Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

The silliest things you remember believing as a kid...

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

You've probably had those beliefs. And you always thought you were right and they were true… 'til later in life when you were shown the error of your ways. Mine? Well…

I used to believe that the wax paper on siopao (a chinese steamed meat bun) was edible. Well, it was… but it wasn't meant to be eaten.

I used to think I had latent superpowers and that everyone had them too… almost injured myself one time trying to "activate" them…

The lyrics in the Transformers theme… The line goes "Autobots wage their battles to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons.". I thought it was "Autobots placed in battle…" (because I thought they were forced to fight their war).

Thanks to the show You Can't Do That on Television (canadian show), I used to think that Australians walked upside down. Then I met an actual Australian. O_O

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

I always all adults had a secret spy/mind reading power that all people get when they're older because they always knew where i was or what i was thinking

I used to sometimes think i was the only one with a real working mind while everyone else was a fake souless fabrication for my world (i was a really spoiled kid )
^There are still adults who believe and act like this

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

There are still adults who believe and act like this
Not that it matters that you would think that because you're just a fake soulless fabrication for my world :)

I wonder who'll bring up religion first and start the crap? Oh, that was me just then. Sorry :(

————
I used to think nuclear weapons were a good thing and that war must be great fun. :)

I used to think that people in different states of this country (Australia) all spoke different languages. I didn't realise it was just a massive island/continent that it was all the same country…

I used to think Elvis was sill alive and the Beatles hadn't split up yet.

warefish
warefish
Posted at

I thought the world was flat. But it had no end. Just a bunch of cities, forests, oceans and winding roads into the infinite.

Before my family and I left for Sydney (when I was living in Adelaide), I thought that Sydney was overseas.

A friend of mine believed his father when he told him that in order to make chicken salt, you had to make a chicken run on a treadmill, then collect the chicken's sweat, and then precipitate the sweat to get the remaining salt. Makes sense though…

lba
lba
Posted at

I thought that my mother was the one human being capable of outsmarting me 100% of the time and that she was the only human being I would never be able to outsmart no matter how hard I tried.

Turns out it's probably true. :/

Posted at

My aunt (who's not all that much older than me) convinced me there was a boogieman in the space beneath the house, and forced me to bring it food offerings at night. This went on for about a week until my grandparents noticed and tried explain that such things weren't real. I remained unconvinced.

Pineapple
Pineapple
Posted at

There was this doorknobby thing on the wall in my parents bedroom. I used to think that it would somehow open up a secret doorway and things would come out there at night. Thinking back, it was probably to tie up the curtains.

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

Ha. Those are some good ones, folks!

I believed it was entirely possible that I could grow up to be Humphrey Bogart. Or at least Indiana Jones. That didn't work out too well. I didn't really understand the whole "if you're born a girl, that's probably the way you're gonna stay" concept.

I believed that I (single-handedly) could save all the endangered species; and the rainforest; and the world. I drew comics about my brother and myself (and our imaginary animal friends) murdering and torturing (in very creative and ironic ways) these "bad guys" who were like, polluting or not recycling or something. (I found some of them recently; good stuff.) I think I wanted to be an eco-terrorist. Which may not be "silly" so much as a bit naive. x_X

Senshuu
Senshuu
Posted at

I believed that all old people had glasses and dentures. ALL of them.

That was because of Rugrats, for some reason.

Posted at

I was convinced that the large wicker laundry hamper at the end of the hallway, only at night, contained monsters (or at least some form of horrible, tangible dread) until I was almost 10. Unfortunately the hamper was right next to the bathroom door so whenever I had to pee in the middle of the night it was a test of courage and sometimes woke someone up with my mad dash.

I also believed until I was 16 that I was a great singer and was deaf to the people telling me I wasn't. I sang all the time, sometimes loudly. When I was 16 someone made a tape of me and made me listen. After that I have never sung in public again unless I can be drowned out, ie birthday songs.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I used to think that girls were boys who'd had something terrible happen to them. :(
I'm glad I was wrong about that one. :)

I used to think adults were a different species who just fooled kids that they used to be kids too once.
This one is true. Now I am an adult I know I was never a kid! Especially not one who belived stupid things.

DMH
DMH
Posted at

When I was in Kindergarten, we had once had this substitute teacher whose english wasn't too good. On that day, it was near easter and our class had to do something for Palm Sunday (Went to Catholic Schoo), so a few of us were picked out to be apostles. Problem was, when the teacher tried to say apostles, it sounded like she was saying possums. So for about a week, until my grandmother corrected me, I thought Jesus was followed everywhere by anthropomorphic marsupials. And i found out I wasn't the only one

There was also this time where I was the page boy at my aunt and uncle's wedding. Dressed in a tux, walking hand-in-hand with the flower girl who was in a dress similar to my aunt's, I honestly thought I got married to said flower girl. But I was three at the time.

Last one, I used to keep hanging up no smoking signs to try and get my dad to get off the cigarettes. It didn't exactly work.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I used to believe sperm was passed through kissing.

In junior high school I posted Big Brother is Watching You posters in the hallways.

Senshuu
Senshuu
Posted at

Oh yeah, and I used to believe that the soul was a physical organ. It was kind of green and kidney-shaped and resided between your liver and stomach. *nods* No clue where I got that one.

ShinuZero
ShinuZero
Posted at

Santa, and that I could do a KaMeHaMeHa if I trained enough.

Koshou
Koshou
Posted at

When I was a kid my mom told me that I have "spots" on my leg (from a skin condition that I was born with) because my real mother was a leopard.

I ended up repeating this story to a doctor who asked about my skin. My poor mom was mortified.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

i believed in the basic things that all kids are told about, santa claus, the easter bunny etc.

i dont ever remember being told that none of these exsisted, just one christmas i remember thinking santa was real, and the next not having ever believed it. the way my parents told me must have been so traumatic that i blocked it off.

———–

you know what? i'm not even going to go there, i think i'm going to go wash my thoughts with soap.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I thought I could fly if I came up with a good set of wings. Usually I used pillow cases. I jumped off the roof of our storage shed a few times.

I thought there was poisonous lead in the dirt that would kill us. I was so scared when I saw my sister playing in mud, I'd cry.

My sister convinced me that her grade school teacher had a shrinking machine, and they would shrink down at recess and play in the toys. When I got to that grade, I couldn't find the machine. My sister's teacher was actually teaching her new grade at the time, and she convinced me that the teacher brought the machine with her.

I was also under the delusion that my sister always had my best interest in mind. She once told me she'd help me get a loose tooth out. I let her blindfold me. Then she punched me in the face.

A couple times, I thought I was a boy because my hair was short, I wore swim trunks, and I played with boy toys (not like that…). My sister and I got Power Wheels for our birthdays. Hers was a lilac-colored car. Mine was a yellow four-wheeler. The weird thing is that a high school classmate confessed to me that when we were in kindergarten, she thought I was a boy and had a crush on me…

I believed that if I wasn't asleep before midnight, witches would come and throw me into a cauldron. I think someone told me at some time that it was the "witching hour." And that was my interpretation.

I believed that if I wished hard enough, I could bring my stuffed animals to life. I also believed that they came to life while I was asleep, and every morning I used to check to see if they were in the same place they were the night before.

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

I was incredibly shocked when I found out that other television sets showed the same shows as my one at exactly the same time.

Oh, and I used to think that a nearby radio tower as actually the Eiffel Tower.

In retrospect, I think I might have been dropped on the head a few too many times as a baby and as a young adult.

Nergal
Nergal
Posted at

Hmm I can't think of a single thing.

My childhood must've sucked.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

My best friend and I used to be convinced that there was a ghost in my house…I think it started because a popsicle on a plate moved by itself or something. Anyways, that ended when one day the "ghost" was throwing clothing down the stairs. I went to the bottom of the stairs to investigate, and got hit in the head with a shoe. This was immediately followed by an apology from my dad.

I can't think of any others, though I'll have to ask my parents. I was kind of a pessimistic child. One time I was reading a book about pirates with my dad when I was little, and I turned to him and asked "Dad, why are there no adventures in the real world?" I guess I had discovered that the world wasn't really full of pirates and unicorns. He tried to convince me that there were real adventures, like having kids, but I didn't fall for that.

Posted at

I used to believe that I had some sort of superpower. Like spider-man's web or something.

I also used to believe that I could never die. I thought I was cool because when I walked out of a store, I never got hit by a car.

lmao.
I was a weird kid.

Posted at

I used to believe that everything on TV and that the mythological creatures were all real…. even the cartoons. that's just they all lived in different universes or pocket dimensions. And that the TVs were just showing recordings of what actually went on in the other dimensions, alongside with what was actually happening in our world. And that the people who wrote about different worlds, the mythological creatures, etc had actually gone to that other pocket dimensions for studies and to collect stories from the universes and dimensions.

Edit: So I'd fantasize about going to another world and having an epic adventure…and I wanted this so badly… not just so that I could lead a cool life, but so that I could be on TV then. following the logic up above, I thought that if I was having an adventure in another world… my own tv would be naturally recording my adventure and then broadcast it all over the world.

Man, talk about silly.

I also believed that one could become an superhero when one grew up. So I had aspirations to become an superheronie and would actually "train" for it at times. I was massively dispointed when there wasn't actually any job market for superheroes, and that they didn't exist.

While that's kind of a cool idea in itself, I now realize how stupid it had been to believe that EVERYTHING was real….:p

Walrus
Walrus
Posted at

1. If I took my clothes off, someone would steal my penis.
2. Women had penises.
3. The men in the milk section actually lived there behind all the milk.
(I was a pervert even back then, 2 out of 3 are about penises.)

Chernobog
Chernobog
Posted at

I thought hangnails were a thing called 'papers'. I think I mistook someone's explanation of a papercut at some point.

I also remember thinking that the reason people fought was because they weren't honest with each other and a sincere talk could solve anything.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.