Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

This is sad

Chelano
Chelano
Posted at

Ok I haven't been on DD for a LONG time and I finally came back to support. I see alot of artists that I missed and now they are back drawing as good as ever. But what happened to DD. I see some sprite comics on here that are ok. But there is ALOT of crap on here. Stupid sprite comics or comics drawn with one line or whatnot.

There has to be something we can do. Like I dunno. Choose a few people to search around the site and delete those comics that have no meaning or something.

I just can't stand to see the Duck clustered with this stuff

lukee
lukee
Posted at

It's been said that the best thing about DrunkDuck is that anyone can get published.
It's also been said that the worst thing about DrunkDuck is that anyone can get published.

But seriously. DrunkDuck is a community comic site for EVERYBODY. The Duck does not discriminate: anybody's welcome to post their works, no matter how "crappy" they may be. So let's not go on crazy vendettas against sprite comics/one liners/MSPaint stuff/comics about polygons, 'kay?

warofwinds
warofwinds
Posted at

What makes (or is it "made" now?) the Duck site great is that it is non-discrimatory based on skill. People grow and evolve, as do their skills. But they need an audience, they need criticsm, in order to do so. If the Duck starts booting people off because "they're not good enough," where does that leave everyone, and who sets the standard? Where is the bar? Don't associate with comics you don't like, and damn man, don't bash someone else's work just because you don't like it. Everyone starts somewhere.

Edit: dang, Lukee, you beat me to it :P

Chelano
Chelano
Posted at

I dont mean to just boot people off. Just the ones you know are being stupid. I havent been on DD in so long. Is there a thing that is someone doesn't updat in years it will kick you off? I don't remember.

But yeah I guess you right guys. DD has always been free and stuff. It is just I saw a couple really dumb comics. But then again. I shouldn't say anything.

Sorry about the post guys

lukee
lukee
Posted at

I dont mean to just boot people off. Just the ones you know are being stupid. I havent been on DD in so long. Is there a thing that is someone doesn't updat in years it will kick you off? I don't remember.

But yeah I guess you right guys. DD has always been free and stuff. It is just I saw a couple really dumb comics. But then again. I shouldn't say anything.

Sorry about the post guys

No prob. We can all get a little peeved after seeing dumb sprite comic after dumb sprite comic after dumb sprite comic.

Chelano
Chelano
Posted at

tater salad….isnt he the guy who makes fun of them. I think he is. I remember laughing at it. It is crazy. I see so many sprite comics that have decent story lines. If only they had the decent graphics. oh well

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Lock it now man, we all know exactly where it'll go… :toimonster:

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

Before any lockage, let me validate the conversation a little by saying that the lower you set the bar for entry, the more crap you'll see. The easier it is to make a webcomic, the lamer the webcomics you'll find. It's now easier to make a webcomic than ever.

I think the best solution is making the good comics more prominent on Drunk Duck. I actually think they've done a great job with the customizable front page. In a system that favors new comics over good long-lasting ones, you can still catch the best of DD by looking at most-read and most-favorite lists.

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

What's the worry if crappy comics are on DrunkDuck? We seem to be (mostly) a smart, cynical crowd, so if a comic sucks, we just don't read it and eventually the person gives up and the comic dies.

Posted at

There was, but after a terrible disaster/mistake where it deleted most peoples' comics at a new year's rollover it hasn't been reinstated.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

everybody used to draw like shit. nobody was born that can draw like picasso at one day old… lol… :-D

Posted at

I'm also getting sick of the oversaturation of sprites in the lists.

I think a solution would be to put all the sprites in it's own listing.

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

There quite a lot more, "unfavorable comics", on the Duck now than in 2004. Maybe it's because word of mouth that spreads on this internet about free hosting for any type of comic? "Dude, there's this place on the internet that host comics for free! OMG!1, Wait, I have no artistic talent. Well then, let make a sprite comic!"

Well, there is a catagory. :wink:

Plus, one of the best strips I've seen is a Flash comic with stick figures (Such a Simple Life).

It's actually a gif comic, I'm surprised of what the man can do with gifs. 8)

.: Myxomatosis :.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Such a Simple Life has something other stick figure comics don't: Animation and…oh, I dunno, funny stuff in it?!

If you're a sprite comic, there'd better be humor, because sprites don't work in none-video game based series situations.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Lock it now, please, please stem this atrocity…

Yeah, their own third separate category might be a good idea for sprites. That would give them more visibility on the front page, but it'd also make other people happy as well. That’s a great idea Sub!

This thread has yielded one really good idea, I think that’s the best we can hope for. Please lock it now before it just turns to another sprite basher?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Well, it's in the top 25 most read strips, because it is one of the most read strips. Nothing wrong with that.

It's not on the top 25 though, because there isn't one. We do have a top 50 though for both stips and stories and nothing on the most read lists ever gets on those. :P

juggs
juggs
Posted at

i dont see what all the fuss is about.

but then again i'm a nub, so i'll just stand back here and know my role.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Your role is just as important as anyone else Juggs. Welcome to the forums!

Chelano
Chelano
Posted at

wow. This thread went farther then I thought. After being on DD again after a couple years. I finally went and looked at more comics. I actually see some pretty good sprite comes.

Hey maybe if DD becomes famous…it can have different sites. HAHAH like ebay.

Like you can have

DD: Books
DD: Strips
DD: Sprites
DD: Nude pi….errr yeah you get my point

man i have missed being on DD. It really is nice to be back

VegaX
VegaX
Posted at

I'm also getting sick of the oversaturation of sprites in the lists.

My biggest concern with that type of comic however, is most of them seem to revolve around copyrighted characters such as "Megaman" and "Pokémon".

I know that in the early days of the duck, using official movie/game characters wasn't liked/allowed, but things have obviously changed.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.