Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

I'm taking this discussion from the TD to GD, since it's happening here too. For the people who haven't figured it out, Midge was posting *response, just because* in a bunch of threads a while ago, which sparked a conversation about people who post in the forums just to post in the forums, rather than adding something to the content. I'll be the first to admit that I was one of them, but as soon as it got pointed out, I stopped doing it, since I too find it massively annoying having to check every thread while they're maybe two threads that actually have a new addition.

The forums aren't some chatroom. Sure, sometimes a thread gets a bit derailed, it's what I do best, but I try to get back on subject eventually. There's a bunch of people that'll just post a single sentence response to the erson above them, expecting an answer, and when they get that answer, they reply to that. It's not the way to go. If you want to know something, PQ or IM the person, but don't treat the thread as an instant messenger.
It's annying to come into the forums and seeing that there's a bunch of new posts, and you go to check the threads, but it turns out that one single guy has ust been posting useless responses to everything. For me, it resulted in evading the threads that person last posted in, 'cuz it's no fun anymore. So try to avoid useless posting, if possible, since it doesn't really improve the general mood in the forums

Secondly, try avoiding posting in old (or dead) threads. It happens every now and then that a person digs deep into the forums only to dig up a thread that died out months ago, and respond to that. Now, if it sparks a whole new conversation, no harm done, but personally, if I see a thread that was first posted somewhere in January, I don't bother with it. Old shit is old. The annoying part about this is that the active threads get pushed to the back, making them harder to find, causing annoyance amongst all. People'll have fun in a thread, and then all of a sudden they sign on to fine the forums full of necroposted threads, and the ones they were discussing in nowhere to be found. I know it annoys me. Try to not do it.

As a disclaimer, I had to learn it too. When I first came here I posted on a lot of threads, not always adding content to the discussion, but I learned my lesson. I hope that others will learn from this too. There, now you can't call me hypocrite. Sorry I ranted.

Posted at

Fuck yes, it's about damn time someone spoke up about this.

Someone recently (I will name no names) actually responded to a thread by saying he had nothing to contribute. WHY? What the hell is going through someones head when they post a a reply stating that they have nothing to actually reply with? It's like standing in the middle of a large crowd of people yelling gobbledygook for absolutely no reason.

So in conclusion whine whine whine.

I too used to do this, I feel so dirty

Posted at

That is good. If it is not on the first page of the Forums, It's dead and uesless.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Fuck yes, it's about damn time someone spoke up about this.

Someone recently (I will name no names) actually responded to a thread by saying he had nothing to contribute. WHY? What the hell is going through someones head when they post a a reply stating that they have nothing to actually reply with? It's like standing in the middle of a large crowd of people yelling gobbledygook for absolutely no reason.

So in conclusion whine whine whine.

I too used to do this, I feel so dirty
I totally know that's bekefel in the advertising discussion.
I don't think I do this Rutger…I don't THINK…I'll definatly not now…

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

You just did: 'Name something you can't get on the Internet'. Just look in the date difference.

Fenn
Fenn
Posted at

You just did: 'Name something you can't get on the Internet'. Just look in the date difference.
In fairness to crocty, the difference between his post and the one before it is a little over an hour. The guy before him, however, has been necroposting all over the place just like several other new members have done recently.

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

In fairness to crocty, the difference between his post and the one before it is a little over an hour. The guy before him, however, has been necroposting all over the place just like several other new members have done recently.

That's also one of the guys I was talking about. I don't think he read this thread yet though, since he just did it again. Maybe the big wad of text scared him, or he felt guilty so he's all like "I'll just ignore it, and maybe it'll go away!"
Who knows.

Posted at

Okay, I get it, I posted way to much, I'll stop with the twenty posts in a minute, and focus on whats on the first page, I'll take that to mind.

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

I don't see the harm in posting in and old topic, especially if you have something to say that is of some relevance.

I frown upon non-relevant posting regardless, old threads or no.

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

I think it's fine to post in an old topic, especially if you really want to talk about whatever that topic is about, rather than start a new, redundant topic. The problem is if one is just looking for a way to boost one's post count (whatever that will accomplish). Basically I say if you're going to post in a thread farther back than the second page, you'd better at least have a paragraph's worth of additional commentary to add.

Posted at

I put alot of thought into this since readin it several hours ago and I gotta say you guys are all very up your own asses now aren't you? There are posts that definitively fall into the category of useless but who is to say what's useless? Not everyone has a whole heaping lot to say. What about people who aren't big "talkers" and just want to thrown in an agreement or something? The whole "I don't wanna read" spiel, I'm sorry Rut but F**K YOU. This is the internet, a place of only vsual treats. You can read and look at pictures. If it's a useless post and someone just said "K" or something then guess what? You read a letter. That's why it was useless, you lost no time of your life. Maybe if you used an Apple 2 or something that ran on lil better then DOS and it took you 20 minutes to load the page then you can bitch, if it takes less then a minutes, a full 60 seconds to load a page then get over it. Obviously if you're on the internet doing webcomics you don't have much better to do anyway. I LOVE my comic, my life revolves around it but I don't put a great stake of importance in regards to anything else then the fact that I love it into ANYTHING. My time isn't worth any more or less then any of you. Let's not forget that this is a place of enjoyment and every one enjoys different things. Let's not forget we keep ADULT comics on this site, so whether the forums get a few posts of unimportance isn't going to make this place any more or less respectable. Put some perspective into things people.

I really don't like being a douche bag, I don't. But that needed to be said.

That said though I don't like the posts any more then you guys, I jes don't bitch. I have real things to bitch about.

Oh and you know I loves you Rut. ^__^ Nothing personal.

…Very tempted not to post…Don't want backlash…Screw it. Hate me.

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

Now I feel bad…Thanks, dammit.

Might I add, however, that I'm not talking about people agreeing or stuff like that. Lord knows I post a lot of useless stuff. I'm talking about the really, REALLY redundant posts, the ones that

Oh what the hell, screw it. Gobbledygook.

Posted at

Like I said, I had to say it because it needed to be said. I really didn't wanna be the bad guy.

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

You're not the bad guy, you're the opposition. Can't have a discussion without an opposition. And I agree on most parts, but you gotta admit it's kinda annoying when you check the forums, and the last 20 threads have posts from the same guy who just posts useless stuff in every thread…

Posted at

Not really. It really and truly doesn't bother me. I'm constantly reading through the threads, but I only post in ones I like. And if I don't agree with something some one has said I might say something but generally atthis point I look for certain people. Not bad ones, good ones. Like I came to this thread cuz I'd seen Rutger posted in it. I don't remember the peopel who post useless stuff, I only remember people who post things I'm interested in or enjoy reading. The rest I let slide. Like I said I have real things to worry about and bother me. This is my escape and no escape is ever perfect, but even in its flaws I remain content.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

I have nothing to say about this.

Posted at

And mlai is loved so much why?

Jkin'.

Oh and something elseI thought was funny Rut, I spent more time here on this thread DEBATING about useless posts then I have actually reading what I consider useless posts. So live with that on your conscience.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

keep em posting.

let them exercise their freedom of speech. (unless drunkduck is located in a fascist country or something. lol!)

Posted at

ill prolly lock the post or del noncontributing posts

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

I put alot of thought into this since readin it several hours ago and I gotta say you guys are all very up your own asses now aren't you?

Hey. Don't be an ass.

Posted at

keep em posting.

let them exercise their freedom of speech. (unless drunkduck is located in a fascist country or something. lol!)

There was never a paragraph here.

It doesn't matter what country it's in, the internet doesn't follow meat law. If they want to ban you for using the letter 'K', praising Tuesday, or for no reason whatsoever there is nothing you can do because it's up to them, not the laws of whatever country you happen to be in.

Why does no one understand this?

Posted at

By that logic Trout why should there be nice days when you sit in on the internet? Why write comics when you can write books? Just because you have the ability to do something doesn't mean you have to use it and not everyone can think of something clever or witty ALL the time.

Posted at

By that logic Trout why should there be nice days when you sit in on the internet? Why write comics when you can write books? Just because you have the ability to do something doesn't mean you have to use it and not everyone can think of something clever or witty ALL the time.

No, that'd putting an ability to use in two separate scenarios, I'm saying that people don't need a right if they never use that right.

That said, it was an incredibly stupid thing to write. I'm going to edit it now and pretend I never said it.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.