on this one. All submissions will be through PQ and you'll need to be able to PQ the others submissions you receive as well as your critique.

*Must be willing to accept criticism. I'm not going to ask others to do what I am not willing to do, so I will be putting my comic(s) up for review by the people who assist me and those who submit content for this. I hope that you're willing to do the same.

That's about it. Let me know if you're interested or if it's a good idea. reply to this topic and if you have questions, I'll do my best to answer.

zammap
zammap
Posted at

I like this idea. I didn't get it quite away until I saw the CG version. Funny thing is I think I would be able to do both good and bad examples since I work in two styles. LOL

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

That's good, but I'm really looking for people to help me review at the moment. Thank you for showing interest. Hopefully we can draw more attention to this and get more people involved.
That said, I'm going to go check out you stuff and see what you got.

Posted at

I am more than interested! I would like to aid you in your judging and ranking good sir. I have a lot of free time, and I am good with deadlines. I am more that able to accept criticism (for a brief time I was under fire from the anon collective, I've heard it all) and I am competent in writing and in drawing… though I guess that's a biased opinion.

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

I am more than interested! I would like to aid you in your judging and ranking good sir. I have a lot of free time, and I am good with deadlines. I am more that able to accept criticism (for a brief time I was under fire from the anon collective, I've heard it all) and I am competent in writing and in drawing… though I guess that's a biased opinion.

Heh heh heh. I can make Hark and Kevin look down right generous if I wanted to. Glad to hear you're interested. I'd like to get at least ten to twenty steady contributors as well as at least sixty to eighty unique submissions per month. I can handle the site encoding, just in case we decide to for go the standard templates.

Also, How does this look for a preliminary category list?

1) In the beginning: starting a webcomic
2) Oh, hi there: introducing a character
3) Hooking the plot: getting into the plot
4) Action! Action and fight sequences
5) Alas poor Yorick: Killing characters
6) Location! Location! Location: Backgrounds and scenery
7) Endless barrel of exposition: explaining things in your comic's world
8) Love is in the air: Romantic relationships
9) Well when I was your age: Character back-story and flashbacks
10)Time to redecorate: laying out rooms and floor plans.
11)He LIIIIIVES: How to revive/ unkill a character
12)Tear Jerker: How to make a dramatic scene
13)Tread the Line: How to speak about a controversial subject (maybe, this one;s kinda iffy in my book)

I also have some other more genre specific ones that I am going to hold in reserve until this gets up and running good.

I would also like to mention that I will gladly take suggestions for categories. Just keep in mind that they need be relatively broad. "How to write a character with a USB port in their head due to Gov. experiments" is bad. "How to write characters that have a Brain-Computer interface" is much better as it encompasses a broader range of potential story ideas.

Posted at

Categories are broad, I like 'em! And yeah, if needed, I can be brutally honest. I have made people cry… though in retrospect, maybe kicking them was an unnecessary part of the review…
Oh and topic suggestions if I may:
Easter: How to revive/ unkill a character
Tear Jerker: How to make a dramatic scene
Tread the Line: How to speak about a controversial subject

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

Categories are broad, I like 'em! And yeah, if needed, I can be brutally honest. I have made people cry… though in retrospect, maybe kicking them was an unnecessary part of the review…
Oh and topic suggestions if I may:
Easter: How to revive/ unkill a character
Tear Jerker: How to make a dramatic scene
Tread the Line: How to speak about a controversial subject

sounds good. I'll add the to the list.

rmccool
rmccool
Posted at

hum sadly i got bad and ugly examples that fit into about ever category…..

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

I'm willing to be involved, my comic malefic is ripe for exploitation.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

done, pq me to let ,me know you have it or not so if not I can do it again.

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

Thanks

I'd also like to point out that this thread was used as a way to enlist some help. Go to this thread for the current category and the upcoming ones. If you guys would like a place to talk about B.U.G., I'll have the forum up in a jiffy.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

wait, are we meant to nominate sections of our own comics as good and bad?
I dont think I can really judge my own comic that way.
I think my own comic is good…other wise I wouldn't keep posting it!
Wouldn't it be better if I just volunteered my comic and you picked out the sections you liked and disliked as examples?

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

Okay, seems to be some confusion on this point go Here to for clarification.

rmccool
rmccool
Posted at

I dont think I can really judge my own comic that way.
I think my own comic is good…other wise I wouldn't keep posting it!

I view it as more of.. when I posted something I was pleased with them.. yes or I would not of posted the page..now x years later i look at them and think gee I wish i had had a nice friend/editor who could of looked at this and said.. this really needs work you got a good idea but…..

in a way sort of a before and then a redo of the same page might be most helpful first you got the bad… show whats wrong how it falls flat.. show good examples and then redo the bad page.. to show how it looks after its fixed.. maybe I'm wrong but i don't see this as a review/rip it but more " this is bad.. this how to fix it.. unless you fix the bad.. the reader is sort going uuuu how do I use this info… and its just a rip and stomp..in a way to be usefull you almost have to view it as a tutorial.. the older one of my pages is the more ways i can see that it could of been better…I've learned a lot since i started.. and i expect to learn a lot more… i got a long way to go…

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

Eh kinda. It's more like examples of what not to do and what to do. As I said in the thread in my last post, you don't have to submit you own comic. We actually encourage you to make a comic page or what ever specifically for a submission.

Also I'd like to point out that the submissions rules and Categories are found here.

If have questions, go here. That's one of the reasons for the forum.

rmccool
rmccool
Posted at

so trying to be bad on purpose..hum that's a new one for us.. of coarse to be bad on purpose you got to know how to be good..
one category you might think about adding is (who is talking?) placement of people and text that makes you wonder who said that ? and to who..

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

Trust me, we'll probably get a lot of submissions that do that, eventually.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.