Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Eleika
Eleika
Posted at

Edit: The Quack is dead. Please scroll down to the end for more information.

Looking for exposure? The Quack is a great way to get your name out there. Eager to know more? Send me a PM and I will answer all your questions. Er, most of them. I hope.

Eleika
Eleika
Posted at

Thanks to whoever stickied that.

Questions answered here, via pm, or at eleika (at) shaw (dot) ca.

Eleika
Eleika
Posted at

Looking to contribute? Here are our upcoming themes:

July - How I Wasted My Summer Vacation
August - Manga and Amerimanga
September - Flights of Fantasy
October - Creatures of the Shadows
November - In Sprite of it All
December - Wheeee STUFF! (Or, the Joys of Being a Consumer Whore)

Cookie
Cookie
Posted at

I got an idea for a comic submission for july… Don't know when I'll get to it though. So yeah, a submission deadline would be helpful.

Eleika
Eleika
Posted at

Sorry folks, I've been having some serious trouble logging in here.

The deadline for submissions is June 25th. I may extend this to the 27th due to all the login troubles I've had (and therefore not being able to properly reply to queries). However, if you need the extra time, let me know in advance, as I need to have time to proofread submissions and confirm final copies before putting them up for public consumption.

Please e-mail me the submissions as either a text file, microsoft word document, or .jpg (in the case of comics).

For comics, there is a width restriction to 600 pixels. If your comic is larger, either re-size it or contact me to see what can be done to solve the problem.

If you are writing text and certain of your words are emphasized, you are welcome to add the bold/italic/etc tags; however, if you send it as a Word document, I can add them in.

If there are typos in your comic, I will ask you to edit it.

Eleika
Eleika
Posted at

Please note that we are still accepting submissions for later July.

This is due to a format change, whereby the issue will go up in parts on a weekly basis.

If you wish to submit for July, please PM me as soon as possible. Submissions for August (theme: Manga and Amerimanga) will be accepted until July 25th.

Eleika
Eleika
Posted at

The first week of our July issue is now up and available for perusal!

Corvin
Corvin
Posted at

{notes later submission possibilities}

{kicks himself for using his quack submission as his july 1st update because real life prevented it's completion on time}

{plots an extended submission…}

i mean, half of it's already drawn and colored anyway…

Corvin
click my comic… then click back one…

Eleika
Eleika
Posted at

Please note that Kreedance, as assistant editor, will be accepting submissions in the event that you can't get in touch with me.

Eleika
Eleika
Posted at

The definition of sustainable is something that can be kept up indefinitely.

Currently, the Quack is not sustainable.

We need help!

As it stands, there are two people doing regular work - myself and Kreedance. Vince submits his obligatory monthly column, and then if I ask nicely people send along comics or the occasional opinion piece. But the fact remains, I have to go out and ask. And I'm tired of last-minute scrambles when I have other things in my life, like gearing up to go back to school, a novel to edit for publication, and a wedding to plan.

At the rate we're going, I'm going to have a mental breakdown in … oh, the next five minutes.

I don't know how many times I've stressed that this is a community project, not just Eleika's Cool DD Mag. It's EVERYONE'S Cool DD Mag. If people want this to continue, I'm going to need some serious contributions. (Yes, I'm looking at you.)

Believe it or not, you can be a regular contributor - just send something in once a month!

This could be:
- a review
- a tutorial
- a comic
- cover art

We need these things most of all. I've got the interviews covered, and we have opinion pieces up the ying yang, but if you have something else you don't think fits, send it to me anyway and we'll probably be able to squeeze it in.

One of the great things about our switch to a weekly format is that we can accept submissions at any time during the month. I recommend you get it to me earlier than that, but last minute submissions will be accepted. And - and and and - we always welcome early submissions. (Yes, we'll even take your Halloween and Christmas stuff now.)

OK, /rant. This Sunday marks the start of our August issue: Manga and Amerimanga. As of now, you can look forward to a very spartan beginning … but hopefully, with your help, we can change that.

Eleika
Eleika
Posted at

The Quack is dead.

Earlier this evening, we decided on a "hiatus" for the Quack, based on two simple facts: 1) no one's contributing and 2) I am this close to losing it. Now, in the webcomics world, that word tends to foreshadow the death of a comic. In our case, it was no different. Three hours later, we gave up completely.

I don't know what else to say; I already said that this wasn't sustainable. I'm hurt and angry, because when I re-started this e-zine, it was with the promises of several people that I would have a team of regular contributors interested in … well, contributing regularly. Without me having to pound on doors, demanding they produce. Instead, I was left with last minute scrambles as I ran around, begging for articles and art; sleep deprivation and stress; and a counsellor, friends, and family all begging me to give it up for the sake of my health.

The "phoenix" theme still runs rampant through our midst, however, so stay tuned. Something new is coming out of this, but it won't be the Quack.

You guys had your chance with that. Twice.

Posted at

oh my…I'm so sorry that no one contributed. I only recently came back to the community and didn't see this until it was too late.

This is really sad for our community, because it was a really nice thing to have around. I hope that someday in the future we can have something like it again and next time people keep their promises. If you ever get something going again I will be sure to volunteer (and stick to my promises).

Get better, mental sanity is far too underrated, and stress is undeniably a problem. :) *Sending you well wishes*

spambot
spambot
Posted at

Sorry it didn’t work out.

Just remember this sort of thing happens all the time with creative endeavors, so don’t take it personally. It’s very hard to get others to contribute to a project unless it already has a lot of backing (catch 22).

I hope you have a lot of success with your next project!

VegaX
VegaX
Posted at

I think the main problem was that few knew of it.
I for one never visited "The Quack". I have heard of it, but i didn't realise it was a big community project.

Such a thing needs a lot of spotlight to work. People forget. I know that is the case with the various collab/fusion comics we got going on DD now.

Posted at

Y'know, you once asked me to do an interview for the Quack and I said yes, but then you never even responded back to me. If things were so bad, why is that?

I would have been happy to contribute to the Quack.

Posted at

If I had my way (ie a more robust newspost system) the Quack would have been integrated with the main page… things could be put into different boxes or sorted or whatnot. I suppose it isn't too late for that kind of thing, as long as the news system changes at some point.

VegaX
VegaX
Posted at

If I had my way (ie a more robust newspost system) the Quack would have been integrated with the main page…

Good idea!
Would have made "The Quack" more part of the site and not just a small community project that i think a lot of people(including me) wrote it off as.

Neilak20
Neilak20
Posted at

I'm sorry but this really pisses me off. I sent in art for August, and I requested more info on putting together a Tutorial in July so I could have it ready by August! To say there was no one contributeing irks me to no end. I still havent gotten any more info on what format to put my Tutorial in, so naturally ya'll didnt recieve it. I would have done an article as well had you requested.

DD just doesnt seem the same as it used to. Granted no one talked to me then, either. It woulda been nice had someone actually got back to me about the tutorial. I'm new at things, but I woulda done my best.

Edit: And judging from theRedSun's post I wasnt the only one that didnt get any more information after being initially contacted, granted I came to you, no one asked me anything.
Perhaps THAT is why it FAILED. Lack of communication with those ment to contribute!

Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

I'm sorry but this really pisses me off. I sent in art for August, and I requested more info on putting together a Tutorial in July so I could have it ready by August! To say there was no one contributeing irks me to no end

I also sent in a few things ready for August and volunteered to do a regular thing as well. I was going to offer a weekly story (All one story, but the readers get one chapter per issue until the end, then a new one is started)

Zwuh
Zwuh
Posted at

Seems to have been a regretfully doomed project. DD does need more community projects to get people involved and interacting.

Of course sign-ups for Fightsplosion are currently in progress, so if you want to participate in something… 8)

Neilak20
Neilak20
Posted at

I'm sorry but this really pisses me off. I sent in art for August, and I requested more info on putting together a Tutorial in July so I could have it ready by August! To say there was no one contributeing irks me to no end

I also sent in a few things ready for August and volunteered to do a regular thing as well. I was going to offer a weekly story (All one story, but the readers get one chapter per issue until the end, then a new one is started)

So, it wasnt limited to 2 people not getting responses. I think the real reason it collapsed was the management of the Ezine. I'm not suggesting I could do a better job, Cause I know I cant. DD does indeed need some more community projects, but I think that if the people running them dont truely care about keeping them going and communicating with the COMMUNITY then they wont succeed either.

Zwuh
Zwuh
Posted at

DD does indeed need some more community projects, but I think that if the people running them dont truely care about keeping them going and communicating with the COMMUNITY then they wont succeed either.

Well, Fightsplosion has only 4 entry spots left to fill! (He said, totally communicating with the community while also partially hijacking a thread)

If people want to do community things, FS is the current horse to back. 8)

VegaX
VegaX
Posted at

Of course sign-ups for Fightsplosion are currently in progress, so if you want to participate in something… 8)
What a shameless plug. :)

In a more on-topic comment, the Quack website does look VERY, amatuer'ish.
I hope if it is resurrected it can get a more proffesional look, like the before mentioned "delirium" website.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.